Ladybugs galore!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since Friday, my house has been covered with ladybug pupa and various stages of development.
They are a beneficial insect, so I won't kill them, but will they be leaving anytime soon?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! I've never seen so many!

Lady Bugs are one of the few insects that don't scare me. However, I've never seen them in that number before, so I think I'd be freaking out. One or two at a time ok... but a swarm?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is more then I've seen, and I work at a nursery! It just means there is a lot of food for them in the area, garden parasites. They will disperse eventually.......

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
How cute! You could actually sell them, I think! Not sure how you'd go about it though lol, but pepole do buy them to be used as a natural organic pesticide in the garden.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen many many of them here and they usually stay around here until it gets cold in the fall then they get a little worse then trying to get in where its warm. My dad has to spray for them cause they turn his white house orange and red horribly.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Would you send some to me please. I have aphids on my honeysuckle and my roses so the little beggars would be wonderful.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always heard it's good luck when a ladybug lands on you -- so it looks like you're set for LIFE!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE keep them. Between the ladybugs/Asian beetles and the box elder bugs over here - I really HATE both. They are on the house all the time and somehow are finding a place to come inside and they follow to the lights (our ceiling lights are yucky with dead box elders/ladybugs).

Hammy - what kind of spray are you using to kill them?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the larvae are all full grown in that pic and the pupa will hatch soon, all of them in mabye 3 weeks tops. Just leave em alone because if you have so many of them you must have even more aphids! I get alot here in Spring on the house but not that many, though me personally would like to see that many. I also see a few pink ladybugs aswell.

They sell ladybug houses too, so that if they try to enter your house in Winter (they dont in my area), the ladybug houses attract them and stop alot from going in your house.
In Spring they leave there houses to mate and feed.

Houses
http://www.ladybuggiftstore.com/Ladybug_House.html

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ladybugs bring good luck...
you are going to be very lucky.

hammyandwaf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad has an exterminator come to take care of it.. Personally i think they are pretty, and unlike my dad i dont kill things, (he is a hunter---yuk) so therefore i wouldnt kill them either and i agree with everyone else that it is good luck to have them.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good grief, I have never heard or seen anything like this! I love ladybugs too, but agree this would creep me out. It stands to reason that they must have aphids or some other insects to feed on, so I suppose that's a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have any aphids, sure don't see them. I think the ladybug eggs were in the big spruce tree in front of the house, because for a few weeks tons of birds were pecking at the limbs. I wondered what they were eating at the time, probably the eggs, and what they didn't eat has hatched. The birds are gone except for the nesting wren and robin.

The ladybug house is cute, but if these guys don't leave, I will need a dozen of them.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

since Friday, my house has been covered with ladybug pupa and various stages of development.
They are a beneficial insect, so I won't kill them, but will they be leaving anytime soon?
We'll take em! Dh wanted to buy some. Something is going after his pepper plants

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

We'll take em! Dh wanted to buy some. Something is going after his pepper plants
I see you are in Philly, if you want some, pm me, and come and get em. bring a big paper bag, I guess. We can throw in some grass and ladybugs. I know they are fragile, I have them climb on something to move them. You can have all you want.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well, I guess now we can brag that TCS is so animal friendly, we are even involved in finding forever homes for bugs!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Well, I guess now we can brag that TCS is so animal friendly, we are even involved in finding forever homes for bugs!
That's right. I feel like a mommy of hundreds. I watched as they developed from pupa to adults.