I think I'm in for a long night.....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just opened the door to let the dogs in. Now, I'm used to getting a few moths or mosquitoes in the house during the summer (yes, we have a bug zapper, but DH has yet to move the porch light further away from 6" from the door, hence the moths and mosquitoes) but this time we have a new "resident"....a firefly.

I saw it fly in...like I could miss it! And I tried to catch it, but all I did is make it fly away...INSIDE my house. Now, I usually wouldn't care. I LOVE fireflies and I don't care if it wants to live here. BUT...I don't want to wake up to my house being trashed by the cats and I KNOW that is going to happen.

Right now, most of the house lights are still on, and I can't see it. I'm NOT staying awake all night trying the catch the little bugger! I'm signing off for now (who knows...you may see me back on in a few hours ready to tear my hair out!)

ldpeterson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't get to see fireflys very often around here, but good luck with it! Hope the cats catch it without taking down too many knick knacks in the process.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mean there are places with no fireflies?
We have far fewer of them here in Texas than we did in Ohio when we used to go there in the summers, but... oh gosh. I'm so sorry to hear that! There's nothing prettier than a meadow at twilight when the fireflies come out...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Awww, that is so sad! Fireflies were part of my childhood! I used to catch them and try to make my own "lantern" out of an old mayo jar. It never worked though (poor flies...). Now, I just enjoy them from a distance.

I haven't seen as many lately as I used to but that could be because I'm not hunting them now.

BTW, the house is fine. A few things were knocked off the table but no major damage, and Harley is strutting around with a very satisfied look on his face, so I think he was the winner!

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, not all places have fireflies, or as we called them in Ohio, lightning bugs. We don't have them in Las Vegas, I guess because of the intense heat.

I used to catch them as a kid and keep them in a jar that had holes punched in the lid. I never realized how mean that was and that they needed to be let out.

They are beautiful and I miss them!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I was surprised to see that, too. We have them everywhere over here, and I love them!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we have tons of them at my parents house in the summer as well
even their dog likes to try and eat them! lol

hah i'm going to try and be a smart alec and say
id you guys know it's only the males that light up? There is a chemical inside them that once they are mature they can ( I think ) only for one night light up to try and attract a female
just like a guy to try and sparkle to impress a lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't realize only the males could light up. Why is it the males always get the cool abilities? Oh well, I guess female praying matises make up for the injustice!

Yeah, we call them lightning bugs here too, but I wasn't sure if people would know what I was talking about calling it that.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mz Kitty

No, not all places have fireflies, or as we called them in Ohio, lightning bugs. We don't have them in Las Vegas, I guess because of the intense heat.

I used to catch them as a kid and keep them in a jar that had holes punched in the lid. I never realized how mean that was and that they needed to be let out.

I call them lightning bugs too.
Must be a northern thing. I thought I seen one the other evening but I wasn't sure.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

Lightning bugs or fireflies (yes, it is a northern vs southern name ) are only found EAST of the Mississippi River.
I grew up in Apple Valley MN and we had them.
That's west of the Mississippi. We also saw them all the time when we lived in Davenport Iowa.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mz Kitty

We loved them when we spent summers in the Catskill Mountains! We put them in jars with holes in the lids, too.

I also miss lightning and thunder storms at night during the summer. We really don't get them here, although there are ones in the mountains.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
they have the get the attention of the females somehow otherwise we would just ignore them right? lol