Let's Go Red Wings!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight in Hockeytown (Detroit). Wings are up three games to one in the best of seven series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. I fully expect the Wings to win Stanley Cup number eleven tonight. Which would make me very, very, very happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh...

Penguins are up 2-0 in the first period. Goals by Hossa and Hall.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rooting for them too!

Years and years ago I used to date a hockey player from the Winnipeg Jets who went to play with Pittsburgh. Any hockey fans remember Kim Clackson? He came to my high school to talk about something. I wasn't at all interested in hockey but my friend was so I stuck around so she could talk with him. She got her questions answered and I got the guy! LOL

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not happy. Detroit was up 3-2 with 34 seconds left, couldn't clear the puck from their zone and the Pens tied it.

We're going into overtime, which gives me ulcers.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Not a happy camper.
Neither am I. As a Ranger fan I hate the Penguins, especially their forever whining captain, Greg Louganis.....er, Cindy Crybaby.....er, Sidney Crosby. Plus they have 2 of the dirtiest players in the NHL, Jarkko Ruutu and 54 year old Gary Roberts. Not too crazy about the crybaby coach (He and Cindy feed off each other, apparently) and Mr. Slewfoot Evgeni Malkin, either.

I'm still trying to figure out how this series is 3-2. I mean, after the first period last night Pittsburgh had at most 4 scoring chances. Unfortunately they converted on 2 of them. Meanwhile Detroit was so dominant that it looked like the ice was tilted. Men vs. Boys. The puck just refused to go in sometimes, and time and time again they bailed Fleury out (he was looking behind himself after practically every save) by shooting wide.

Well, in a best of 7 the best team almost always wins, and Detroit is so much better than Pittsburgh (and the rest of the league) that it's not even funny. But you don't want it to go 7 games because anything can happen. So for numerous reasons I really hope that the Wings wrap it up tomorrow night.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Neither am I. As a Ranger fan I hate the Penguins, especially their forever whining captain, Greg Louganis.....er, Cindy Crybaby.....er, Sidney Crosby. Plus they have 2 of the dirtiest players in the NHL, Jarkko Ruutu and 54 year old Gary Roberts. Not too crazy about the crybaby coach (He and Cindy feed off each other, apparently) and Mr. Slewfoot Evgeni Malkin, either.

I'm still trying to figure out how this series is 3-2. I mean, after the first period last night Pittsburgh had at most 4 scoring chances. Unfortunately they converted on 2 of them. Meanwhile Detroit was so dominant that it looked like the ice was tilted. Men vs. Boys. The puck just refused to go in sometimes, and time and time again they bailed Fleury out (he was looking behind himself after practically every save) by shooting wide.

Well, in a best of 7 the best team almost always wins, and Detroit is so much better than Pittsburgh (and the rest of the league) that it's not even funny. But you don't want it to go 7 games because anything can happen. So for numerous reasons I really hope that the Wings wrap it up tomorrow night.
YOu and me and thousands of Wings fans agree!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sick to my stomach over last night's loss.

34 seconds away from winning the Cup...34!!! That's a good example of what can happen when you repeatedly fail to clear the puck from your own zone.

Hopefully, they'll wrap this up tomorrow night. I don't want a game seven.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as they started to unpack the Cup, I knew it was over...and not in our favor. That's a no-no!!! How stupid could they possibly be??!!!??? At that instant, we became doomed. Now we have to go to Pittsburgh, the home of Crybaby Crosby, Evegni Milquetoast, and Coach Whiner Michelle, and try to win without home ice advantage. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they totally blow it now. I'm so depressed....

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just have to sneak into this thread to say GO PENGUINS!
At least they've made it more interesting. I'm hoping for game 7 and may the best team win.

(FYI, I'm a Carolina Hurricanes fan, but having grown up in Western PA, Penguins are #2)

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I'm sick to my stomach over last night's loss.
What surprised me the most was Detroit's inability to not only score on the power play near the end of the 2nd OT, but to even apply any kind of pressure.

I mean, under the circumstances I thought for sure that the entire PP would be spent in Pittsburgh's zone, and that Detroit would just keep blasting away until the puck finally went in.

Well, that didn't happen, and worse yet, the dominance that Detroit showed over Pittsburgh throughout pretty much all of periods 2-5 evaporated. The 3rd OT was more or less even.

I still think Detroit will win (of course that's the result I want so maybe there's a little bit of wishful thinking going on). Last round Dallas thought they could get right back in the series when they won game 5, but Detroit quickly shut them up in game 6. Only problem is that Pittsburgh is much more explosive than Dallas and Pittsburgh is very good at home.

We shall see....

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

What surprised me the most was Detroit's inability to not only score on the power play near the end of the 2nd OT, but to even apply any kind of pressure.

I mean, under the circumstances I thought for sure that the entire PP would be spent in Pittsburgh's zone, and that Detroit would just keep blasting away until the puck finally went in.

Well, that didn't happen, and worse yet, the dominance that Detroit showed over Pittsburgh throughout pretty much all of periods 2-5 evaporated. The 3rd OT was more or less even.

I still think Detroit will win (of course that's the result I want so maybe there's a little bit of wishful thinking going on). Last round Dallas thought they could get right back in the series when they won game 5, but Detroit quickly shut them up in game 6. Only problem is that Pittsburgh is much more explosive than Dallas and Pittsburgh is very good at home.

We shall see....
I agree with you. I have a lot of confidence in "my" Red Wings but I don't have a lot of it when they play games with multiple overtime periods because it often ends up biting them in the rear. I had a bad feeling when the Pens were awarded the high sticking major (right call, though) that the Wings were in trouble.

Before the series started I predicted the Wings winning in six games. They won't be rattled by the loss and I feel they'll end the series Wednesday night.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
As a die-hard, life-long Flyers fan, I'm sayin GO WINGS!!
Last night was actually Flyers night at the Phillies game and I went... unfortunate that our guys were available to attend, but it was still nice.

I CANNOT STAND Sissy Crosby! I've told many people, if I ever meet him I'll promptly slap him and tell him to take it like a man

What I wanna know is who's paying off the officials: the Pens or NBC? Um 2 goaltender interference calls on the Wings that weren't even CLOSE?! And the nice second assist by the ref on that game-winning goal?! How convenient! I hope the Wings slaughter the Pens in their own building and flaunt the cup around the ice in their faces

My mom had said she read/heard somewhere that the NHL had "Advised officials" that it would be best of them to avoid too many calls on the "star" players... that is SUCH bull! Call the game as you see it, regardless of who's the one making the penalty... and for the love of all things hockey holy, START CALLING DIVING PENALTIES!

Ok, done ranting for now

Oh, PS: at the Flyers Wives Carnival in February, I got my picture taken kissing the Stanley Cup - I can now die a happy woman

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Bettman (commissioner) has told the refs to make calls on Detroit (the better team, hands down) so that it will go to seven games. Draw it out, make money, make it look like a contest. Bah. I think Detroit has done well, playing against a team that has four more guys on the ice than they have.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Bah. I think Detroit has done well, playing against a team that has four more guys on the ice than they have.
Exactly..... same thing happened when we played the Pens (although we played badly as well) and I said it's kinda hard to have a shot when you're grossly out numbered the entire game

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Exactly..... same thing happened when we played the Pens (although we played badly as well) and I said it's kinda hard to have a shot when you're grossly out numbered the entire game
The series against the Rangers was also extremely laughable as well. Halfway through game 1 I stopped counting how many ridiculous calls and non-calls there were. Of course the Rangers hurt themselves in plenty of ways but....

This is what happens when you go up against The Chosen One's team. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman came from the NBA, which is a true "superstar's" league if there ever was one. I mean, Patrick Ewing traveled about 50 times each and every game. And Michael Jordan, who certainly didn't need the help, got waaaaaaaayyyyy more calls than he should have if the game was officiated by the book.

The NHL, desperate for ratings, has decided that Crosby is the face of the NHL and they are ramming him and his team down our throats with the heavily biased commentary on NBC and Versus. The funny thing is that he's not even the best player on his own team, much less the entire league. And neither of them is as exciting and fun to watch as Ovechkin. But from a marketing perspective, who is the NHL gonna push? The effeminate-looking kid from Canada who arrived in the NHL with great fanfare, or his ugly Russian teammate, or some other Russian who doesn't play in a big market? Of course they're gonna go with Crosby.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe if enough of us bombard the NHL with "disgruntled letters" they'll wise up a little haha

I basically agree with everything you said lol

I'm a nascar fan too and I recently compared Miss Crosby to Jeffy boy Gordon in racing - they both whine and cry all the time just to get what they want and they can dish it out on the ice/track but can't take it