I got it really bad once, and never again. Guess i just got immune to it. But i will say when i DID get it, it was on my hands, legs and arms. My Dad had a remedy, but i didnt think i could do it.
GLAD I DID.
If you can stand a few minutes of pain, get a deep bowl that you dont use for food anymore, or a bucket. fill it with 1/4 water, and 3/4 pure bleach. stick the affected part into the mix for a few minutes ( if its your hands, if not, dip a towel into it and hold on arm/leg spot, NEVER on sensitive areas!)
remove said part from water mix, and let dry. DO NOT touch eyes/face/body and or food. after 15 min, wash thourghly. DO NOT itch puss pockets for the bleach, that will create a burn!, do not put on skin that is already scratched so that its open.
Another way is this, told to me by a RN...
Bleach Household bleach can be used to remove the poison ivy resin and treat the itch. Dab the affected area with a cotton ball soaked in a mixture of half water/half bleach. If you put this solution on blisters, they should be gone the next day. Should the above remedy irritate your skin, try making a wet compress and add some table salt or Epsom salts to the mixture, and apply for 30 minutes. This will help dry out the area.
I did this when i had it bad, and believe it or not, the bleach will kill and dry out the poison, and you will be free of the itchies and bubbles in 24 hours.
DO NOT try if sensitive to bleach and or cleaners, and not for the very young! ( i did this at 12 years old) am now 30 and still havent gotten the stuff back again since i did that!
May NOT be the best idea, but it *DOES* work, and if you can stand it, its worth it not to go through the itchies and scratching.