Things for body, mind and soul....

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoga. Eastern medicine. Tai chi. To name a few. Anyone into any of this? I have been learning a little about it. Things that speak to or heal my body, mind and soul seem like good ideas to me. I like the concept. Live simply, be at peace, that sort of thing.
I'm starting with yoga. I have a dvd I have been instructed to buy, by my friend who is already involved with these concepts. It's called "Sun Salutations" by Rodney Yee. You do it in the morning, thus the name. If you've ever heard of Indian cultures, most Indians salute the sun every morning, pray and give thanks for their blessings. Sounds pleasant, don't you think?
I wonder how relaxing yoga will be with 5 cats and 3 dogs running around....

What's your body, mind or soul healing "stuff?"

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really have had interest in a few different things. They are kind of on hold right now but I would like to explore them soon. Yoga would be one of them. I am a very stressed out person by nature and have mad anxiety issues. I think the breathing and stretching could really ease my mind, body, and soul. I have also considered Acupuncture and even thought of Shamanism (read about it on the net and it seemed quite interesting). I am starting to explore all the different options. It has me facsinated (anything that is of healing matter does) and I intend to do some more research and go from there.

I may pick up a few books regarding healing and so on...

Keep us updated on how your yoga is going, if it makes a difference... Any feedback on it would be great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same with your stuff, when you get it off hold! I'm interested in hearing about it!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Need some money for that stuff and right now the funds aren't willing to dip into those interests lol
I like reading about all the different healing methods though. Can't wait to try some!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to get the yoga video today but they were out. My friend said she wants to try karate. Maybe some day I will try that! lol

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love yoga and try to do the sun salutation every morning. It's a nice way to stretch out and center yourself at the benining of the day. There are lots of different types of yoga but it is all good for you body and if you practice proper breathing it's good for the mind as well. It just leaves me feeling refreshed and cleansed.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I love yoga and try to do the sun salutation every morning. It's a nice way to stretch out and center yourself at the benining of the day. There are lots of different types of yoga but it is all good for you body and if you practice proper breathing it's good for the mind as well. It just leaves me feeling refreshed and cleansed.
That's what I'm going for. I like feeling refreshed.
I'm not a morning person so I'm hoping this makes me feel better.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I took yoga classes recently and I loved it. I will certainly do that again. I find it hard to stay disciplined enough to do it regularly by myself (even if it makes me feel good every time) but I'm trying.

Although it's not nearly as physical, I also do a lot of meditation. What I practice is Zen Buddhist meditation but there are many other kinds. I started using recordings of guided meditation and now I frequent a Buddhist meditation center, and at home I either use the recordings or meditate in silence. Every time I am amazed to find out how peaceful and happy it makes me. Even at times when I can barely keep my mind on it for a few seconds at a time, those few seconds help tremendously.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yet another thing I was looking at. I sure need feel good-ness!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

I took yoga classes recently and I loved it. I will certainly do that again. I find it hard to stay disciplined enough to do it regularly by myself (even if it makes me feel good every time) but I'm trying.

Although it's not nearly as physical, I also do a lot of meditation. What I practice is Zen Buddhist meditation but there are many other kinds. I started using recordings of guided meditation and now I frequent a Buddhist meditation center, and at home I either use the recordings or meditate in silence. Every time I am amazed to find out how peaceful and happy it makes me. Even at times when I can barely keep my mind on it for a few seconds at a time, those few seconds help tremendously.
I just did a mini-meditation/breathing exercise a few minutes ago. My morning has been a train wreck and it's amazing, once your comfortable with it, how quickly it can calm you.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried, I really tried, to get into Yoga, Nia, meditation, etc. I can't. I am still a type A personality. To relax, I dance. To meditate, I listen to dance music. For all those who remember and for those who know their history, I run on 45, not 33 1/3 rpm.

I know that there are so many benefits to Yoga but I just can't see them for me. I am going to some core and stretch classes. These are great because you do get to find your core and how it so affects your body and stretching is something that we do not do often enough.

In my experience, videos only work for so long until your self-discipline runs out.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do Rodney Yee yoga workouts as well! They make me feel amazing!!!!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carley

I do Rodney Yee yoga workouts as well! They make me feel amazing!!!!
I just got the abs one and the flexibility one at half price books but can't find any others. I'm gonna order them online I think.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I tried, I really tried, to get into Yoga, Nia, meditation, etc. I can't. I am still a type A personality. To relax, I dance. To meditate, I listen to dance music. For all those who remember and for those who know their history, I run on 45, not 33 1/3 rpm.

I know that there are so many benefits to Yoga but I just can't see them for me. I am going to some core and stretch classes. These are great because you do get to find your core and how it so affects your body and stretching is something that we do not do often enough.

In my experience, videos only work for so long until your self-discipline runs out.
LOVE the analogy! So, if your more of a 45 girl have you tried Pilates? It's like yoga amped up a bit.