UTI, he cant pee, what do i do?

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok he came back from the vet, hes got medication, hes got new food from the vet. But today i wake up and hes trying to pee and nothing is coming out. He is breathing like crazy, his heart is going, and he's licking his penis. What can i do? Should i squeeze the bladder?

How long can a cat hold their urine?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a medical emergency and he must be seen by a vet today without fail. If you can't find an open vet, or a 24 hour emergency vet then try contacting your local ASPCA or Humane society as they may have options for you.

RUN, do not walk.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs an emergency vet NOW - a blocked male will die in a few days if he cannot pee. Take him IMMEDIATELY.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely get him to a vet immediately...I've had a cat not quite completely blocked but close and it was extremely serious and good that I got him in as an emergency.

Please post back here later to update us?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need a Er Vet right now or he will die. I lost my Frisky that way at age 1 and my brothers Cat bogart died the same way at age 2.5. I was a kid when this happened and my parents didnt relize because they were our first Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
alright i got him to an emergency and they squeezed his bladder. some stuff came out and they said the bladder was empty. he's not blocked. she gave me antibiotics. right now he's really weak, he peed when he got home, but he also puked up some hairballs and im afraid that the antibiotics may not have got in and i dont wanna give him another one to overdose him. he ate can food yesterday but he didn't wanna eat any today.

so how do i take care of him for now? do i seclude him in a small room near his litterbox? should i let him outside? im not quite sure what to do right now besides giving him food/antibiotics and letting him sleep.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not let him outside. What kind of Anitibiotics did he get? Was it ClavamoX. Coco barfs that one. She is on Cefa Drops and she barfs that unless I get her to eat something. Do not give him more Antibiotics until it is time again.

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah its clavamox. but his barf had more hair than anything.

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i locked him in a small bathroom thats connected to his litter box and left his food in there (i built a portapottey in the garage that connects to the bathroom). he's been sleeping a lot and not really eating. is there really anything else i could do for him?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What food did the Vet give you for him. Coco has C/D and Royal Canin Urinary. I just got the Royal Canin on Friday and she loves it. I am sure he isnt feeling good and thats why he isnt eating. Coco was doing the same thing in the pan and when the Vet went to get Urine she had none either. The next day after she took teh Antibiotics she was not in the pan anymore. See what he dose after he has another dose. It should work fast. Cocos infection came back 4 days later so she has to have more Antibiotics.

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah ive been feeding him the royal canine urinary stuff. he ate almost a full can of it today and he went to pee in the litter box. hes still weak, and hes still licking his penis. i fed him another antibiotic and he didnt puke so that was good.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
poor baby.... it's important that he drinks plenty of water. You may want to try putting some water bowls in places where you generally don't have them. This makes them curious and alot of times they will go over and drink from different bowls. It worked for me... I always kept one bowl in the kitchen, but when my male persian starting having bladder issues I put a dish in the hallway. He now drinks from both so I just leave it there all the time.

lukeswits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah he does drink but i dont think he drinks enough. i started putting water in a syringe and then just spraying it into his mouth, he seems to have no problems with it. he doesnt even get scared.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to flush his system. If he doesn't mind the water syringe then do it so he can pee.
I hope he feels better soon.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lukeswits

yeah he does drink but i dont think he drinks enough. i started putting water in a syringe and then just spraying it into his mouth, he seems to have no problems with it. he doesnt even get scared.
you might consider getting him a water fountain. i think mine drink more since i got them than before.
i have 2 freshflow fountains & 1 drinkwell. the drinkwell needs filling less often, & i find it easier to clean, as well.
however, at present, only Pixel seems to drink from it - the other 4 prefer the freshflows. the freshflow is cheaper, also.