Best Nutrition for a Nursing Ex-Stray?

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I mentioned this in passing in another thread, and went to do some of my own research on this topic. But now I have a legitimate question I would love some advice on!

The story is I just got a very young mom with 5 eight day old babies. She is so small and was once an outdoor / stray kitty being fed by a nice gentleman who brought her and her babies in. However, though estimates say her age is 6 months AND she is nursing, the vet / shelter / rescue (and probably the man feeding her) have been feeding her adult food! Not the crummy stuff, but I've read a bit and it's suggested that pregnant / nursing cats need kitten food, or maybe even KMR. And mommy's only 6 months old anyway! Who feeds a 6 month old adult cat food?

Everyone seems healthy, and the vet said so too, but the mom is SO tiny. She doesn't look emaciated, and I think she had enough food, but from now I want to give her and her babies what is best.

**With her history, would you recommend I switch her immediately to kitten food, or take time to mix them and switch her slowly so her body can adjust like I would under normal circumstances?

**Would it be best if I did supplement her with some KMR?

**Or should I not switch her at all and leave her on adult food because the vet and shelter know best?

Thanks guys, the so-far unnamed mommy and babies appreciate your help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I'll swing by and grab her some today.

Any thoughts on the KMR? Should I try or no?

Thanks again!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about nursing mothers....but it might be too rich for her. So, I'll let someone else chime in on KMR.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of nursing queens do appreciate a little dish of calcium, but I really dislike KMR. Goat's milk is better. You can also give her a treat of a little smear of plain yogurt several times a day. If you get the kind with live, active cultures, this may also add you in relieving any digestive upset she experiences from the change to kitten food. You are right to do that gradually over time. I would suggest you begin a three week switch, week one with 1 part of new food to 3 parts of the current food, week two half and half and week three with 3 parts new food to 1 part current food. Week four is all new food. This will ensure she doesn't get any stomach or other digestive issues from the change.

As a general rule, queens do look skinny after delivery and the subsequent nursing. It takes a lot out of them so let her eat as much as she wants as often as she wants. Don't worry about trying to control portion or amount right now. Just let her have as much as she wants in several meals throughout the day.

Best of luck and thank you for taking this girl and her babies in to your heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much! Gayef, I will go out and get her some of that yogurt today!

I started the switch last night, and will continue it slowly. She does look skinny, and she's also very tiny, so that probably is making me worry more.

I've had her for about 36 hours now (it's Saturday afternoon, I got her late Thursday night), and she isn't eating much or drinking much. She hasn't touched her dry food or water that I can tell, and I put out a plate of wet food three times a day, and she only eats half of that. So three times a day, I throw away half a plate of old wet food and give her new ones. It just doesn't seem like much! Should I be concerned about dehydration, or is the wet food enough? Is she not eating because she's still too stressed out?

I can't weigh the babies- mommy doesn't like when I touch them- so I can't know for sure they are gaining the weight they need to be. I guess I just leave them alone and let mommy be the best mommy she can be?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Thank you all so much! Gayef, I will go out and get her some of that yogurt today!

I started the switch last night, and will continue it slowly. She does look skinny, and she's also very tiny, so that probably is making me worry more.

I've had her for about 36 hours now (it's Saturday afternoon, I got her late Thursday night), and she isn't eating much or drinking much. She hasn't touched her dry food or water that I can tell, and I put out a plate of wet food three times a day, and she only eats half of that. So three times a day, I throw away half a plate of old wet food and give her new ones. It just doesn't seem like much! Should I be concerned about dehydration, or is the wet food enough? Is she not eating because she's still too stressed out?

I can't weigh the babies- mommy doesn't like when I touch them- so I can't know for sure they are gaining the weight they need to be. I guess I just leave them alone and let mommy be the best mommy she can be?
Leave her be but check on them frequently so the kittens (and Momma) will get used to your attentions. I wouldn't worry about the water so much, just make sure there is clean, fresh water down for her at all times. She'll take what she needs. Watch her though and if she will let you handle her, do the skin pinch test every now and then to make sure she isn't dehydrating.

Babies have a full, round appearance to them when they are gaining effectively. The skin on their little tummies is taut across the belly, not at all wrinkled or saggy.

As for Momma not letting you handle the babies, that is normal for a queen who is unfamiliar with you. Just sit quietly in the same room, reading gently and softly aloud, but ignore them. Cats have this incredible sense of curiousity and sooner or later, Momma will come to check you out. Once she sees you pose no threat, she'll let you attend the babies as well.