Claws is pregnant

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any of you who read my previous thread in the Health and Nutrition forum know about Claws and Tiger, the neighboring cats. However, today I just realized she's pregnant - large belly, swollen, crusty nipples - the work. She's also friendlier. Now, while I like kittens, Claws is not at all in shape to have them! They're fed low quality food (very low), and not even daily - her water isn't kept up, either.
I'm going to see if I can start coming over daily to make sure their food and water is constantly filled up, but I doubt I'll be able to make it over consistently.)

Any ideas on how to make this easier for Claws would be welcomed along with any safe pregnancy vibes you might have, though I'm just thankful that I noticed that she was pregnant before she had the kittens so I can try help her be more comfortable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you make a safe place for her to give birth? I am thinking if you give her some yummy food and water she may stay on your side. I don't get people who treat their pets like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could - but my parents are out of town and I'm staying at a friends house. However, it's nearby, so I still babysit there.

Today I looked in on her and bam! The kittens were there! Three babies - a tortie and two brown tabbies. The tortie is the only female. Anyway, my friend was there, and I was freaking out wondering how to keep these babies healthy and how to get Claws spayed afterward and how to get kitten food to her ASAP - she was like "Abby, you're so funny. They're not even your cats!" It made me so mad. Of course they're not my cats...that's why I take care of them! Since no one else is taking care of them properly I have to. (If her dad says she's allowed to, she's going to keep the tortie once it gets old enough. I said I'd try see if I could take the other two, but I doubt I can...I'd take Claws and Tiger in before I took the kittens in anyway since they'd have a much harder time finding a home.)

Am I just weird for trying to get these cats proper care?? She sounded like she thought it was pointless that I was trying to get proper food for them...am I going overboard? Should I just leave them alone? I'm a mess right now...this was the last thing I needed today.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, you're not weird... in fact, I think it's wonderful that you're trying so hard to help them, most people wouldn't bother.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Claws can get preggers again in 10 days........In my neighborhood, the local toms kill the kittens, we find then all over. You may want to just pick her & the kittens up and foster them, or find someone who can. Then get her fixed and return her. Kinda like magic........First she is at home, then she isn't then she is back again.....tada

K.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would foster them myself or have someone else foster them, but I can't since my parents will say no (and I have to listen to them since I live with them and am underage). I think the most I can do for them right now is buy a few bags of high-quality kitten food for Claws, and later on the kittens, to snack on - if I remember right, free-feeding is alright when she's nursing, right? If it is then I'll be able to leave the bag next to her (she's on a high shelf in a pole shed) and she'll be able to eat as much as she wants without having to go far from her kittens.

On a side note, when would be the ideal time to spay her? I really, really want to get this done - I'm not interested in having "my" girl go through another pregnancy!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She can free feed, and offer as much water as you can. Wet food is a nice treat, it will fatten up her milk too, it is rich with oils. If feeding wet, I would feed her when you can coax her to you & watch her feed, just so no one bothers her for the food. At least you will know that is getting it in her belly & not another cats belly. Good lucky sweetie!!
K.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Getting her fixed will be tricky, yyou will need to do that when the kittens are old enough to eat food and not rely on Mommy milk. Between 7 to 8 weeks, as long as they can fully feed out of a bowl. Her milk will dry up after you fix her. PLUS she will need to be kept indoors for at least 2 days after, a week is best. Let your vet know she is a outside kinda girl. They will instruct you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

She can free feed, and offer as much water as you can. Wet food is a nice treat, it will fatten up her milk too, it is rich with oils. If feeding wet, I would feed her when you can coax her to you & watch her feed, just so no one bothers her for the food. At least you will know that is getting it in her belly & not another cats belly. Good lucky sweetie!!
K.
actually, milk might not be a good idea - many cats don't tolerate it well.
but a daily can of kitten food would be good for her, in addition to the kibble.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would NEVER give my cats cows milk, If I talk about milk it is always KMR or a special milk made for cats and dogs, it is found in the pet areas of most stores, Wiskas makes one too.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was also speaking about the Mothers milk becomeing richer from the oild in the wet food.Sorry for any problems in my typing.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I would NEVER give my cats cows milk, If I talk about milk it is always KMR or a special milk made for cats and dogs, it is found in the pet areas of most stores, Wiskas makes one too.

I was also speaking about the Mothers milk becomeing richer from the oild in the wet food.Sorry for any problems in my typing.
that's ok - just wanted to be sure!

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your input - I really appreciated it! I just got to the store today and purchased wet and dry food for momma - it should help bulk her up some and improve her milk.
In five or ten minutes I'll be able to get it over to her...when I get back I'll update everyone on how the kittens are doing (Tiger and Claws as well).

Oh, the tortie is named Daisy - it really suits her! She's a beauty!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good job you are doing.
Food and water will definitely help. Some good high calorie rich food will help.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How wonderful of you to take care of them like that. Unless you can rehome the kittens (not sure if they are tame enough?), you'll have to get them spayed/netuered as well at some point.