Help with Roasting a chicken please!

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I roast chickens all the time, but no matter how I cook them, on a pan, in a roasting pan, or in a roasting pan with a rack, and I always have to end up turing the chicken over half way through to get the other side to have color.

I know people roast chickens without flipping them, but how in the world do you get the chicken to get some color on the down side?

Ive tried in a roasting pan with a V rack, and even let it cook an hour without turing, but the underside had no real color, i had to end up flipping it.

Is there a secret step Im missing?
Does everyone turn the chicken over halfway through?
And just curious but what heat do you use and how long?

Some people like to blast the bird with high heat for the first 15-20 min. then turn down the heat and slow cook for the rest of the time, others cook at the same temp the whole time. Im curious what you guys do when roasting a chicken?

Also as far a seasoning goes, I rub the chicken inside and out with olive oil, season it with salt, pepper, and herbs de provance inside and out, stuff it with lemons and maybe some mint. What about you guys, how do you season your roasting chicken?

thanks

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man, now I'm craving some roast chicken!!

I usually flip the chicken over after half an hour, this way they're not too stuck to the pan and it browns the other side. I like to rub the bird with olive oil and herbs too.

What you could try is one of those little roasting thingies that you stick the bird on so it's upright. Cannot think of the right word right now...

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I roast chicken I always use my beer can chicken roaster stand. I don't know what it's called for short, but here's a picture. The beer boils and steams and keeps the chicken moist. And you don't have to turn it!

If you're wondering.....The chicken "sits" on it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I was thinking of! Just not a beer can though, just the wire.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Don't let the chicken sit in it's own fat.

2. Get a probe thermometer that you can attach to the outside of your oven. Like this one. To make sure the chicken hits the correct temp so you don't get sick.

3. Brush the outside with a nice amount of fat to make it crispy. Butter works best.

4. Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper. Then cut up a lemon and stick in inside.

That's all the advice I have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive seen those things before, I guess Ill have to go and buy one now

I love roasted chicken!

My menu tonight is roasted chicken, potatoes, carrots/peas, stuffing, and I have a cranberry sauce for those that want it. My mouth is watering.Im going to have a mini thanksgiving feast tonight.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

Ive seen those things before, I guess Ill have to go and buy one now

I love roasted chicken!

My menu tonight is roasted chicken, potatoes, carrots/peas, stuffing, and I have a cranberry sauce for those that want it. My mouth is watering.Im going to have a mini thanksgiving feast tonight.
I think it's only about $5. I had a hard time finding one till I found out they are in the grilling section
I don't understand why, you would need one huge grill!

Good luck tonight! Super sounds great! I might be showing up.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

and I have a cranberry sauce for those that want it.
Umm, I want some - and the rest of the meal!
Sounds delish!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Lately i've been doing my roasts with chicken maryland, instead of a whole roast. These pieces are the thigh/leg and very big. I usually roast the chicken and veges seperately for about half an hour on about 200 degrees celcius. Then flip em all over skin side down. Roast another half hr. Then flip em back over, throw the veges in with the chicken, and do another 10 mins so the skin is facing up and gets crispy again. And the chicken falls off the bone.

I've got a really yummy sauce i've been making for chicken skewers, which i now tried on the roast. If it's not enough you can double or triple the quantity.

1tbs thai green curry paste
Juice of half a lemon (seeds and pulp can go in)
1tbs hoi sin sauce
4 tbs soy sauce
1tbs honey

Mix it all up with a brush and spread the sauce onto the chicken. Yummo

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever butteflied a chicken or other poultry and roasted it?? This way takes alot less time to roast-esp on a grill.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very thought of turning on my oven in this heat leaves me without an appetite.

I always stuffed an apple (sliced), butter, garlic and a potato in my chicken, then roast it sitting atop a bed of carrots, onions and taters.

I rub the chicken with herbs and butter, never needed to turn to get it to brown, but I do drain off the juice halfway through, saving the juice of course, and re-butter the outside.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Have you ever butteflied a chicken or other poultry and roasted it?? This way takes alot less time to roast-esp on a grill.
I cut out the backbone then push my hand down on the breasts to flatten it. I think that's what you mean by butterflying it. I've heard it called "spatch-
" chicken. Once flattened, I season it with creole seasoning and turbanaro sugar before throwing it on the smoker. It browns both sides no problem.

eta: just noticed it sensored the name. Nothing evil intended here, the word sensored rhymes with dock.