Lindt 99% cocoa chocolate

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love the high cocoa percentage chocolates, so of course couldn't resist the Dark 99% Lindt stuff while we were in Switzerland. I don't believe I've seen it sold around here.

Anyone tried it? Apparently you can't "just eat it", you have to let it melt in your mouth so the bitterness doesn't overpower the flavours. I'm quite excited

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the highest percentage i've ever tried [or seen around] is their 85% one... it's pretty good!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Lindt chocolates! I think the highest percentage I've seen is 75% but I haven't tried it. I don't care for the really bitter dark chocolates. I do love the white chocolate, though.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
haha, never tried too dark a flavor, I'm more a milk/white chocolate kind of person.....

Lindt is by far my favorite, though it does get expensive to buy

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a big dark chocolate fan, and normally the darker the better. I don't really like milk chocolate at all actually. I've tried the 99% before, and I'll agree that it was meant for cooking rather than eating as a chocolate bar. I couldn't eat it. I like the 70-85% range Lindt chocolates MUCH better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have instructions for the 99% stuff. Apparently you should get used to the 70 and 85% first, then move onto the 99%, and make sure you let it melt in your mouth rather than bite it. Apparently it's good with coffee or dessert wine to help being out the flavours.

There's quite an art to it it seems

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried it but it sounds interesting.

I am totally dark chocolate addicted
I don't really like milk chocolate anymore, and as for white "chocolate"... don't get me started on that stuff, lol.

My favorites are the Godiva midnight swirl, but I don't remember what % they are.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

My favorites are the Godiva midnight swirl, but I don't remember what % they are.
went to the Godiva website:
Midnight Swirl - \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tVelvety ganache made with 85% chocolate in a dark chocolate shell

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I prefer milk chocolate too..but dang Sarah, instructions to eating chocolate?! it must be good!
I thought that was kind of interesting, so even though I'm not a big fan, I think trying it may be interesting.

I do like the regular dark Lindt chocolates (in the blue wrapper), but I haven't tried the ones that look like this..

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by h~chan

I thought that was kind of interesting, so even though I'm not a big fan, I think trying it may be interesting.

I do like the regular dark Lindt chocolates (in the blue wrapper), but I haven't tried the ones that look like this..

Those are good!

I much prefer Godiva chocolate though.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

went to the Godiva website:
Midnight Swirl - \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tVelvety ganache made with 85% chocolate in a dark chocolate shell
Ok, that's making me
just thinking about them!
Fortunately, the store is not too close so I can't get them often. Else I'd weigh tons more than I already do!

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Those are good!

I much prefer Godiva chocolate though.
I haven't ever had Godiva chocolates (kind of weird since I'm a chocoholic!)..

Surely I'm not the only one??

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by h~chan

I keep those in stock all the time.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I love the high cocoa percentage chocolates, so of course couldn't resist the Dark 99% Lindt stuff while we were in Switzerland. I don't believe I've seen it sold around here.

Anyone tried it? Apparently you can't "just eat it", you have to let it melt in your mouth so the bitterness doesn't overpower the flavours. I'm quite excited
Originally Posted by sarahp

They have instructions for the 99% stuff. Apparently you should get used to the 70 and 85% first, then move onto the 99%, and make sure you let it melt in your mouth rather than bite it. Apparently it's good with coffee or dessert wine to help being out the flavours.

There's quite an art to it it seems
It is awesome, and those instructions are right on the money. You do need to get your palate accustomed to the high-cocoa-content chocolate, and you do need to just let it melt in your mouth, in small pieces. A nice dessert wine for chocolate is Quady's Elysium. Serious Yums.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really a chocolate fan, but their yoghurt wildberry seasonal chocolate is just to die for!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

That Quady Wine is Great with the Chcolate. I have a bottle of Quady Essensia and Elysium. I love all the Quady Wines. I have the Lindt Intense Orange Chocoate. I also get these sometimes. (http://www.lindtusa.com/shop_product...oductShopBy=32)
Yup, you're right: all the Quady wines are nice. I have a special fondness for the Elysium, as it was the first of them that I met -- in circumstances in which I needed a lift -- and that discovery gave it to me.

The Intense Orange is one of our favourites. We like a little sweet after dinner, but often don't want anything too sweet/heavy. There's always a bar or two of Lindt in the chocolate basket on the kitchen table and at those times we have a square or two with the last of our wine, and are well satisfied. Have you run into the Creation series? The Chili Cherry one is a nice change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

It is awesome, and those instructions are right on the money. You do need to get your palate accustomed to the high-cocoa-content chocolate, and you do need to just let it melt in your mouth, in small pieces. A nice dessert wine for chocolate is Quady's Elysium. Serious Yums.
I may have to pop into BevMo and have a look for it!

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Have you run into the Creation series? The Chili Cherry one is a nice change.
A couple of other Lindt flavours I got while I was there was Creme Brulee, and Intense Mint or something like that, and Stracciatella (chocolate chip) and "Noir & Lait" which was milk chocolate with a white creme filling.

We also went to the Sprungli shop... Sprungli split from Lindt (even though Lindt is still called Lindt and Sprungli), and became a high end chocolate store mainly in Zurich.

Sprungli sells these things called Luxembergeli's which are divine. They look like oreo-style cookies, but the biscuit part is very light and almost meringue like with a cream filling. It's melt in your mouth delicious and literally had us groaning in taste ecstasy - and DH usually isn't fond of sweet stuff.

I had some francs in my purse when we came through the airport, and there was a Sprungli store there, so used the last of my money to buy a box of truffles. The truffles are fabulous as well - I'd say better than Lindt truffles. I got a heap of different flavours, and DH and I are excited about working our way through them

I also had a Sprungli hot chocolate and OMG it was the most divine hot chocolate I have ever had in my entire life. I had a Lindt hot chocolate from the Lindt cafe in Sydney, which they serve to you as a cup of warm milk, and a little jug of melted chocolate to pour in. This was made up, so had lots of tasty froth on top and was divine. I usually have a hot chocolate and feel sick by the end because it's too sweet, but it wasn't the case with this - it was perfect.

And yes - I ate my way through Zurich...