State of Sleep

pepparoz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. When one of them sleeps she wakes up very easily. You'll touch her and she will wake up straight away.

My other cat sometimes sleeps so deep that you can touch and move her and she still wont come awake. I could even pick up her arms and move her head and she was still sleeping soundly.

Does this mean anything when some cats sleep deeper than others?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No more than it does when people sleep differently I would imagine.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by PePPaRoz

Does this mean anything when some cats sleep deeper than others?
In my experience, no. Even my old cat who is going deaf, will sleep through noise but once I touch her, she wakes up.
I read that cats have 2 types of sleep. The difference lies on the heartbeat rate, blood pressure and temperature. However in both cases, the cat's body and nervous system always remain alert to any danger.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't mean a thing. I have one of each of those two kinds of sleepers, too. I suppose it's more natural for a cat to be a light sleeper, always alert to possible danger. But in a safe and secure home environment that's not necessary, and so a cat can sleep sounder.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I However in both cases, the cat's body and nervous system always remain alert to any danger.
Is this why I'm able to pick up Sho (and other cats in the past) and move him from one room to another without the him waking up?
I always love the look on a cat's face when they wake up somewhere different.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats sleep a little like people, some sleep harder than others. Never picked one up without waking though.

Isn't is heartbreakingly cute when you go to bed, and your cat wakes up and realizes no ones in the room. Mine makes the cutest little meows until I answer and let her know where I am, and she comes running so fast to me!