Yikes my sister had snakes in her house

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not little grass or garter snakes either!!

I called her this am to chat and she mentioned all the wildlife events in her yard this week-a swarm of bees landed on a fencepost in her garden, a deer got through her veg garden fence and trampled plants.

But the best was (she lives in central VA) its been pretty warm and she was resting on the sofa late yesterday afternoon and got up and thought she saw something-she did!!

A 6-7 ft black snake was moving out from under the sofa she had just taken a nap on!! Then she found another one laying in a cat bed (that I had made) in a different room!! She got a rake, broom and other items and got the snakes out of the house. She said she thought there was one in her small basement (also has crawl space). She isn't sure how they got in as one of her screen doors doesn't fit tight!!

YIKES!!! I asked her if she screamed like a girl when she saw them!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think to find one slithering out from under the sofa she had just gotten up from a nap is pretty creepy!! We don't have those type of snakes here thankfully!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

She got a rake, broom and other items and got the snakes out of the house.
Is she crazy!!?!

I'd have been running out the door and calling the fire department from a mile down the road, and right after that a real estate agent to sell the house, and then I'd check into a hotel and take out a loan to buy myself all new stuff because there would be no way in heck I would ever go back to that house!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone must have let the local snakes know that her house was the perfect hang out.

Any sort of construction nearby? Overly hot/dry/wet weather they could be seeking hiding places from? And does she have a lot of plants and bushes up around the house that could use trimming back or clearing away?

I would much rather deal with snakes then a swarm of bees - they're very defensive when they're like that.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Black snakes are cool but I wouldn't want one in my house!!! I saw an 8 footer while on a walk by the lake yesterday. I found a small snake in this house shortly after moving in. It was keeping both Koko and Scarlett at bay - I heard them going after something so went to investigate. I got it outside with really long BBQ tongs. DH told me that he found Copperheads (poisonous) in both of our previous houses but didn't tell me until after we moved out of them. I'm glad I didn't know.

In every case where we had snakes, something changed - we either just moved in or were moving out. So I conclude that change upsets them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black snake was harmless - probably a black rat snake. They really only get about 6 feet long. They are beneficial and a good thing to have around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said that she probably doesn't have any problems with mice in the basement!
I think her cat must have been outside doing this time-she didn't mention him.
She only has flowers growing around the house as she has only been there three years-really no shrubs to speak of just the warm weather.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

The black snake was harmless - probably a black rat snake. They really only get about 6 feet long. They are beneficial and a good thing to have around.
But inside your house? Jamie discovered a stone python in our cellar a few years ago, probably an abandoned pet. I shoved it into a cat carrier and called the police. I know they're harmless, but that thing was really big enough to eat a cat.

Black snakes would probably be great in a barn or garage, but I wouldn't want one in a house where there are pets small enough to swallow.
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I think she said 3. One under the couch, one in the cat bed, and another in the basement.
I said "two" snakes, because there's always the possibility that one of the snakes upstairs came up from the cellar, or was brought up by the cat. We've often had garter snakes in our bed, thanks to various pets (dogs/cats), and Jamie has caught bats on the upstairs balcony and released them in our living room. The balcony is secured with "cat net", but there's a little bit of open space right under the overhang where bats and birds have managed to get in.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't say the snake would stay in my house (tho I'd be tempted
), but I would not be afraid of it. Just get it out and hopefully it would find a new place to live

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have had an absolute conniption if I would have seen snakes in my house! They would have heard me scream in the next county!!

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to chuckle, because I almost bought a black ratsnake a couple months ago.
They are really pretty harmless. Unless you have very tiny kittens, or maybe free-roaming pet rats or something, I don't think a rat snake could eat your pets. That would be a little startling though to find snakes roaming through your house!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, 6-7 ft!! That would freak me out horribly!!!!!

Apparently there are snakes getting into where I work. Someone found one in the hallway just hanging out. I'm glad I didn't stumble across it! We also have had a raccoon problem, and this morning I almost ran over a huge turtle in the parking lot!

They must know it is an environmental lab

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind snakes....outside! If I found one in my house, now that's a different story! Actually, what probably would have happened if it was me...I wake up from my nap, see a snake slithering out from under the couch, be coherent enough to not step on the snake while I'm staggering into the kitchen for a cup a coffee. About half way through the coffee I'd wake up the rest of the way and SCREAM, crawl on the dinning room table and call my husband (if the phone was with in reach...if not, I would stay there until he came home!)

When my best friend's son was almost two, he walked around for a week talking about "da sake'. They couldn't for the life of them figure out what he was talking about...he just kept pointing and saying "sake" but nothing was there. They started to think he had an imaginary friend. Then, one day, he husband was shaving and he felt something on his foot. He told Kyle (the son) to move but Kyle answered from the other room. He looked down and a black snake was getting ready to take a nap on his foot! Apparently, he had been a vistor for a while but got evicted REAL quick!