Mom cat and 1 week old kitten...I'm tramatized

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been keeping a close eye on mom and her 5 kittens. Casey (mom) did everything she was suppose to do and has been taking care of all the kittens as she should. I did notice that one kitten seemed much smaller then the rest, but I figured as long as it was nursing from mom, it would be fine, and I've been keeping a close eye on them all.

I had checked up on them the other day, and everything seemed fine, so I went to relax and watch some TV in the evening. Just before I went to bed I went to check up on the kittens, to my horror, I find the smallest kitten dead and sadly Casey had eated part of the kitten!!! I was and is still quite upset about this. I have always heard about such things, but never knew anyone that this happened to, so I just figured it was an ol' wives tale. How common is this? I can still see the kitten lying there....ugh. I'm seriously tramatized by this. I love cats and have been a cat owner my whole life, but this is the first female cat I've owned and I'm learning alot about them!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am so sorry you had to witness this. I've dealt with moms that abdoned kittens and they died, but never one that ate part. Its not common; obviously something was wrong with the kitten and she felt that it should not live. I know people will want to save all the kittens, but sometimes I think Mother Nature knows best.

I think you could have dealt better finding the kitten had just died and then gotten rid of the little body.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry that you had to see this. I would be traumatized, too.

The nature of cats is not to leave anything for predators to smell. If her kitten was sick or had already passed away she was just trying to protect her remaining babies from any "predators".

Are the remaining kittens all eating well and doing ok? How old are they? Do you have a scale to weigh them?

Again I am so sorry

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Like I posted, I was keeping an eye on the kitten, it seemed to be doing fine only thing was it was smaller then the others. And if I had seen it had died or was sick I obviously would have removed it. I think it all happened within an hour or so, I was only away from them that long, so I know in my heart I couldn't have done anything further to stop Casey from eating the kitten.

I've been keeping a very close eye on the rest of the kittens and they all seem fine and mom is nursing them and doing all she should be. But I'm still sad that this occurred, I wish I didn't have to be the one to witness the aftermath of it, I won't go into details, but it was far from pleasant to see. I was completely horrified to go and check on my cat and her kittens, and find what I did...I do not wish it on anyone not even my worst enemy!!

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ohh, they're only 1 1/2 weeks old now, no I don't have a scale but they have grown, I'd say tripled in weight in such a short time. They're eating constantly, and I check them all the time, making sure they're tummy's are full etc etc.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes visable symptoms do not show, but there may have been something internally that only mom cat could tell on that kitten.

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup, anything is possible, I don't know about anyone else, but implying I'm to blame for the death of a kitten, doesn't help...it's too late now, and I will forever be tramatised by this. Thanks for your "kind" words of encouragement...being that this was my first thread to post here..it's a very pleasant welcome. I see who's sympathetic on here...will keep note for future...if I post again that is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katieskats

Yup, anything is possible, I don't know about anyone else, but implying I'm to blame for the death of a kitten, doesn't help...it's too late now, and I will forever be tramatised by this. Thanks for your "kind" words of encouragement...being that this was my first thread to post here..it's a very pleasant welcome. I see who's sympathetic on here...will keep note for future...if I post again that is.
maybe i missed something... but who implied you were to blame? was it in a PM? 'cause i don't see anything here in the thread...
sorry you had to witness this. you know the poem, "Nature, red in tooth and claw"... sometimes they do things we just don't understand.

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
GoldenKitty45
I think you could have dealt better finding the kitten had just died and then gotten rid of the little body.
That's playing the blame game. If I had seen the dead kitten, I obviously would have removed it before Mom cat would have even had a chance to ingest it. Anyways, If this is how people are treated here, then I'll have to find a more supportive place, I'm seriously tramatized by this, I can't tell you how horrific it was to see, in all it's gore, worse then any horror movie.

But since Golden wants to find blame, then I doubt I'll be posting here again.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

That's playing the blame game. If I had seen the dead kitten, I obviously would have removed it before Mom cat would have even had a chance to ingest it. Anyways, If this is how people are treated here, then I'll have to find a more supportive place, I'm seriously tramatized by this, I can't tell you how horrific it was to see, in all it's gore, worse then any horror movie.

But since Golden wants to find blame, then I doubt I'll be posting here again.
that isn't what she meant. she means you wouldn't have been so traumatized had you found the kitten before Mom ingested some of it, not that you should have found him earlier.
remember - these are just words on a page- we can't see facial expressions or hear tone of voice on the internet.
i'm sure it was bad - i found a feral kitten torn apart outside, once. i know what you saw - but no one here was implying it was your fault that this thing happened.

katieskats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If only we all got to a bad situation before it got worse, life would be wonderful.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

If only we all got to a bad situation before it got worse, life would be wonderful.
well, that's certainly true enough!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Sweetie, no one here would find blame with you over that, not at all. Golden was saying that it would have been much easier the other way for you dealing with that difficult situation.

It is so understandable that you would be traumatized in a situation like that. I dont think you would find one single person on this forum that would not feel the same.

I know that none of us will be able to take that feeling away from you, but please do stick around here, we are a caring group of people that can at least listen and help you cope over this trauma.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry if you think I was blaming you - the others are right - I was NOT blaming you at all. They correctly told you what I meant. I realize that finding a partial kitten is a lot more tramatic then finding one had died. But you are not to blame.

I was trying to tell you that there was nothing you did wrong or could have known. The kitten probably had something wrong internally that would not show and so the mother knew more then you.

Can we be friends or do you still hate me?