Car Won't "cover"

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone please tell me why my male cat won't 'cover' his excretions when he uses the litterbox?
I just don't understand this as my female cat does.
Tanx
Daisy5

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wonder, then, if it's a boy 'thing'?

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sorta makes me feel better

Thanx

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HMMMM, that makes sense too, as Kiki, my female, is definately the Alpha cat and she always covers.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely dominance, the ones(s) not covering are wanting their presence to be known.

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I think it's a boy thing. My boys don't always cover their poo either. Silly boys!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly think it has nothing to do with dominance. Most of my dominate cats do cover. Either the cat covers or it doesn't. You can't change the way they do it
As long as the cat is using the pan, its more important then to worry about if they cover or not.

Using the pellets, they don't really cover much till it breaks down and then they cover in a pile in the corner till I sift it

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by materialsgirl

Yeah, I think it's a boy thing. My boys don't always cover their poo either. Silly boys!
AMEN!,
but he's a honey

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
patchy doesnt cover her tinkles but she does her poo. however, she does cover her tinkle when she does it in the floor, but i think thats cuz she knows shes gonna be in trouble LOL

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties are crazy in the litter boxes. Many times they will scratch the side of the litter box or the wall tryin to cover their mess. Most of the time it gets covered but there are times when they go potty and just jump out. Cats are so weird!
I think maybe they don't like tryin to cover it bc of other messes in the litter box. I clean out my litter boxes daily (literally I have 5 cats and 3 boxes) but I think they just don't want to get their paws dirty. Even when it is a brand new clean box they wont try and cover it at times, I think out of habit.

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by courtney_ou

patchy doesnt cover her tinkles but she does her poo. however, she does cover her tinkle when she does it in the floor, but i think thats cuz she knows shes gonna be in trouble LOL
well, that shoots the 'boy thing' out of the water cause your girl does it, but since he's using the litterbox, then I guess I'll just cover for him

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well i should correct myself: if patchy is doing BOTH, she will cover one, then do the other and cover (chloe does both, then covers), but if she just goes in to pee. she just leaves it.

chloe used to go in and cover it for her at first so i honestly wondered if she did it to annoy chloe and the habit stuck LOL but now both of them ignore it when patchy pees... so who knows? haha

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gracie covers everything.
Annabelle covers her poop but not her pee.
Elliott covers his pee but not his poop.

No worries though, Gracie is the "Clean-up Kitty"...after Annabelle or Elliott get out of the litter box you can count on Gracie going in right after them to cover for them!

daisy5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
cats are funny creatures, aren't they, but gotta love um

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy doesn't cover, but it's because he's scratching at the high walls of his litter box to cover stuff instead of moving the litter.
I've tried swapping litters to see if it's a texture thing, but nope he's just weird. I guess I should just be happy that he never has "accidents" outside the box.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popsie is male and he used to cover but doesn't anymore. I just think his is due to the laziness of old age.