Wet foods--questions?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have decided to start feeding some wet to my boys. I offered some last night and the new cat downed it and our other cat ate about 1 bite. I'm hoping that once he realizes that he either eats that when its offered or he has to wait til morning for some dry he'll get more interested (I will also try some other types, I gave pate style)

They both weigh about 8 pounds. If I were to feed ALL wet, how much we they need to eat a day?

I had to start them on regular iams canned as I can't get to Petsmart --maybe today or tomorrow after work.

I was looking at using authority probably maybe nutro. Is there any ingredients I really need to watch for--good ones and bad ones?

Leslie

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never give my cat wet food, I did ONCE an she had the runs for almost 3 days. I think it would be best to keep wet AND dry food out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Research has shown (at least from what I've read here on TCS) that all wet is best, but some wet is better than none.

Leslie

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have dry for our girls out all the time and they can go eat when they want to. We give them half a can of wet to share every evening. Some they gobble down right away, others they nibble at it for an hour or so. We try to get what they gobble up. LOL. They get friskies wet and then kitten dry and treats the rest of the time. In December, when they turn 1 yr old, we will wean them off the kitten to adult dry.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

I'm hoping that once he realizes that he either eats that when its offered or he has to wait til morning for some dry he'll get more interested
Don't be too sure. Cats have been known to starve themselves if they really don't like what they're offered. But I do agree with your approach in the beginning.

Was Jack exposed to canned food at all when he was a kitten? I think like so many other things, if they experience something during their formative weeks of development it makes it much more likely that they'll be accepting of it later on.

Originally Posted by Jack31

They both weigh about 8 pounds. If I were to feed ALL wet, how much we they need to eat a day?
There are feeding guidelines on every can that you can use. The guidelines assume that you are feeding that particular brand and flavor exclusively. Perhaps I'm cynical, but I personally feel that companies tend to overstate the amount of food that should be fed --- it helps boost sales. I think there's a rule of thumb that says one ounce of food per pound per day. So each of your boys would get about three 3 ounce cans or one and a half 5.5 or 6 ounce cans.

One other caveat --- my cats have always eaten a little less than usual during the warmer months. Your cats may be the same way.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I will by no means starve Jack but will play some hard to get for now.

He has had canned a few times when he was getting his Llysine during a flare up but really wasn't exposed other than that.

He loves to steal our chicken, turkey, pork etc so perhaps he just isn't a fan of the pate style. Wants something a little closer to the real thing.

I thought it was one ounce for every two pounds--but I could be wrong.

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
general and it is general guidelines ... 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce per lb .. so a ten lb cat 5 to 10 ounces of wet per day

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

We are gonna try a new flavor tonight and if Jack has no interest I am going to try offering a different style. I hope to stop at Petsmart tomorrow. It is my understanding that authority is all pate style? I wrote down which nutro flavors are chunks and gravy.

Any other suggestions of brands in that price range?

Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
by nature ( thou there is rumor that it is being discoed ) .... wellness pouches .... meow mix

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ranger7489

I never give my cat wet food, I did ONCE an she had the runs for almost 3 days. I think it would be best to keep wet AND dry food out.
That is probably because you offered too much, poor quality or just didn't give him time and transition him onto wet food. If you just throw a new food down in front of a cat, dry or wet, they will almost definitely have the runs...

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped at Petsmart on my way home. I picked up a couple of the nutro max wets that are chunks and gravy--hopefully this will entice Jack. I also grabbed a few cans of nutro natural choice just to try out--I think Harley will eat anything.

Nutro is on sale at Petsmart right now, so I hope they both take a liking. The 5.5 oz cans are only 40 cents.

Leslie

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Jack licked up all the gravy and attempted to chew some of the chunks but spit most out. I even tried mixing a little dry with it--he wouldn't have it!

What do I do, keep offering the same stuff? Try something else? Any tips!?!?

Thanks
Leslie

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
try using a fork to mush the chunks

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

try using a fork to mush the chunks
Intuitively, you would think that this wouldn't make a difference. After all, it's the same food, same smell, same taste! But while Bobert will happily eat the Nutro chunks from the 3 ounce can, he will not eat the chunks from any of the Nutro pouches, nor from the Wellness pouches. True, the pouch chunks aren't the same size or shape as the canned, but...I have to mash up the pouch contents with a fork before he will bring himself to eat it. I have given up trying to understand exactly why he takes this approach. I just chalk it up to the fact that all cats are insane in their own little ways.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I'll try mashing them up tomorrow evening. It won't go wasted Harley loves all wet food!!

Are there some cats who just won't eat wet?

I don't think its that Jack doesn't like it, I just don't think he knows what to do with it.

Should I continue to try wet food even if mashing doesn't work, since he shows interest? If he hasn't consumed any, I wait an hour then offer some dry--I don't want to starve him.

Thanks again

Leslie

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I copy/pasted this reply from Dr Jean found on the Previous Expert Forums under Holistic Feline Health and Nutrition. I'm not sure on transferring the link....sorry. Thought this might help.

from Dr Jean:
"There are lots of tricks for converting finicky cats; many can be found here: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...switchingfoods

If she's not already on a timed-meal schedule, that's the first step. Otherwise she's nibbling constantly and she won't be hungry enough to try anything new.

I'd try other foods, too. My cats don't like either of those, but they do well with Instinctive Choice, Innova, Precise, Petguard, Merrick, Avoderm, APD, and Nature's Variety Prairie. Sometimes they like the EVO 95% meats, but not consistently, so I've given up on that one for now. It's too expensive to let go to waste! Some cats like the Weruva, which is shreds with "gravy"--just avoid the fish flavors.
But I think you're more interested in health...as well as a spectacular coat--so wet food is the way to go!"

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Murray wouldn't eat wet foods by Friskies or Whiskas when I first got him, so I stopped trying to give him wet food. But recently I tried again, with Fancy Feast, and he likes it. I've heard Fancy Feast described as "crack for cats" - which must mean that even finicky cats often like it. I know my finicky one does! (I may try to switch him to a "better" brand later after he gets in the wet-food habit with the Fancy Feast. But it's a start.)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will wait until the end of the week on trying another brand. Tonight I'm going to mash the chunks up and see if that helps.

I'm going to go ahead and buy the nutro for Harley, since its on sale and he seems to love it--although the natural choice canned didn't seem to be eaten quite as quickly as nutro max wet.

Cross your fingers all goes well with Jack--I know wet is so much better for him!

Leslie

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I sat down Jack's bowl with the mushed up chunks and Harley's bowl with his pate style.

I went searching to find Harley--hard to call a cat to dinner when he can't hear you, or hear the can open. By the time I had him to the kitchen Jack was eating Harley's food. He didn't eat a lot but I count it as progress, we will be sticking to pate style for all here.

Leslie