Brushing your dog's teeth?

bitsybetsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any tips on how to brush your dog's teeth? We have a lab who is not a fan of having it done. We try pretty often but she just hasn't gotten used to it. Any ideas?? I've heard some dogs just enjoy the taste of the paste but we're not as lucky. So we've been leaning more towards bones and dental treats and I'm going to try bite brights next. Has anyone tried these and are there any other home remedies?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw bones...seriously...they are fantastic for teeth cleaning and dog's love them...so while they think they are getting a superb treat, you know that they are really 'brushing' their teeth...
Make sure to give ones with not as much meat on them at first though, so your dog gets used to them. I give them once or twice a week if I can; otherwise they get their teeth brushed...Lol!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Raw bones...seriously...they are fantastic for teeth cleaning and dog's love them...so while they think they are getting a superb treat, you know that they are really 'brushing' their teeth...
Make sure to give ones with not as much meat on them at first though, so your dog gets used to them. I give them once or twice a week if I can; otherwise they get their teeth brushed...Lol!
Do Not give chicken bones! They splinter! My neighbor gives my lab and his lab mix (14 years and 16 years respectively) soup bones every day - they have marrow in the middle that the dogs get out and eat and they chomp on the bones

I started brushing my lab's teeth from day 1 so she's good about it - I just use a human toothbrush and some diluted orange listerine (she never liked paste)... are you using human paste or pet paste? If you haven't tried the pet paste, it's worth a shot cuz it's beef flavored... also you might do well with a finger cap tooth brush (if you haven't tried) - they're in the petstores and catalogs... the cat on the other hand, no matter what I try he won't let me get in there (I rescued him from the streets though and he was almost 3 years old)... I even tried to do it when he was under the influence of his travel sedation meds and he still fought me tooth and nail

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend making sure you are using pet paste regardless. Human toothpastes are not meant to be swallowed generally, and flouride is not good for pets. Some dogs just never seem to get used to it.. I can brush my family's dogs' teeth, but not my dog's. She gets raw marrow bones instead. I get them from the pet store, just because I feel more comfortable with ones that are meant for the purpose.

They also make liquids you can spray into their mouth or add to their water for dogs that need extra help or won't let you brush.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the bones being the best way to clean teeth. But if you really want to brush, what helps is if you get your dog used to you sticking something in there and moving it around. If you start by using your finger smeared with bacon grease, that is at least not as unpleasant as the toothbrush. Then you can use the toothbrush with something yummy on it (like cheese) and then move up to the pet toothpaste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bitsybetsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice! We have been relying mostly on bones and they seem to be doing the trick but I hope they're getting everything. What about dental treats? Does anyone feed those? I've been wanting to try bright bites to help with plaque and tartar but I haven't had a chance to yet.

I've never thought of using a brush with something like cheese or bacon grease on it... that's a great idea that I'm definitely going to try. Maybe that will help her get used to it.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried any of the dental treats.. just the breath ones that smell rather nice. I was going to try the CET chews, but they are rawhide I think, and I've stopped giving rawhide. I can't really tell from the web site if all of them are rawhide or not. My girl was 11 before she needed a cleaning, though, so I must be doing something right with the raw bones and bully sticks.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

and bully sticks.
Haha, do we all know what bully sticks actually are?

My cousin had just gotten her puppy and her bf's brother was trying to get the puppy to eat the bully stick, so he got down on the floor and put it in his mouth to show her... then they found out what exactly bully sticks are - needless to say, he hasn't lived it down and I bought him one for his birthday that year (which got given to the puppy lol)

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Haha, do we all know what bully sticks actually are?
Yes I know what they are, and I am quite amused by them.
It's so hard to find good quality ones that don't cost an arm and a leg though. These last ones I picked up take Perky 15 minutes to go through, where the ones I'd tried before lasted her an hour. Of course, now I don't remember what brand they were!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

Yes I know what they are, and I am quite amused by them.
My cousin had to call the one company once cuz they gave one to Copper and when she bit into it, it was all weird inside, so they took it away and called and the guy said sometimes there is a bad batch and that they get 36" FROM EACH INDIVIDUAL!

That news only added to the teasing of the brother who showed Copper how to eat them lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bitsybetsy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've actually never given her bully sticks but I do know what they are, haha. If they help with clean teeth though then maybe I should have her try them. She's 5 and our vet says her teeth look great so the little bit of brushing and bones we give her are helping. Plus, the food she eats is good for her teeth too. Oh, I tried the bright bite treat over the weekend and she loved it. Ate it right up and it's supposed to be good for her breath too, pretty good deal!