The most difficult and heart breaking decision i've had to make in a long time...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now i think i have the most heavy and broken heart. Today we made the heartbreaking decision to rehome Jasmine
I am sooo torn up and devistated over this. I feel like i can't help her anymore though and just don't know what else to do for her.

Jasmine is my torti-point Colorpoint Shorthair. I've had her for several years now (i adopted her as a resuced adult). A little over a year ago, when i decided to move three of my cats into Colin's house and out of my mom's home i took Jasmine, Isabella, and Velvet (kojak was already here). I left behind three of my other animals that were too closely bonded to my mom to move at her request. (My 13yr old wolf mix, my rabbit Sophie, and my other cat Abilene.) It broke my heart to take 3 and leave the other 3 but i knew at the time it was the right decision as i took the ones who were most bonded to me and my mom wanted to keep the ones who were most bonded to her.

Since the move well over a year ago- the other cats have done amazingly well- they love the extra space, they've all bonded well to Kojak and the dogs and they just seem to have flourished here. Jasmine on the other hand has regressed. So much so that it's just horrible to watch and deal with on a day to day basis
I have made numerous posts about her as far as behavior and peeing in the house goes and have tried more suggestions than i can count. I have taken her to seven (yes seven!) different vets for testing and to rule out medical issues as the source of her peeing inside of the house. All medical problems have been ruled out and the poor dear has been through test after test. All of the vets have said it is behavior related.

So to try and change the behavior to a more positive one, we have tried feli-way difusers, cat attract litter, adding additional new litter pans, devoting a room entirely to the cats so they have a quiet area away from the household noises, crating her and then reintroducing her room by room, we've even contacted a behaviroist. Nothing has worked....i am not mad at her- i love her so much- i just wish i knew why she felt the need to act out the way that she does. After talking with the vets again this week and the behaviorist....i've come to the conclusion that she might just not be happy here with us
I don't know why- i try to give her all of my love and make sure she is spoiled and well cared for.....but nothing seems to change her behavior.

When she lived at my mom's house she never once had an accident and never once peed out of behaviorial issues. It may be a long shot- but after talking to my mom- i feel like maybe sweet Jasmine was more happy at her house than she is at my house for whatever reason. My mom adores her and Jasmine loves my mom to pieces as well as her other animals- so my mom has agreed to take Jasmine and allow her to live out her life with her if she seems more happy there and it helps her feel more comfortable.

This was not an easy decision- it's absolutely breaking my heart and i feel like i've failed her as an owner
I honestly don't know what else to do at this point....i feel like i've exhausted every avenue and i just don't want her to be unhappy here if that's what's provoking the behavior. The vets agreed and suggested i do a trial period of rehoming her at my mom's house and just see how it goes and if the behavior improves.

Next week Colin and I are going to Alabama to see his family for a week, so from tomorrow until we get back in town- little Jasmine will be staying at my mom's house to see how she adjusts and if she seems happier there. If she does seem to feel more comfortable there, then my mom is going to let her live out the rest of her life there and i will go and visit her often at her house. If however she doesn't do well, i will just bring her back to my house and well,...then i just don't know what else i'll try but i'll have to think of something.
I don't want to give up on her and i want her to know i love her- i feel like letting her live with my mom might be in her best interest if it means she'll be happier there. I just don't know what else to do
I have spent the entire day just crying my eyes out over this- this is not a decision i wanted to make- but i don't want Jasmine to be miserable here eithor- and if there's a chance she might do better back with my mom, then i'm willing to make that sacrafice.

I'm just heart broken over the whole thing though and i hate the thought of her not being here at my house with us
I'm also worried about how my furbabies here will do when she is absent. I am also concerned about how Jasmine will do with my mom's new dog (she adopted a puppy a few months back and i just don't know how well that will go- Jasmine loves dogs-so i'm just keeping my fingers crossed it goes ok.)

Do you guys think i'm making the right decision? I honestly just don't know what else to do. I love her soo much- i only want to do what's best for her

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely do think you are making the best decision, especially since it IS so hard for you - it's akin to making the decision to euthanize, by putting the kitty's needs before our own.

But it's really a happy ending for her, especially as she'll be with your mom!
and for Jasmine.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as i started reading this,
my first thought was to take her back to your mothers house.
i will be willing to bet that works just fine.

it my very well be, that with all the moving, and foster animals you have it is upsetting her. Just a guess.

i hope that things work out for her at your mother's/

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you had to rehome her. But I'm glad it's with your mom. At least you'll be able to see her! If she seemed happier there, maybe she still will be. The puppy may be an issue, but hopefully she will like him/her. I am sending good luck prayers Jasmine's way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks you guys. i'm glad ya'll seem to think i'm making the right decision- it helps a little. i'm still soo torn up about this and just can't stop crying over it. i've been holding jasmine all day
she's soo sweet, always giving my kisses and purring. i just hate to do this, i feel like she won't understand. i don't want her to think i'm abandoning her
i do feel like maybe she will be happier with my mom though. she is already bonded to her and all of the other animals except the pup, she is comfortable in that house- maybe that's what she needs

this is so hard for me to do- but i feel like if it makes her happy then maybe it's the right thing to do. at least i can see her whenever i want to that way too...and i know she loves my mom- i feel good about that part. she will be treated just as well over there and loved just as much.

none of this behavior started until she moved in with me and colin and that's why i think maybe she was happier there. maybe moving her just stressed her out too much- two moves in a year- first into our old house and then into our new one in feb. (i haven't been fostering much lately so she hasn't had any new animals around really). i think maybe she just misses her home with my mom. i hope it works out there, i feel like i've tried everything at this point.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nikki, you aren't "giving up" on her. You're taking her back to where she was possibly happiest. And it's not like you're just giving her away or anything, she's going to your mom. She won't be far away, you KNOW she'll take excellent care of her, & you can visit whenever.

You're doing nothing wrong, you did nothing wrong to make Jasmine unhappy. It's just her nature & the fact that you can recognize that & be pro-active in making her happy just proves how good of a meowmy you are.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are making the right decision for her. I know how hard these decisions can be to come to. We're in a position right now with one of ours trying to determine, and almost hoping, if there is a health issue behind his problem. I hope for the sake of both of you that she will be happier with your mom.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I just saw your message and thought something worst happened. I hope she does well at your mom's so you can at least visit her.

I know how frustrating it is cause Connor is the same way.

For you during the healing process.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Nikki, you aren't "giving up" on her. You're taking her back to where she was possibly happiest. And it's not like you're just giving her away or anything, she's going to your mom. She won't be far away, you KNOW she'll take excellent care of her, & you can visit whenever.
Yea that.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I read the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be a lot worse. At least if she's happy at your mom's place, you can still go visit her and everything. I think you're doing a good thing for her, even if it is hard.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Hon, you arent abandoning her, you're returning her to where she calls home! The first thing I thought of when I started reading this was god hope her mom can take her and since she can I think all this is wonderfull!! You will be amazed at how fast a cat can get use to a dog too! Things will be great, just give it a month or so!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No need to feel bad. I know it feels like a horrible decision, but she's happy at your mum's, and you know that not only is she going to a great home, but you can see her regularly. You're not rehoming her, she's just going to stay with your mum - big difference!

You've done all you can, and I think have made a great decision.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are being selfless and loving.
You have gone above and beyond what you could do and have truly exhausted every avenue. Is she is with your mother you know she will be cared for and you can visit her. It is a win for both of you.

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are making the right decision. She obviously misses being at home with your mom, and even though it is breaking your heart you are doing all you can to make her happy. At least if she stays with your mom for good you can still visit her. Don't think you are failing her as an owner, you are simply doing the best for her, you are certainly not abandoning her and re-homing her in any old place, you are taking her to a loving home, where she will still see you and be happy, and she will love you for doing that.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're doing the right thing. You've taken all the right steps and she's still not happy. At least (as others have said) you know she's going to a good home and hopefully she'll be happier there.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree this is the right solution. Like everyone said, you aren't rehoming her...you are taking her back to what she thinks of as "home". Moving can be hard on cats. Some deal with it fine, others just never settle in. I think she will be much happier at your mom's. And, I doubt that it's because she loves your mom more...she probably just misses her favorite napping spot or hidey hole. She misses what she is used to.

And, I wouldn't worry too much about the puppy. Puppies are looking for their place in the pack, and cats have a way of putting them in their place REAL quick!

I know you will miss her, but you know she is going to a good home, and you are doing what will make her happiest.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone for all of the support
It's really made me feel a great deal better about the whole situation. I told Colin about what everyone had said as well and we both feel like even though it's a hard choice- it may just be the right one for Jasmine.

It's around 5 now and i'm waiting to hear from my mom when she gets off work tonight (soon). I am not feeling so great today so i will likely take her over there later on tonight or tomorrow night. In the mean time i've just been spending a lot of time with Jasmine and trying to spoil her.

The thing that worries me though is Isabella- her and Jasmine have been pretty much inseperable since I brought Izzy home as a kitten. She thinks Jasmine is her "mommy" They sleep together, eat together, groom each other, play together.....it's going to be really hard splitting them up. Isabella likes it here better though than when she was at my mom's house. She's come out of her shell soo much she she moved into the new house and has bonded well with the other animals. I hate to split her and Jasmine up but i know Isabella will regress if she goes back to my mom's house. Izzy is a momma's girl and that's it - she dislikes pretty much anyone else except for me so i know that would make her a bundle of nerves. Right now i'm just praying Isabella and Jasmine do ok seperated from one another- but i'm really worrying about it. Izzy slept on top of Jasmine's crate all night long last night and hasn't left her side at all today
I feel soo bad about this- i know they're going to miss each other.

I'm at least going to give it a try tough and just see what happens. With the other two cats staying here Isabella at least won't be alone so hopefully she will adjust. / Jasmine is so sweet and tends to do well in most situations that i think she'll be ok going back to my mom's place, but i know without a doubt Izzy would not so i'm just hoping for the best right now with both of my girls.

Colin and I are leaving on Tuesday to go to Alabama and see his family for a few days, so when i get back- depending on how Jasmine does and all we will make our final decision- that will give Jasmine a few days to see how she does back at my mom's house. Hopefully all will go well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh hon, don't worry, you aren't abandoning her! you are being so loving and selfless for her, its breaking my heart!

I truly hope she does well at your mom's, even with her being so attached to Isabella. If she does well, at least you will know that she is happy, loved, well cared for, and you can visit her whenever you like!

sending lots of and

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, i just heard from my mom a few minutes ago. We are going to wait until tomorrow to take her to my mom's house- that way my mom will have the entire weekend off to watch her and help with the adjustment. I think that is a good idea
I'm starting to feel a little more calm and at ease with the decision. We are going to just try it out for a week or so and see how she does- if all goes well she will stay with my mom, if not though we'll just bring her back to my house and then i dunno what else we'll do but we'll just have to try something else.

My mom is going to come over to my house tomorrow to pick up Jasmine and take her back so that i don't have to drive with her and be upset (i know i'll cry the whole drive so i think that's a better choice.) My mom is excited about having Jasmine back at home with her and i feel better knowing how much my mom loves her. It's been a tough decision to make- but i think i'm doing the right thing for Jasmine. I just pray everyone adjusts well and she is truely happy there.