need help badly

erynn178

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a new kitten that my fiance and I just got and we are trying to get my adult cat introduced to him. The problem is is that my cat is not taking to him AT ALL. We had tried in the past to get another cat and my cat just was traumatized. We set up a kitten safe room but anytime we put him in there he screams and howls and it drives me crazy. Should I just give up an accept that my cat is a one cat only gal? I need help because my head is about to split open from these cat meows!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by erynn178

we are trying to get my adult cat introduced to him...We set up a kitten safe room but anytime we put him in there he screams and howls and it drives me crazy.
I am not sure, but as I understand it, you are introducing your cat TO the kitten. You are bringing your cat TO the kitten safe room. Actually, it should be the other way around.

butterfly1972

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same issue years ago. My older cat was so mad when I brought home a new cat and her maddness sounded like a little kid screaming and it drove me nuts!! I called my vet and she gave me some pills - she called them "Cat Valium" and I gave them to my older cat and eventually she mellowed out after a week of hell. I kept cutting her dosage down until she was back to normal and then took her off the pills. They worked like magic!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butterfly1972

I had the same issue years ago. My older cat was so mad when I brought home a new cat and her maddness sounded like a little kid screaming and it drove me nuts!! I called my vet and she gave me some pills - she called them "Cat Valium" and I gave them to my older cat and eventually she mellowed out after a week of hell. I kept cutting her dosage down until she was back to normal and then took her off the pills. They worked like magic!!
FWIW - I am not a fan of medications unless they are absolutely necessary. If you do the introductions properly you should not need to drug the cat.

Also, Feliway often works wonders.