In search of a treadmill... any wisdom to share?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After years of slothfulness, I've been walking every single day for over two months now, and I'm just silly proud of how much fitter I'm becoming!
But because of the increasing heat and humidity, I'm taking shorter walks now, instead of continuing to build up my endurance... and soon, the heat will be so bad that even walking at the crack of dawn won't be an option.

I know myself: if I have to drive to a mall to walk, I just won't do it -- at least not every day, and I don't want to break that good habit. So I'm looking for a used treadmill.

I used to have a non-motorized treadmill, and it was completely worthless, so I know I want an electronic one. I'm going to look at one tomorrow that's $95 -- it's a Precor 9.1, in "almost-new" shape, the gentleman says. From what I can find out, that's a good brand... right? The 9.1 is an older model, no longer being made... but the price is right.

Anybody know a bit about these things? I'd sure love to have some advice!

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a "ProForm" and love it. The best advice I can give is to make sure it has a long enough platform so that you can take a long stride and still be on the thing! Some of the cheaper models are very short and your stride has to be short. And what's important to me is the sound it makes. If it's too loud (motor-wise), you won't be able to listen to TV while you are walking. I watch Oprah which I've recorded while I am on the treadmill. It helps pass the time and before I know it, I've walked a good distance.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, seeing that I just helped my brother buy one
I feel I can offer you some good advice.

First of all, make sure the treadmill you get is for your weight. Not all treadmills are created equal.

Also forget about those fold up ones. They don't last. They break at the hinge area and are mega expensive to fix.

You don't need all kinds of fancy gizmos like a cardio TV screen or fan for a home model. If you want a fan, put a table fan beside you and turn it on

You do want one that you can program for terrain though and that you can incline. Both of those features will help you tailor a more challenging workout because not all surfaces are flat.

You also want at least a 3.0 horsepower motor

So far as $95.00 for a treadmill goes. Let's just say you get what you pay for. For a good treadmill you are looking at about $2,000.00 (at least here they are that much) or more. Most places offer financing. My brother bought his from a place here called "Treadmill Express" and got credit through them and is paying monthly.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carol, it's true, you DO get what you pay for. But $2000 is a bit steep if you aren't positive that you will use it every day. The more expensive models are nice and can handle a person actually jogging or running on it.

I paid $500 for mine (it was on sale, down from $750) at a reputable sporting goods store. It has plenty of features for me, including the ability to incline and keep track of my miles and calories burned. I walk on it, I don't jog, but it's very sturdy and I love it. If you want to do some searching the web, mine is the Pro-Form 415 S. Their website is www.proform.com and maybe you can look it over.

Just checks the Sunday ads each week and I'm sure you will find one on sale, especially when they come out with newer models and try to clear out the ones they haven't sold.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine I bought several years ago and it is made by True which at that time was the only treadmill made in the USA and had the longest warranty available-5 years!!

It was the same brand used at many local health clubs and I got the bottom of the line was for $1600!!. Its worth every penny though.

Mine still only supports people with weight up to 250#. Has built in programs and the grade goes up quite high and so does the mph!! It is a great investment (as for that $$ it is an investment). Its quite heavy too-it would take two men to move!!

I'm sure they have a website!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wisdom is get an ellipitical - I
those things, they are so much more fun than the treads. The heart rate display is a plus, I think they are pretty neat. Mine is in front of the TV, I find this helps me when I watch something I like or turn on some music (also on the TV). If you are set on a treadmill they seem to always be for sale at garage sells and craigslist and the like, you could probably get a good deal if you knew what to look for in a treadmill and weren't dead set on a new one.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Precor is a good brand. I presume this is VERY used or they are desperate to unload it. Make sure you try it out before you buy it.... hope I am not telling you something stupid. Another option is Play It Again Sports ... if you have them there... you might be able to get a good deal on a machine and they will deliver (for a fee of course).

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

My wisdom is get an ellipitical - I
those things, they are so much more fun than the treads. The heart rate display is a plus, I think they are pretty neat. Mine is in front of the TV, I find this helps me when I watch something I like or turn on some music (also on the TV). If you are set on a treadmill they seem to always be for sale at garage sells and craigslist and the like, you could probably get a good deal if you knew what to look for in a treadmill and weren't dead set on a new one.
I second the eliptical! I have both. I started with a treadmill. I used it, oh... Two weeks? It wasn't nearly as fun as walking. Finally I got an eliptical, and that works much better for me! Not only do I use it more because I like it better, but it's quieter (than my treadmil was) and it works arms, too.

But if you've done your research and know that, for you, a treadmil would be best, then I second (or third, or whatever), that you need a quiet one. If you can't talk to someone or watch TV or *do* something else other than just "tread", it can get boring fast.

Good for you for being so dedicated!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! Great advice! Based on your input and some further research, I eliminated several of the treadmills I'd inquired about -- but that Precor 9.1 just kept calling to me, so I went down to see it this morning.

It's 67 inches long, big enough for a good long stride. It's a rock-solid non-folding model with a well-padded platform, so it doesn't feel like walking on concrete. It has an easy while-walking incline adjustment, and the screen has readouts for speed, distance, time, and calories burned. It also has some pre-set programs, but since I don't have the manual, I don't know how to use that feature. I may figure it out eventually, or maybe the manufacturer can PDF me the manual (it's not on their website, though).

Anyway, it works very smoothly and very quietly. Mom wants to use it too, so I'm very glad it has that magnetic-clip safety feature.

I did think about ellipticals, as some of you suggested, and I had tried one out at a store -- but I wasn't certain the motion of the elliptical was one I could be as successful with as I've proven I can be with simple walking, y'know? I wanted to buy a machine I'm sure I can use, so I stuck with the treadmill. And the nice thing is, if I decide I need an elliptical at some future point, I can still afford it -- because I only spent $95 on this!

I have to admit, I was suspicious about the low price too -- but I can find nothing wrong with this treadmill at all. In fact, I can find no sign that it's ever been used! Even the soft foam around the handrails shows no wear at all.

The reason for the price seems to be that it's an older model. It was used only briefly by the mother of the man I bought it from -- she had heart trouble and hoped the machine would help her stay in shape. Sadly, though, she passed away last year. I got the impression that her son is having a hard time parting with her things, and maybe he just wasn't interested in profiting much from them. (He must be rich, by the way -- he lives in a beautifully restored older home on the banks of a wooded creek down in a part of Dallas where the houses sell for something like $700,000. It was such a lovely place!)

So I bought it! (The treaadmill -- not the home!
) And then I bought my neighbor a tank of gas and we went down in his truck and picked the machine up this afternoon. I've got a fan trained on it, and I'm going to put a tape/CD player on the end table beside it so I can wear 'phones and listen to books on tape while I walk!

So now neither rain nor snow nor dark of night nor Rottweiler nor knife-wielding thug nor lethal Texas sun shall stay this walker from her appointed rounds!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay, Carol!!! I know I feel better when I exercise... and in particular, when I do strength/resistance training along with the aerobic stuff.

Build up your strength and THEN get an elliptical b/c they are a terrific workout... harder than a TM.

AB

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yay, Carol!!! I know I feel better when I exercise... and in particular, when I do strength/resistance training along with the aerobic stuff.

Build up your strength and THEN get an elliptical b/c they are a terrific workout... harder than a TM.

AB
Elipticals are hard on the knees. I tried one in my physical rehab program under the guidance of a physiotherapist so that I could try varying my cardio routine. But I couldn't even do a minute on it because my knees started to ache.

You can get a very good work out on a tradmill by applying an incline and adding speed.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Elipticals are hard on the knees. I tried one in my physical rehab program under the guidance of a physiotherapist so that I could try varying my cardio routine. But I couldn't even do a minute on it because my knees started to ache.

You can get a very good work out on a tradmill by applying an incline and adding speed.
Actually, I've always heard the opposite. Ellipticals are better on the knees than treadmills. I have really bad knees, and the elliptical is so much better for me. When I would use the treadmill, I had constant pressure being put on my knees and other joints. With the elliptical, you're not moving you're feet up and down, you're merely striding with the motion of the foot pedals. Plus, especially if people are running on the treadmill, you're having hard pressure put on your knee each time you're foot hits the treadmill. With the elliptical, you're feet rarely leave the platform.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i got a recumbent stationary bicycle, also used, for $80. [don't use it as much as i should, tho
]. i've been quite pleased w/it.
it also converts to a sort of elliptical, too.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carol, sounds like you got yourself a real bargain. Mine has all those features and it's nice to have them, especially the fact that you can change incline while you are walking.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Now the key is to use the darned thing