Baby horse video!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable!
Except for when she kicks!
It hurts so bad! We've got bruises all over our thighs and she thinks it some sort of game! I'm not exactly sure what we are supposed to do when she does that to us, I've heard several solutions. I just keep a lead rope in my hand and toss it at her bum whenever she swings her butt towards me.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

She is adorable!
Except for when she kicks!
It hurts so bad! We've got bruises all over our thighs and she thinks it some sort of game! I'm not exactly sure what we are supposed to do when she does that to us, I've heard several solutions. I just keep a lead rope in my hand and toss it at her bum whenever she swings her butt towards me.
When I got Jet she was 12 months old, 15hh and had NO handling or manners taught the first year of her life. Her favorite thing to do was kick out, both in play and just being a stubborn brat. The first thing I taught her was to yield her hindquarters. If she didn't step away, she got a pop on the hip with the whip. If she kicked out, she got popped. It took just a few sessions of that, and she no longer kicks.

But then again, she is a BIG baby and it was necessary to stop that behavior really quick because it was extremely dangerous with her size.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

When I got Jet she was 12 months old, 15hh and had NO handling or manners taught the first year of her life. Her favorite thing to do was kick out, both in play and just being a stubborn brat. The first thing I taught her was to yield her hindquarters. If she didn't step away, she got a pop on the hip with the whip. If she kicked out, she got popped. It took just a few sessions of that, and she no longer kicks.

But then again, she is a BIG baby and it was necessary to stop that behavior really quick because it was extremely dangerous with her size.
Thanks for the info. It's nice to know what other people do. For now she's learning with just the lead rope. It doesn't hurt her, so we'll see if it continues to work. Horses can be such brats! I've only worked with adults, so this is a whole new experience!

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jazzy is so cute!

You have to be careful with those baby horses, they can play rough.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vermontcat

Jazzy is so cute!

You have to be careful with those baby horses, they can play rough.
That's no joke! We are working on teaching them that playing with humans is out of the question. Of course it's difficult right now because they also need to bond with us and not be fearfull of humans. I clap my hands and yell no to startle them when they are being bad.