Got a betta, but just realized some problems

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got myself a female betta, I had male bettas years ago, and wanted a new one.

My Grandfather gave me a goldfish bowl for it with a lighted cover and bubble filter(not a regular filter). I dont know how many gallons that would be though, mabye 2-3 at least?

But now I realized problems on caring for my betta.

#1- I read gravel is not good because bettas cant find any sunken food easily, thus, leading to rotting food on the bottom. Second, the gravel will trap uneaten food, and if I cant see it, it will rot and make the water dirty. So, without gravel, now I have no way to use a filter, which would have been great to keep the water cleaner. If there was a small filter that is weighted down then that would be great.

#2- Bettas dont like cold water. My other issue is im unable to keep the betta in my room, which in the Winter is around 65-70 F, and in Summer, almost 95 F! With the air conditioner on in summer between the extreme hot and then suddenly getting cold, the fish will die. My basement now is around 65-70 F, but in Winter, can get As low as 55 F! That's too cold, and in such a small tank a heater will quickly boil the water.

So im stuck having it too cold or too hot, and I figure colder is better, but I dont know if it will be safe in Winter?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My betta is in a 5 gallon.

Regardless of gravel and filter, you will have to clean and do partial water changes frequently, so use gravel and benefit from your filter.
Betta are not bottom feeders anyway, they look for food that is floating, which is why live food and floating betta pellets work best.
I live in a travel trailer in the desert, summer temps in the 120s.
My tank thermometer only goes to 84 and my tank is frequently warmer than that.
Even with the air conditioner running, is takes a while for any temp changes, as long as they are not sudden, your fish should be ok.
When the temp in the trailer is above 90, I put 3 or 4 ice cubes in my tank.

I have neighbors in an RV who have their betta in a 1 gallon betta jar and their RV is the same as my trailer as far as heat goes.
They've had him 2 years without problems.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used gravel ... you have what is called an undergravel filter which is far from great but it does work.. Ditto the changes ... 30-50% every 2-4 days is good and NO bettas are NOT bottom feeders Try NOT to over feed

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd get a 5 gallon aquarium rather then the bowl. If that's the only fish you plan on having in there (rule of thumb - 1 gallon per inch of fish (not including tail)).

And my dad and I found out that gravel is a PITB - we used marbles on the bottom - made it much easier to keep clean. You might consider a small catfish or algae eater to help keep the bottom cleaned of food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the only fish in the tank, and a female betta is much smaller than a male, and mine is small for sure with short fins, so a bowl is pretty big for her, this is the old type of glass goldfish bowl from the 80's, not the small bowls you see at fairs. It's heavy when fully filled and comes with a ligthted tank cover.

I heard to do a full water change once a week, and if I decide not to put in gravel, that will make cleaning easier with the small fish net to remove debris, than just dump out the old water.

I have aged water already and conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine.

So is it better to keep her in the colder part (basement) or my room (hotter)?

I also wanted to ask, I havent put the fish in the bowl yet, I have it in a temporary tank until I get the rest of the supplies. The tank is old and fairly clean, but I want to use something to get rid of any germs left over. What is good for cleaning (disinfecting) the tank since you cant use soap? What about the fish salt for aquariums?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
many clean with a VERY VERY diluted bleach .. like a capful to 3-5 gallons of pure fresh water... ... rinse , rince rince
.. I would say basement

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, i'll look into the salt too since alot of times when you buy a new fish like bettas, they have infections or parasites from being in dirty water, mine though came pretty clean and has good fins. But the salt added every water change helps kill and prevent most of these, and if all else fails, there is fish medication for Ich or Parasites.

I would say basement
Ok, so 55 degrees F wont kill her? Right now it's good, but im talking in Winter when it gets really cold.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
55 is a bit cold but it is big enough for the little heaters .. wal mart has them for 6 something

cat crazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've raised bettas for several years and I would suggest using plain white vineger to clean your tank(smells bad but cleans really good) and if you go to a petstore like petsmart you can find a heater that is for 1-5 gallon tanks. Also,a cory catfish will help keep your tank clean but don't get an algae eater because they grow up to be huge(I have 2 that are about 2ft long and 4-5in wide).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cat crazy

I've raised bettas for several years and I would suggest using plain white vineger to clean your tank(smells bad but cleans really good) and if you go to a petstore like petsmart you can find a heater that is for 1-5 gallon tanks. Also,a cory catfish will help keep your tank clean but don't get an algae eater because they grow up to be huge(I have 2 that are about 2ft long and 4-5in wide).
algea eaters range from 1.2 inches to over 8 ft ... there are 1000's of breeds

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what kind we had but they would only get about 3 inches long, maybe 4. They do a better job then catfish in keeping the tank clean.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

algea eaters range from 1.2 inches to over 8 ft ... there are 1000's of breeds
Cory catfish as was said only grow about 3-4 inches some like the pygmy cory stay smaller

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

Cory catfish as was said only grow about 3-4 inches some like the pygmy cory stay smaller
I encompassed all but the otos and they should all be at least ONE inch..
I have had pygmys they are a joy

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corys though clean the gravel of debris, as do loaches, I prefer Otos for algae, they stay small.