Would you be afraid of a Bulldog?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor and I were out with his Bulldog puppy this afternoon, and I was surprised to see some people crossing the street to avoid him. N. says this happens all the time. Boomer is 6 months old, not quite knee-high, and weighs about 25 kg. (55 lbs.). He's pretty much "full-grown" now, but is so obviously still a puppy - a bit clumsy, still lifting his leg inconsistently, exploring and wanting to taste/sniff everything, etc.. His breeder had kids and cats, in addition to her dogs, and this is one very laid-back dog, who wants to get along with everybody. His tail (undocked) is constantly wagging. He's extremely obedient, quiet, and well-mannered (can't you tell I just love this dog?). He's so good that N. can take him to the office, and hasn't had any complaints from colleagues or clients.

We used to get this reaction with our Boxer, but that I could almost understand, because he was quite large, but a Bulldog? Surely people can't be confusing a Bulldog with a Pitbull?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol I love Bulldogs. They have been my sisters dream dog since we were kids. I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see how anyone would be afraid of them. Some people are just afraid of dogs in general maybe. Or possible they thought it was a Pitt. When my boyfriend and I were researching Pitts when we thought we were getting one it said that majority of people who report a dog attacked mistakenly identify the dog as a Pitt.

Either way I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I would ever be afraid of a Bulldog that was just clumsily walking around LOL thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s so cute.

Off topic: Dogs donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t grow after 6 months?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be afraid. Bulldogs are so cute! I also wouldn't cross the street to avoid a dog. I expect a person to be able to control their dog! Especially a little bulldog. That's just crazy.

When we had our Pitbull for that short bit, people would go out of their way to avoid her! I didn't blame them though, pitbulls have a pretty bad rep. It was nice to go for a walk where everyone doesn't run up to your dog to pet it! Poor Thor hates strangers and everyone thinks that it's ok to run up to him and speak loudy about how cute he is
No wonder he isn't fond of strangers.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I wouldn't be afraid of a Bulldog -- but, then, this is the crazy who initiates conversation with pretty much every dog on the street: "Hi there, Dawg!
Do you talk to strangers?" Most are more than happy to. But, crossing the street to avoid a Bulldog???

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An English Bulldog? I absolutely adore Bulldogs, they're so sweet! But I was raised with them, so I know they are bred for solid temperament as well as appearance. To someone who's never met one before in person and who doesn't know their reputation for good temperament, I could see how they might appear intimidating, especially the way they snuffle and snort- their snorting sounds sometimes a bit like a growl.

My dog was nervous the first time she met a bulldog...I think it was the breathing sounds and strange appearance (no tail to signal with, and a head so big that it was probably hard for her to interpret its head posture - it made it hard for her to tell if the dog was being friendly or not).

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will avoid certain dogs but not based on breed. I fact, our neighbor's dog is on the list of ones that I avoid because he will & does bite! Oh, and he's a chihuahua!
He's a mean little SOB though and one time bit the cuff of my jeans... ever since then I'm worried about seeing him especially now that it's short season. No more pant cuff to protect my ankles. Well, the other day he was out when DH & I were leaving. He puffed up and ridged his back and went nuts... DH made the mistake of trying to pet him and Archie (the dog) nipped the back of hubby's hand... even broke the skin in a few places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Maybe they're afraid of puppy drool?
That's the best I could come up with. I can't see any other reason to actually be afraid of a Bulldog.
, Heidi. Actually, Boomer isn't much of a drooler. His face isn't too squished. We've had a Boxer and a St. Bernard (German Shepherd) mix, and my sister's current dogs are the same, so I really could write a book about dog drool. Yuck. Let's wipe down the doors, door frames, and other woodwork every week, not to mention windows, glass doors, and car windows! I attempted, once again, to take some pictures of him, but he was so skittish about impending thunderstorms that I gave up.

He snuffles and snorts, but no way does that sound like a growl, and with his tail wagging a mile a minute, how can people take it that way?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems ANY breed that even remotely looks like a "pitbull" will say its one. I'm not surprised. I do know the difference between a Bulldog, Boxer and an American Stafforshire Terrier. But there are so many mixes from some of these breeds that it can be confusing at first glance.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised at what gets mistaken for a Pit these days. I know someone who breeds smooth Collies who had an employe from one of those pet store chains (forgot if it was petsmart or Petco) insist that her dog was a Pittie. But if a dog has a blocky head, floppy ears and stocky build, yup. The Germans are among the worst when it comes to breed-specific legislation. They even want to revise which breeds are banned depending on the latest bite statistics!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I know of someone who breeds & sells "bulldogs" locally. They're Pits, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. And she advertises, sells, & refers to them as Bulldogs. Which is probably where a lot of people assume that bulldogs look like & are as "vicious" as pits.

Me afraid of one? No.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get that reaction sometimes when I walk my (very friendly) Golden Retriever, so I don't know...
What I don't understand is when people walk IN the street rather than walk past me with my Golden heeling next to me on-leash! Is it really so much safer to be walking in the street?!?

I've had people mistake my Rat Terrier mix for a "pit bull" so who knows... As for being afraid, I love Bulldogs and pitties so either way I'd probably stop and say hello!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I've had people mistake my Rat Terrier mix for a "pit bull" so who knows... As for being afraid, I love Bulldogs and pitties so either way I'd probably stop and say hello!
TBH - Your rat does have a very "square/thick" face compared to most Rats I've seen. Many of the Rats I've seen have noses like Collies or Shelties, longer/narrow. Not that he looks at all Pitty, but you know how people can be!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

We used to get this reaction with our Boxer, but that I could almost understand, because he was quite large, but a Bulldog? Surely people can't be confusing a Bulldog with a Pitbull?
maybe they found out your american?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No way, I think Bulldogs are so ugly they're cute! I have never associated them with being mean or vicious
maybe people just automatically assume that if a breed has "bull" in their name it will be mean

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

Lol I love Bulldogs. They have been my sisters dream dog since we were kids. I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see how anyone would be afraid of them. Some people are just afraid of dogs in general maybe. Or possible they thought it was a Pitt. When my boyfriend and I were researching Pitts when we thought we were getting one it said that majority of people who report a dog attacked mistakenly identify the dog as a Pitt.

Either way I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think I would ever be afraid of a Bulldog that was just clumsily walking around LOL thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s so cute.

Off topic: Dogs donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t grow after 6 months?
I believe it really depends on the breed. Boomer has "grown into" his huge paws, and my neighbor has researched the breed, and says that they reach full size at around 6 months

Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

An English Bulldog? I absolutely adore Bulldogs, they're so sweet! But I was raised with them, so I know they are bred for solid temperament as well as appearance. To someone who's never met one before in person and who doesn't know their reputation for good temperament, I could see how they might appear intimidating, especially the way they snuffle and snort- their snorting sounds sometimes a bit like a growl.

My dog was nervous the first time she met a bulldog...I think it was the breathing sounds and strange appearance (no tail to signal with, and a head so big that it was probably hard for her to interpret its head posture - it made it hard for her to tell if the dog was being friendly or not).
Officially, he's a "European Bulldog", a breed that has only been recognized for about 8 years. I've looked into the breed, and it's either the result of crossing Old English Bulldogs with American Bulldogs, or Old English Bulldogs with Englsih Bulldogs.That's confusing! He has a relatively long snout for a Bulldog (more Boxer-like).

Originally Posted by 2dogmom

The Germans are among the worst when it comes to breed-specific legislation. They even want to revise which breeds are banned depending on the latest bite statistics!
You said it! I don't think the proposal to go by bite statistics will work, though, because German Shepherds and Dachshunds top the list in most länder!

Originally Posted by theimp98

maybe they found out your american?
Maybe, but most Germans seem to think I'm English! This will sound weird, but even to me, it's very difficult to distinguish between Americans, Canadians, Englishmen/women, Welshmen/women when we're speaking German. The accent is more "native English speaker". People from Scotalnd do much better with their "rrrr".