Does anyone suffer from Migraines AND sinus headaches?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since monday I've had a headache. I took some over the counter meds and it went away. On tuesday I had another one. On Weds, I had another one, but this time it was a sinus headache. Very dull, low key, but you can feel it in certain areas in the back of the head, on the sides by the temple and sometimes up front in the frontal sinus cavaties and around the eyes/cheekbones.

It is now Saturday evening and it is still there. I have had this happen one other time where it literally lasted a month. Does anyone else ever experience this? IF so, how do I get rid of it???? I am so tired of having headaches ALL the time. I am so miserable most of the time and I don't want to take medication all the time. I am trying to go to hypnosis therapy for my headaches because they are so often, but I've just started so that doesn't help me at this point until I actually get started.

Please help!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
me! i get all kinds of headache - migraines, sinus, tension...
what OTC meds have you taken? for sinus, i usually take drixoral as a decongestant. there are 2 types - one is decongestant only [it's blue] & one is decongestant/antihistamine combo [it's green].
pain relief - before my surgery, i took a combo for pain - excedrin, ibuprofen & ketoprofen, all at the same time [dosage appropriate, of course]. somehow the combination of 4 pain relievers [aspirin, acetominophen, ibuprofen & ketoprofen] plus the caffeine would often knock out a headache that didn't respond to a single OTC drug.
there's something in the air right now, anyway - i've been having lots of allergy symptoms - sneezing, mattering eyes, etc. you may be reacting to it, as well.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
looks like mold is high in my area - & it's a biggie for me, so that's probably my problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually take drixoral with advil and it tends to help. I also have generic flonase spray, but it doesn't really help. I think all the stress I've had lately isn't helping either. My mom suffered from sinus problems often so I know I got that from her.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered a prescription allergy med? DH takes Allegra daily and it makes a big difference for him - though he's also allergic to pretty much every type of tree pollen.

Or find out what the underlying cause is. I have constant sinus stuffiness but it's not allergy related or helped by allergy meds - I believe it's called vasomotor rhinitis? One of the primary symptoms is your nose stuffing up or running when you go from one temp to another - hot to cold, cold to hot.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you considered a prescription allergy med? DH takes Allegra daily and it makes a big difference for him - though he's also allergic to pretty much every type of tree pollen.
Zyrtec just went OTC a few months ago. i take that every morning [i also take a claritin every night], as well as the flonase twice a day.
still sometimes get allergy symptoms, tho...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^The problem is all allergy meds block histamine receptors, but they don't lessen the amount in your body (this includes meds for acid reflux too). And you really don't want to fully block it..

I imagine occasionally the body ramps up production to try to bypass the med, which is why we have to increase doses or it seems to stop working. A person on another forum was researching whether there's a way to lower histamine, when she gets back to that subject (and if it seems interesting enough for any on here) I may post the information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have allergies. I think I may be starting to develop some, but they are not bad at all. I just sneeze more than I ever have and have a runny nose at times. I used to take allergy medication and wondered why it didn't do a thing. Well, I finally took an allergy test, twice, and I have no allergies!

I'm hoping the hypnosis therapy will work. I bought some Sudafed Sinus Headache today at the store and will see how that does.