Would like to be a foster

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fostered two wonderful little kittens back in February this year. THey've both become my babies and I'm keeping them. Got them at 2 weeks. Mom died.

I had set up to be a foster witha local group here (phoenix) and over the last couple months it fell apart. I don't know if the organization fell apart but the people did. I would get phone calls from one lady at 3 am that had NOTHING to do with cats or fostering. She'd call me to complain about other people there. Unbelievable.

So I kind of phased myself out of it. but I'd really like to foster a pregnant momma or some really young kittens. I don't know where to go to sign up? The people I signed up with before found me at the vet. But since some of the people that are strange are at the vet too I can't go there. I had one of the receptionists asking me for dates through email. it's all really twisted.

Where could I look to offer fostering services? anyone know?

I was suppose to be taking a project at work that would keep me traveling every week but I turned it down, so I'm home all the time (i work from hoime)

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would look on Petfinder.com. You can do a search for rescue organizations by your postal/zip code. That's how I found the organization I work with. Good luck and bless you for wanting to help!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spookzilla

I would look on Petfinder.com. You can do a search for rescue organizations by your postal/zip code. That's how I found the organization I work with. Good luck and bless you for wanting to help!
I did the search by zip code to find the one I'm with now. I also noticed some places advertising on Craig's List, though of course, anything you find there you'd have to check out first.

And it sounds like Phoenix is an interesting place with "interesting" people!
At least you're there to ensure there are some good people there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try perhaps to have this question on the Strays and Ferals forum. You will probably get more advices there.

PM a moderator and ask to move the question?

Good luck with your work!

EDIT I do see you DID already get two feasible answers. I did answered as number one, first, but somehow, my advice didnt registered. Now, two ours later, I backed several steps - and voilá! My message is still around... Now I did properly send it and it get properly registrered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice people, I appreciate it. Wasn't too sure about petfinder. I didn't see a lot there for fostering. just donations etc. But I'll find it.

Thanks again, and could a mod please move this to the Strays and Ferals forum?

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most rescue organizations are begging for foster homes, even if they only ask for donations (fostering is a lot to ask
) I'm sure if you called up someone in your area they'd be thrilled to have your help!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Good advice people, I appreciate it. Wasn't too sure about petfinder. I didn't see a lot there for fostering. just donations etc. But I'll find it.
I use Petfinder too - you type in your city and it will list the humane societies and pet shelters and rescue orgs in and around that area.

THEN after you find all that's available, I try to see if they have their own website. A lot of them are asking for fosters on their personal websites.

Petfinder is just a phone book of sorts to direct you to the right websites.

Good luck to you!! I foster kittens and love it! It's hard letting go sometimes, but watching them grow is so rewarding!