Albino Hairless Sphynx

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Hairless sphynx had 2 kittens. One of them has no spots and red eyes. Would this increase the value of the kitten? He has great vision. Sharp as a whip

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it won't increase his value. I hate when people put a higher price tag on a kitten just based on color or sex. You should price the kitten as to type - either a pet quality or a potential show/breeder quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i dont mass produce or anything. I have a male and a female as pets and when they mate i just sell the ones they have. I was just wondering. Dont know much about the whole breeding thing. They are awesome cats through.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kevinva

i dont mass produce or anything. I have a male and a female as pets and when they mate i just sell the ones they have. I was just wondering. Dont know much about the whole breeding thing. They are awesome cats through.
Please don't take this harshly, but if you don't know much about breeding, you shouldn't really be breeding.

Good and responsible breeders take many years learning about breeding, where their animals come from, health, and many other things which doesn't happen overnight.

I'm surprised the people you got your sphynx from would allow you to have kept them intact - a responsible breeder would not have allowed that.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some quick questions:

1. Do you have a contract that the owners sign?

2. Do you require the kittens to be neutered/spayed (or have them done before they leave your house)?

3. Do you keep them for a minimum of 12 weeks - most breeders do not let pedigree cats go to new homes before 3 months old - usually 3-4 months.

4. Are you willing to take back any kittens that cannot be kept from the owners?

If you don't do the minimum of the above, then you really should not be breeding to make extra cash. And if your cats are NOT show quality or produce show quality, they really should not be bred.

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get the message. I dont post ads, I dont have a kennel farm. Relax. I was just wondering.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not that - we are concerned about your "ethics". We believe you when you say you don't mass produce, but what about the other questions I've asked?

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do not neutered/spayed them before they leave

I do take them to vet before them leave my home

I do keep them for 12 weeks a least sometimes more

I do make sure they are litter trained and eating healthy

I only sell to friends and family very discounted.

I would be more than willing to take them back if someone cant keep them.

Ethics is not a problem for me or my family. My wife and I are both successful and do not do this for a living

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t know anything about breeding but your cat sounds cool looking. Do you have pics to post?

Please keep in mind that there are some pretty ignorant people out there. More so then not unfortunately! So I think most animal lovers are always on the defensive of animals just because we hear so many stories of stupid people doing stupid things.

Anyways, pics please! Lol

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will post pics this evening

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I own a Sphynx cat
Great breed of cat. I also would love to see pictures.

Don't think of it as the kitten police KevinVa. Many things you are doing are right, such as vet checks and keeping them at least until they are 12 weeks and screening homes.

But did you know that you are mass producing in one sense if you let all cats leave your place intact; at least you are contributing to the pet overpopulation problem if you don't spay and neuter the offspring of your two intact cats?
Do you have any idea of the amount of kittens that can come from 2 cats?
FACT: One female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years.
Take from
http://catnet.stanford.edu/articles/s_n_facts.html
The cats you let go, make more cats, and the cycle continues vigorously.

Do you at least scan hearts on the breeding parents?

Do you have any sort of contract to protect the kitten, saying it must be returned to you if they decide to take kitty to a shelter?

I do hope you aren't ran off and hope you stay and post pictures. My intent isn't to be a police.

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never looked at it that way cococat. I will talk to the wife about having them fixed before they leave. Scan hearts? They go to the vet twice a year other than that we feed them quality cat food.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kevin,

I just wanted to add that unspayed/unneutered cats are at a much higher risk of developing cancer and other health problems.

kevinva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all good breeders spay and neuter their kittens before they let them go to new homes, but if they don't, they have a contract stating that the new owner MUST get their kitten spayed or neutered. Some vet's still refuse to do early spay and neuter. I know when I bought my Bengal he was in tact, but I signed a contract that I would get him neutered asap. My vet was willing to do the neuter at 4 1/2 months, so I had him neutered 2 weeks after I got him. Usually, in a situation like mine, the breeder will hold on to the papers until they're sent proof that the cat has been fixed.

It might be different for you, because you are only dealing with family and friends, because you may have a trusting understanding with them. However, I would make sure that anyone who gets your kittens understands they must be fixed.

I too am very interested in seeing your Albino kitten.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three sphynx. Love them, can't say enough!!! I have never seen an albino and would love to see pics. Please post soon....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you've reconsidered to spay/neuter before they leave. And in the future (when you run out of friends/family) I strongly urge you to be writing up contracts for any kittens and being sure they are spayed/neutered.

The extra cost can be added into your price on the kittens

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love to see Pics also. I am on a waiting list for a Sphynx. They are due in July and will be ready in Nov. I am number 4 on the list but everyone else wants a certain Sex and Color.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen sphyxes, but I've never touched one. Is it true that they feel like warm velvet?