Gosh its hot

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well even though summer doesn't start for another two-three weeks its offically here in south west Wisconsin. It only got down to 71 last night...and I HATE hot. Anyway with out central air conditioning and temperatures not getting out of the 80 for the next 7-10 days(from the looks of it) does anyone know what I can do to keep cool? I do have a very crappy mobile air conditioner that cools about a 10 foot radius round it but it is very loud and last year it blew about 10 fuses by the end of the summer. Another issue with this is it drains water out of the back of it so I have that draining into a pot but Tomnus wants to drink out of it and...I just don't trust the water coming out of this thing. I mean its clear but still I don't think he should drink it. Any idea's how I can keep him from drinking it because i am going to be using it until I can find something else.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i gave uo trying, and put in a a/c in the window. It was about $129 from Wal-Mart, and its been a LIFESAVER. IT doesnt get it as cold as i want, but it takes the edge off bigtime. I aslo got a small ( 5,000BTU) one for my bedroom, cause if its hot, *I* dont sleep.

These are two UNDER $150, and work REALLY well, i have the $138 one.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...+500000.500003

other then that, i get bottled water, drink the water, and pour tap water into the bottle till its 1/2 full. then pop it into the freezer overnight. I do this with a few bottles. Then when it gets to hot the next day, i can pull out a bottle, and sit down and have the bottle against the back of my neck, and that with a fan helps keep me cooler.

Drink plenty of fluids: Drink 2-4 glasses of cool fluids each hour.
Do not drink caffeinated or alcoholic beverages because they dehydrate the body.

Keep cool indoors: If you can, stay in an air-conditioned area. Resting for just two hours in air conditioning can significantly reduce heat-related illnesses.
Plan outdoor activities around the heat: If you must go outside, go before noon or at night when it's cooler. Avoid strenuous physical activities or reschedule them for the coolest part of the day, usually the early morning.
Give your body a break: Heat is stressful on your body. Limit physical activity until your body adjusts to the heat.
Eat light meals, avoiding high-protein foods because they increase metabolic heat.
Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t take salt tablets unless directed by a doctor.
Wear light-colored clothing, which helps reflect sunlight.
Wear sunscreen to prevent sunburn. Sunburn makes it more difficult for your body to cool off.
Never leave children or pets unattended in a car—not even for a few minutes. Even with the windows slightly open, the temperature in a car on a 93-degree day can soar to 125 degrees in just 20 minutes and approximately 140 degrees in 40 minutes.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell me about it. It's 90 with the heat index here. The humididy is just awful.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'm gonna put what the temp. is here in C because ..well us canadians use C instead of F lol

it's supose to be 31 C here today with a humidex of like 29..ugh and it's thunderstorms as well >.< lol

I like to take cool showers it helps as well as drink a lot of cold water as someone suggested
hope things get cooler for you

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's 93 right now with a high predicted of 99. VERY humid. And that's the forecast for the next couple weeks. I loathe summer down here.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it was in the 100's a few weeks ago but we have central air. I can't imagine living in our county without it.

Anyway, if your air conditioner is not enough, go to the mall, a restaurant, a movie and let someone else pay for the energy.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its 29°C here right now (84°F) and feels like 37°C (99°F). It stayed at 23° (73°) all last night. We don't have our air conditioner in yet but we have all the windows closed because having them open was making it too hot in here and the walls were all wet.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah our walls and toilet are wet as well >.< stupid muggy weather

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover19

Its 29°C here right now (84°F) and feels like 37°C (99°F). It stayed at 23° (73°) all last night. We don't have our air conditioner in yet but we have all the windows closed because having them open was making it too hot in here and the walls were all wet.
Here too! Its haaaaaaaaaaaaaawt! My hair is going to be frizzed out for Josh

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been in the mid-upper 90s here all week. Plus throw 60% humidity on top, and it's like a sauna. I hate hate hate SC summers. Especially since the room DH and I have in his parent's house is not part of central heating/air ... so we have an A/C unit from about 1980 that you can't leave on all night or you'll be frozen to the bone. And without it, we wake up sweating and throwing sheets around.

Unfortunately, DH has made it very clear he plans on staying in SC for the rest of his life, and if I want to move somewhere else, I'm free to go
(Since I mentioned an area in NY I love that is actually cheaper than here!!!)

Plus, sometimes I feel like we may make a mistake by living on property right behind his parents, considering how my relationship with his mom may be deteriorating somewhat since I cant stand living with her! (And right behind her might not be much better!)

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So today it is about 100°F - the heat has taken it's sweet time getting to Arizona this year.. and it's been the best early Christmas present!
I don't care what they say about dry heat. Later this year it will again be hitting 115°F. It's just not right. Who's up for some snow? AKA: sucking on some ice cubes.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toones

So today it is about 100°F - the heat has taken it's sweet time getting to Arizona this year.. and it's been the best early Christmas present!
I don't care what they say about dry heat. Later this year it will again be hitting 115°F. It's just not right. Who's up for some snow? AKA: sucking on some ice cubes.
Were you not around for the three day heat wave a few weeks ago?
Record breakers in the Phoenix area, and 126f here in Needles, CA.

Currently 102f here, lows are usually in the 70s-80s.

My outdoor thermometer has a picture of a skeleton with an umbrella drink laying out sun bathing and it says "But it's a dry heat!"

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's 40degrees celcius with the humidex. I live in a lake town but walking to the lake seems unbearable right now.
I feel so bad, we're going away for 3 days and didn't get a sitter. So I went and bought 3 more water bottles for the rodents and another water container for the cats. Plus they've got the toilet (I know gross but in dire situations it's there)

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very humid and hot as well here in Cottage Country..It wasn't to bad this morning because it was raining, it cleared off around noon and the temp has been climbing ever since..
Guess it is suppose to be like this for the next several days...

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Were you not around for the three day heat wave a few weeks ago?
Record breakers in the Phoenix area, and 126f here in Needles, CA.

Currently 102f here, lows are usually in the 70s-80s.

My outdoor thermometer has a picture of a skeleton with an umbrella drink laying out sun bathing and it says "But it's a dry heat!"
Isn't that the truth! 126.. WOW!
We had 70's temps and RAIN! for two days, but I was so giddy over the rain and relief that I can't remember whether it was before or after the heat!