Cosmetic surgery???

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been surprised at the amount of people who have suggested cosmetic surgery since my heart surgery.

My scar is pretty wide, high and pink, and I've complained a little about it (it's gotten worse over time rather than better, and people stare at it). Quite a few people including close friends.

I don't even wear make up, and I'm still wearing my polo shirts which make it easier to see the scar rather than buying a new wardrobe to try and hide it. Surely these 2 things would be enough for people to realise that I'm not too bothered about keeping a perfectly polished appearance, and I don't care about the scar too much.

I wonder if they just think it's gross and prefer not to look at it. I had a friend photoshop my scar out of some photos. I know he meant well, but it was weird to have someone manually change how I look in a photo, because they obviously don't like the way I currently look... My scar is now part of who I am.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have lots of scars. couple from surgery, some from other reasons
i fiq i earned each and every one of them. Each has a story behind it lol. I see no reason to hide them , or photoshop them out.

so i would say, you have the right thinking

i would say if you wanted , i hear Vitamin-E helps them to fade some

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't have any connective tissue or fragile skin (soft, stretchy, tear easy) issues do you? If you do, that would explain how the scar would get bigger and any sort of cosmetic surgery wouldn't do much good.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has only been a few months. Scars do fade over time. It won't completely vanish, but the redness with go away and it should become less noticable.

I think society puts so much emphasis on perfection that some people can't believe that someone would be happy being what they consider "less than perfect."

If the scar isn't bothering you, then you have no need to see a cosmetic surgeon about it.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, it's up to how you feel about it, not about other peoples opinions. if they don't like it, then they shouldn't comment. I have had scars from my hip op since i was 5, so as i grew up, the stretched out. Faded a little but i still freak out if i go swimming, or when Tristan can see them. The one on the outside of the leg is about 20cm long and a cm or more wide, and the shape of my thigh is different two, it indents at the scar.

Believe me when i say other people know how you feel. Alot of people have 'issues' with seeing such big scars and such, and i hope that you soon learn how to deal with it. If people are judging you by that mark on your chest, then they're not worth being around. And you're right, it is a part of you now.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one from my ribcage to my pelvis from cancer. It is not pretty but it represents life to me. I am here. I made it. I survived. You earned your scar and to heck with those who don't like it. I would ignore them or let them know you are fine with it.

furbum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. Your friends will get used to it, and random people as well.

Though, if you want to detract attention from it you could get a tattoo

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I, too, have a scar on my chest from a quad by-pass, with that came the two scars from my ankle to my knees on the inside of my leg, where they stripped the veins. It has been several years now and the scars has seemed to fade somewhat. I wouldn't worry too much about other people, they just don't understand the circumstances. Mine looks better in the summer time, when I have a little color, but in the winter time, it is more noticeable.

I don't worry about what other people think, I just know without it, I would have died from a massive heart attack at a very young age. I'd much rather have the scars and my life, than the alternative.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furbum

I wouldn't worry about it. Your friends will get used to it, and random people as well.

Though, if you want to detract attention from it you could get a tattoo
DH and I have been joking about turning it into a tattoo
Either a flower (the scar being the stem), a flag pole, or an arrow pointing up and saying "This Way Up".

Originally Posted by strange_wings

You don't have any connective tissue or fragile skin (soft, stretchy, tear easy) issues do you? If you do, that would explain how the scar would get bigger and any sort of cosmetic surgery wouldn't do much good.
I do have fairly fragile skin I think. The scar itself is quite soft and squishy, and very sensitive even to the touch. It's quite interesting.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SO did a tattoo on a guy that had a scar similar to yours. They made it in to a zipper. Yours is much too fresh to do that though. It was really cute.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I do have fairly fragile skin I think. The scar itself is quite soft and squishy, and very sensitive even to the touch. It's quite interesting.
I bet that's it then. Try the vitamin E as suggested or maybe even consult with a dermatologist to see if there's an other sort of creams that may help.

On a side note though, if your skin is very soft, fragile, and even stretchy it could denote other health problems...

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my arms are covered in scars and people comment all the time if i dont wear long sleves at work im even forced to wear long sleve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I bet that's it then. Try the vitamin E as suggested or maybe even consult with a dermatologist to see if there's an other sort of creams that may help.

On a side note though, if your skin is very soft, fragile, and even stretchy it could denote other health problems...
Well, the reason it looks the way it does is because I got a staph infection in the incision which made it pretty yucko. The bottom part of the scar is nice and narrow and not too obvious, it's just the top part that's soft and fragile looking.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I I had a friend photoshop my scar out of some photos. I know he meant well, but it was weird to have someone manually change how I look in a photo, because they obviously don't like the way I currently look... My scar is now part of who I am.
That's right.....this is who you are and photoshopping it out of the picture changes nothing!

I'm glad you have the attitude you have.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it adds new meaning when you ask someone "Are you staring at my chest?"

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the scar does not bother you then I think you are fine. If people tell you to get surgery to cover it, just say "why? I have no problems with it? Do you?" Keep your head up and stay positive.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That scar is a badge of honor and proof of your experience. If it doesn't bother you, then it shouldn't bother other people.

That being said, it will probably fade given time. Remember, since you had the infection, that part of the scar is "fresher" than the part below that's had more time to heal.