Litter box in basement?

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my ideal world I would like to move the litter boxes to the basement.

I will be slowly moving them towards the door, then to the landing, then to the bottom of the steps.

Anyone have opinions on litter boxes in the basement? Does it work for you? Did it not work for you? Etc.

Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our basement is a half finished one - indoor-outdoor carpet on most. The painted cement part is where the litter pans are. I have no problem with them being in the basement. Especially if you have company over, you can put the cats in the basement and all their stuff is down there. We have some friends that are allergic to the cats, so for short visits, they are sent to the basement.

strays welcome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had no problems moving my cat's litter box to the basement and I did exactly what you plan to do. The slow move to the basement took around a week. She adapted very well and she never had any accidents in the process. If I remember correctly, I also kept a small box upstairs in the usual place until I knew she was comfortable in our basement. Once the move was final and the box was downstairs she actually started using it more because I think she likes the privacy.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input.

We are renting so our plan is to remove the basement door and replace it with one that we can cut a hole in. Then when we leave we can just put the old one back on.

Leslie

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
my parents have had their LBs in the basement for as long as I can remember- never had a problem! I wish I had a basement

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid, we had a litter box in the garage and a kitty door in the door to the garage; it worked very well indeed.

I wouldn't recommend it for a household with "elimination problems", but it sounds like your situation works well now, and you'll change it slowly so as to keep any problems from happening.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My litter boxes have always been in the basement without any problems. In fact when my sister comes to visit she brings her cat whose litter box is not in a basement and he has no problem finding it!!

Just a thought though-I run a dehumidifer once the temps reach the mid 70's as our house doesn't have A/C and when it finally gets a bit humid there can be an odor at times. I just keep the basement door open a bit so they can get downstairs.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a problem at all - unless the person in charge of the litter doesn't scoop as often as they should. I say that because in our last house the litter was in the basement and my hubby was in charge of scooping since his workshop was down there and so was he most evenings. However, he did not scoop regularly which was totally unfair to the cat.

I have our litter in our bedroom so it is kept clean and odour-free

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

My litter boxes have always been in the basement without any problems.

Just a thought though-I run a dehumidifer once the temps reach the mid 70's as our house doesn't have A/C and when it finally gets a bit humid there can be an odor at times. I just keep the basement door open a bit so they can get downstairs.
on all counts.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never had a problem--only ours is in the garage, not the basement. But even when the kitties were little there were no accidents (I'm pretty darn proud of my furballs
)

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My old place had a basement and I liked keeping the litterbox down there for various reasons. My only issue was my own forgetfulness- the whole "out of sight, out of mind" thing- so there was an occasional day here and there when it didn't get scooped (looking back, I guess I was lucky that my kitty never had peeing-out-of-box issues). In my current apartment, the litterbox is so close to my living room, it's nearly impossible to forget it's there.