Am I feeding Jupe enough?

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my kitty Jupe 1/4th cup a day of dry food (Nutro Max Indoor Roasted Chicken flavor). He also eats 1/2 a can of wet food (Nutro's Oceanfish & Rice) per day (one part in the morning and one part at night).

By the end of the day he has only a few pieces of dry food in his dish and he eats up all his wet food (which I mix with a little hot water).

I am guessing he weights about 8lbs, maybe a tad more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
30 views and no one has yet to reply? Jupe is MY first kitty and I just want to be sure that I am being fair with him about his food

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jupe is 1 1/2 years old and active. He will be more active when he gets a new friend in a month or two.

So, feed him a whole entire can a day? That seems like quite a bit to me for some reason.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
don't know if this will help...
my wet food eaters get a 6 ounce can each night - there are 3 of them, weighing about 8 pounds, 10 pounds & 16 pounds.
in addition, all 5 get about 2 cups of kibble, total, per day. they never eat all of it, tho.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Active cats need more food. Try giving 3/4 can and see if he finishes it. Then you will know his appetite. I think it is good you are measuring the dry because free feeding can lead to obesity.
Does he seem hungry?
My three all have different appetites.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He will always screams for food or attention...I can't tell. He always wants to be near me and is a big talker. I can try giving him a little more and see how he does.

He is a Siamese mix, so I know he is a little more sleek looking in his body style, but it looks "skinny" to me. He has a little tubby belly and his bones don't stick out or anything.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex used to underfeed the cats sometimes not realizing that they were as active as they were. I also give treats twice a day.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by undergunfire

He will always screams for food or attention...I can't tell. He always wants to be near me and is a big talker. I can try giving him a little more and see how he does.

He is a Siamese mix, so I know he is a little more sleek looking in his body style, but it looks "skinny" to me. He has a little tubby belly and his bones don't stick out or anything.
if his bones aren't sticking out, he's probably not too skinny... there's a scale here for evaluating a cats weight that you can compare him to, if that helps.
i have a long, sleek kitty, too - Java.

smirkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most sources recommend an active adult cat weighing more than 5 lbs and less than 10 lbs should get between 6-12oz of wet food a day. Thats a pretty wide range for both the cat weight and the food amount. My cats (both about 10 lbs) get approximately 4.5 oz of wet each per day and eat as much kibble as they'd like. They get 1.5 oz in the morning and 3 oz in the evening. I put 3/4 cup kibble in 2 bowls each day, and replenish if it gets too low. Both cats seem to be maintaining their weight, and they do not appear over or underweight according to the charts in the vets office.

I'd suggest giving your cat a bit more wet food for awhile, but keep an eye on his physical appearance. Weight can't really tell you if a cat is over or under weight, because (like people) they're all built differently. I tried to find a chart online, but didnt have much luck. If you do find one, please pay more attention to the view of your cat from above than the one from the side. Some cats have a pooch, or little flap of skin below their belly, and some people think that means their cat is fat, but its really just a characteristic of some cats.

undergunfire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I gave my JuJu 1/2 a can of wet food this morning. I think the cans are 5.5 oz. He ate all of it. I will try him with eating 1 can of wet a day with 1/4th cup of dry food a day.

I'll check out that chart, too. Thank you