Our son just won an SF Bay Area-wide contest!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a call from Ben's teacher. Dana said, "Do you remember when kids went to the CA Symphony?" Yeah, I did. She told me that there was an art contest for the symphony. When they were in class the next day, she had them draw a picture and didn't give them any other directions other than putting the "Fantasia" video on.

Well, Ben was 1 of 3 winners in the entire Bay Area, in grades K-8!
His work and the works of the other winners and runners-up will be on display in the San Francisco Library from Mar - May, 2009. He gets a plaque from the symphony which his school is going to present to him at the 8th and 12 grade graduations this Fri. Oh, and we get a family pass to the family symphonies for next year's season!

Some of you know that Ben, 13, is bipolar. He doesn't think that he can draw and trying to get him to finish an art project is like pulling teeth, for both us and his teacher. None of us can believe it.

We have never seen the picture because his teacher sent it right to the symphony. Dana said it was done with markers, very bright, and very "Ben." She is sending home the contest rules and a photocopy of the picture with Ben today.

He doesn't know about the prize and will only find out at the graduation (he is in 7th, not graduating). DH and I are going and possibly his big sister.

We are SO proud of him and happy for him!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations to Ben!..
that´s a great notice!!!

Fantasia,
what a great play, I have it both,...

Originally Posted by butzie

Some of you know that Ben, 13, is bipolar.
I didn´t know about his condition my friend...
so is interesting the fact that he have easily to draw...

would you put some examples of his works?...
that would be great!...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Congratulations to Ben!..
that´s a great notice!!!

Fantasia,
what a great play, I have it both,...

I didn´t know about his condition my friend...
so is interesting the fact that he have easily to draw...

would you put some examples of his works?...
that would be great!...
I can't post a copy of the picture because it is now property of the SF Symphony. I only have a black and white photocopy from his teacher. It is abstract and has musical notes, G- clefs, etc. on it. The other 2 winners were girls.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Congrats, Rosemary and to Ben!!!
Thanks! Do you know how hard it is going to be for DH and me to keep this a secret until Friday noon?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome, Rosemary!!! What a boost to his confidence that will be!
Now just try and keep that silly grin off your face for three days!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

That's awesome, Rosemary!!! What a boost to his confidence that will be!
Now just try and keep that silly grin off your face for three days!
I will just go to TCS and say

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's wonderful! I know you're just flying, and I sure understand why! I hope this encourages Ben to express himself through art more often. Gosh, I can hardly wait to see the picture! Surely they'll put it up online somewhere eventually, hm?

Congratulations to Ben!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh, that's wonderful! I know you're just flying, and I sure understand why! I hope this encourages Ben to express himself through art more often. Gosh, I can hardly wait to see the picture! Surely they'll put it up online somewhere eventually, hm?

Congratulations to Ben!
I am not sure that I can get the Symphony to post it on-line but I will ask if they can send my a picture, because it won't be on display at the library until Mar 2009!

And to think that we didn't see it because the teacher, rightly so, just sent it in the mail with the rest of the school entries!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is really exciting.

Congratulations to Ben and to his very proud Mom.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

This is really exciting.

Congratulations to Ben and to his very proud Mom.
Thanks so much! Going to have to work out extra tomorrow to burn off this newly found energy!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! What's even more amazing is that Ben is in a special school for kids with emotional problems in our county and it goes from K - 12. It is mostly funded by federal grants, so there are no art or music programs other than what the teachers do as part of the regular classes.

Not only did Ben win the top three awards, but another girl in his year won one of the 25 semi-finalist prizes. All from a small school with no art program.

Go Marchus Mustangs!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's fantastic news!!!!

I don't know if you would remember this or not, but at the job I was laid off from last summer I worked with people with different types of disabilities (from ages 18 and up) and I had several clients who had bipolar disorder, so I got to understand what people with that go through on a day to day basis. Each person was different, but I just really learned what a challenge it can be to overcome. To me, that really makes this special in 2 ways!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your understanding. It is a shame that you were laid off - I am sure that you were greatly missed. I hope that when Ben is 18 he can find a program with someone like you in it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Thanks so much for your understanding. It is a shame that you were laid off - I am sure that you were greatly missed. I hope that when Ben is 18 he can find a program with someone like you in it.
Aw thanks.
The company i worked for was a vendor for the state's Voc Rehab division and a non-profit, so positions can be hard to fund.