Am I bad for this??

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I have these really stupid, irresponsible friends that just got a kitten. She used to be a stripper and now she works at Subway, he doesn't work at all and has had three jobs in the last year that he has lost. They're the type of people that never have any money.....yet miraculously always have money for the "important" things, ie booze, smokes, etc.

Well I cringed when I heard they got the kitten because I knew she'd have no chance....they wouldn't spend the money on shots, or getting her spayed, etc. because that would cut into their booze/smokes budget. So I told them I'd have the shelter get all this done for $50 which they agreed.

So now a lady at the shelter has the kitten and she is getting all the shots, getting spayed, microchipped, de-fleaed, checked for leukemia, FIV, etc. The catch is that they will not get the cat back for 10 days (i was unaware it would take this long) and then they have to go through the adoption process and fill out all this paperwork- even though she is technically their cat. (the lady at the shelter had to lie and say this was a feral cat otherwise they wouldn't do all this stuff so cheaply).

The lady at the shelter (Sandy) and I are hoping they forget about the cat in the meantime so we can find her a GOOD home. She even joked that we should just lie and tell them the cat has leukemia and not give her back. Is this bad? The bottom line is they're getting $300 of work done for $50. I feel bad cause they won't have their cat for 10 days- when they thought it would only be a few. On the other hand, these are exactly the type of irresponsible idiots who are the cause of the overpopulation of feral cats. So what do y'all think? Am I a rotten person for this?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they should have a cat. If they are that irresponsible they would probably buy booze and smokes before food for the cat. I wouldn't trust them with it.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a rotten person at all, just a caring one. I completely understand what you're trying to accomplish, but I wonder if they won't just go out and get another unspayed "free to a good home" kitten.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are should not let them get their hands on a kitten. Are they going to care for the cat in the long haul? No. The cat will end up abandoned or at a shelter as an adult. What then?
I don't condone dishonesty but sometimes you have to exaggerate the truth for the greater good.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think its that wrong to prevent them from getting this kitten (we knew people just like this), but if they are determined to get a pet, they will - too many people are giving away free pets with no contract for spay/neuter, etc. If you show up, they hand you a kitten and say bye - they don't care WHO gets the kitten or what happens to it.

Very sad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heres what I'm hoping happens: After the 10 days or so are up and the kitten is ready, I'll tell them they need to come to Petsmart and do the adoption paper work to get the cat back. I'll emphasize that if they don't want to do that, we'll find another home for her. Hopefully, as lazy and stupid as they are, they'll forget and won't come get the cat.

This is possible because saturday they were supposed to bring the kitten to the adoption at Petsmart....but when they didn't show-up, I called Shane (the guy) and he said "he forgot" and "they were busy" and "might be out later". So sandy told me to go pick-up the cat from their house in the shelter van and bring her back which I did. I got there and they were just sitting watching TV on their new TV! (even though they don't have any money). They're idiots.....

I doubt they get another cat either because this one was basically dropped in their lap by the girl's mother. At least I hope not.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, because I see it every day. People who even buy $1,000 dogs claim to have no money for their welfare when they get sick. If you don't have financial means to care for them, you shouldn't have a pet.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I agree with you, because I see it every day. People who even buy $1,000 dogs claim to have no money for their welfare when they get sick. If you don't have financial means to care for them, you shouldn't have a pet.
Exactly. Pets costs. Period. I understand people hitting an unexpected rough patch but these people don't seem fiscally responsible.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heres a pic of the kitten I took w/ my cell phone a couple weeks ago. She's a very cute long-haired calico. She'd get adopted in no time....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

I doubt they get another cat either because this one was basically dropped in their lap by the girl's mother. At least I hope not.
Ah, excellent -- I was afraid they might just run out and get another kitten, but since that's not likely, I completely support you. Find that kitten a better place to be!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG she is adorable!!! I would have done the same thing and from the sound of it they will forget about and and she will go to a very good home. At least I hope so!

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I hope they forget about her...otherwise I might have to resort to this tactic: "sorry, but your kitten tested positive for leukemia". I know it sounds awful and its a lie.....but its for the greater good. I just don't think she'd have a good life with these idiots. The first time she misses the litter box or scratches the furniture, she'll probably be dumped or taken to the pound. Real classy people.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they forget her too, she's too cute and beautiful to not go into a social home. (This is just me guessing that this couple will just get her and forget about her, aka not play with her or anything.) I'd say let the lady at PetsMart lie and say she tested positive. I highly doubt if they ever run into the kitten again that they will recognize her.
When I saw that you wrote that she was long haired, I winced. If she gets into that home, who will brush the matts out of her long fur? Who will be there when she coughs up a huge hairball or gets 'dingleberries' stuck to her behind? Cats are like little kids!

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I know you said they are your friends, but do you know for sure they would not be good to the cat? They agreed to pay the $50 to get her spayed and for her shots, so they don't sound like total losers. Of course, I don't know them, but I'm thinking of people that I know and work with who aren't very bright, but they surely do love their animals. Maybe you have inside info on these folks that you didn't express in your original post, so pardon me if I am way off base.

Just a thought.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here. Have they had any other pets that you know of, and if so, how did they end up? If this is their first pet maybe this will be their reason to grow up and take some responsibility for their actions (ie, keep a job, stop spending money on drugs, etc). I've seen it happen before where people realize they have to provide for a pet and they've actually stopped some destructive behavior because someone depended on them. Don't judge someone on how they live because they are the least important things to them...until someone smaller and weaker comes into the picture, then they can really surprise you....sometimes. Hopefully, if the get the kitten back, they will be one of the suprising people.

Like I said, I'm playing devil's advocate. I actually hope they don't get the kitten (she is just soooo ADORABLE!!!), but sometimes people can really surprise you.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know there are people with below average intelligence that are very good pet owners. But intelligence is not so much the issue....these people are very irresponsible. Shane got fired from two jobs, and then quit another all in the last year. All they do is ride around on a motorcycle and hang around in this abandoned gas station. They had two dogs...first a pitbull and then a lab...her mom came and picked them up and dumped them...or thats how the story goes. Yes they volunteered to pay the $50 but I had to drive out in the country to pick up the kitten....there was no effort on their part. White trash is a strong word(s)....but I'm afraid it kinda appiles here. She'd be better off somewhere else, believe me.....

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's so adorable! I don't think they should have her, I think she should go to a nice home somewhere else.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, Calico, we DO think alike. Working at Subway, drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes don't necessarily make you a bad mother.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Calico2222, its hard to explain, you would just have to meet these people. I can't see them settling down because of a pet.....they have parties all the time over there and like I said they always out on that bike (Shane actually has two small kids from previous relationship but he only sees them every other weekend). Its just my gut feeling....