normal or hyperactive kittens?

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pennie's kittens are 11 weeks old, and we've found great homes for 3 of them. We may keep the remaining 2. However, they are VERY rambunctious. I mean, they don't chill out with us at all. My kids can pick them up, and the babies don't scratch or bite. But, they'll only sit still for several seconds, then they want to be down running or cuddling with each other. My question is this: Is this normal for this age, or are we causing them to be wild? Our house is on-the-go, with 8, 6, and 4 year old kids, 2 of which are boys. I would really like the kittens to sit with us, enjoy us. But, they don't. Any help is appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should have mentioned that we kept these 2 because they were best buds, always playing together.

I'm concerned that they won't settle down and become good family pets.

Is it just their age, or is there something we can do to settle them?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought my 2 home at age 7 wks and they never slowed down! At 6 months they still race around the apartment. When they were really young, they would race around and then plop down to sleep. Then wake to race again!

So that is probably normal.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal kitten behavior at that age. Kittens are WILD - if they aren't, then its usually something wrong (sick, etc.) They settle down after they are a year old. Even if you handle from birth, they still do not want to sit still for very long at times

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Normal kitten behavior at that age. Kittens are WILD - if they aren't, then its usually something wrong (sick, etc.) They settle down after they are a year old. Even if you handle from birth, they still do not want to sit still for very long at times
Exactly! Don't take it personally, but they're really not interested in interacting too much you at this stage, and probably won't be for several more months. Right now their interests are playing/exploring, eating and sleeping. And not necessarily in that order.

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that reassurance!

Of the 5 kittens we had, 1 was super-lovey (my favorite, but didn't get to keep him - I let the kids keep their favs, instead. And, yes, I am still heart-broken about this. My only consolation is that he went to a great home and is getting all of the love his little heart could ask for.) But, I digress.

The other 4 were pretty playful, these 2 being the most of the group.

My desire is to have a lovey cat (at least 1, out of the 3 we currently have - mama and 2 of her babies).

Guess I'll just work on my patience. It is a virtue, and with good reason.

Thanks, again!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you will be scheduling spay/neuter at around 3 - 4 months old. That will help settle them down a little

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 8 week old is crazy but hes a only kitten so when he sleeps its on me or with me at the foot of my bed under the blankets well hes going on 10 weeks now. lol i forgot. plus if they sleep when your not home they will be more energetic when you are home so you might not exsperiance there calm times.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sasha is still bad and she will be 2 in Aug.
My Oreo will be 1 in Aug and she is good.
All Kittens are like that.
Oreo was 3 Months when I got her and she never was real bad.
Sasha has always been bad.
Normal Kittens are hyper.

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be getting them neutered. Unfortunately, my vet doesn't do it until 6 months! Pennie (mama) is getting spayed in 3 weeks, and I may try to cajole my vet into doing the boys sooner, too. I would love it if that settled them down!

No wonder so many people opt for older cats! They skip this wild time. Although, they are soooooo cute! (It's their saving grace!)

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my oldest is 6 and my youngest is 2, with 5 others in between, and they still run and jump and play. Some like to cuddle, some don't at all. You won't know until they are adults what kind of cat you really have.