Mmmmmm, ribs....

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's your favorite way to do ribs? We got a rack of baby back ribs today. My boyfriend really wants to start getting into grilling and smoking, etc...We got a nice rub that I think we're going to rub on and bake for a few hours, then some good sauce to put on before going on the grill. I like mine melt in your mouth, falling off the bone, but with a nice bark on the outside. Any suggestions?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Made some ribs last weekend myself and we own a smoker. If you have an oven and grill, you have some options.

You can do them entirely on the grill if you are able to somewhat control the temperature on it. Whether oven or grill: Rub them with your seasonings the night before if possible Put them in uncovered at 275 degrees for about 1-1/2 hours. Wrap them in foil and put them back on for another 1-1/2 hours. Unwrap the foil and baste them with your favorite BBQ sauce. If you want them crispier, raise the temp to about 325 and cook for an hour longer. If you don't want them as crispy, leave the temp alone and cook for an hour. Take them off and let them rest for about 10 minutes. If they seem a bit on the dry side, wrap them back in the foil and let them rest for 20 minutes.

Then slather them with more sauce before you serve them.

My technique changes with a smoker. I cook them at 225 for 6-7 hours total. And if you have a really big slab of ribs, extend the cook time to 2 hours open, 2 hours closed, 1 hour open.

Ribs are yummy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, we have put the rub on, (Stubb's BBQ rub) concocted a double rack and put them in the oven in the rosating pan, covered on 250. It's been about an hour and 40 minutes...my plan is to do them this way for 4 hours, then baste with sauce and put on the charcoal grill for a bit, until the outside gets....well, my mom says "until they're yummy looking. " LOL
If anyone thinks this is a bad idea...let me know soon! LOL
We are going to get a smoker, possibly next weekend.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh, what a coincidence. I made BBQ beef back ribs just last Friday.

I usually bake them in the oven for two hours, covered, at 300 degrees. While it's cooking, I start making my homemade BBQ sauce, which takes about an hour. I take the ribs out after two hours and pour the BBQ sauce over them, then put them back into the oven to bake for another hour.

No knife required to eat the ribs... just a fork.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I smother mine in BBQ sauce and wrap them up in heavy duty foil and let them sit in the fridge for a day. Then I toss them right onto the grill (in their tin foil bags) and give them 1.5-2 hours. Then open up the bag, but be careful because they will be full of grease which will catch fire if you let it drip, and put the ribs right on the grill to cook the grease off, coat them with more sauce and get a nice sticky finish on them. YUMMY! They're fall off the bone tender and if you get the heat high they should be crispy on the outside.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

So far, we have put the rub on, (Stubb's BBQ rub) concocted a double rack and put them in the oven in the rosating pan, covered on 250. It's been about an hour and 40 minutes...my plan is to do them this way for 4 hours, then baste with sauce and put on the charcoal grill for a bit, until the outside gets....well, my mom says "until they're yummy looking. " LOL
Four hours, wow! Let us know how they turn out!!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Four hours, wow! Let us know how they turn out!!
By "wow" do you mean, "wow, that's way too long, they'll fall apart/be dry/be tough/insert other disaster here, yikes!" or "wow, that's a long time, they'll fall off the bone and melt in your mouth!" LOL I'm going for the latter. Hopefully I'm right on.
They're looking great. They're bending nicely, they smell good. I just misted them with water, and in for another hour, then it's grill time!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If they are wrapped in foil the entire time, they won't have any bite to them. Open them up for a while during cooking.

And please tell me, what kinds of smokers are you looking at? DH and I bought a cheap one originally to try out smoking. When the tornado blew it into the next county, we were glad to see it gone. We then did some research and bought a Big Green Egg. Best darn smoker in the world, if you want my opinion!

We live in KC, one of the biggest smoking BBQ places in the country. We had to learn how to smoke meat!

If you have any questions about what you are buying, I can try to help, or at least offer my opinion.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

By "wow" do you mean, "wow, that's way too long, they'll fall apart/be dry/be tough/insert other disaster here, yikes!" or "wow, that's a long time, they'll fall off the bone and melt in your mouth!" LOL I'm going for the latter. Hopefully I'm right on.
They're looking great. They're bending nicely, they smell good. I just misted them with water, and in for another hour, then it's grill time!
lol, Wow as in wow Ive never cooked them for that long but I bet they'll be melt in your mouth tender!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

If they are wrapped in foil the entire time, they won't have any bite to them. Open them up for a while during cooking.

And please tell me, what kinds of smokers are you looking at? DH and I bought a cheap one originally to try out smoking. When the tornado blew it into the next county, we were glad to see it gone. We then did some research and bought a Big Green Egg. Best darn smoker in the world, if you want my opinion!

We live in KC, one of the biggest smoking BBQ places in the country. We had to learn how to smoke meat!

If you have any questions about what you are buying, I can try to help, or at least offer my opinion.
My mom said they have a Mr. Meat smoker, I was going to look for that one, but I will look into the Big Green Egg too.
I would love any help or advice. Meat isn't cheap, I don't want to mess it up too often! LOL

Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

lol, Wow as in wow Ive never cooked them for that long but I bet they'll be melt in your mouth tender!
Oh, they were PERFECT!!!
That method worked wonderfully. The only thing is I won't put as much rub on, it killed the meat taste a little. But the texture was just how I like it. There was no fat to pick off, either, you could just eat them right off the bone. They fell apart a little on the grill, but that's fine by me!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my parents make the most amazing ribs! They do the bake in the oven then put on the grill method and they use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, man is that stuff good!
glad they turned out so well for you!