Why is it...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that when women have a problem with the car, they never stop to get it fixed or at least stop so it won't get worse? And why don't they ever tell you when they put a new scratch on it?

My mother's idea of "preventive maintenance" was to push the car to the side of the road when it quit running, so it wouldn't get hit.

(There ladies, equal treatment, right?)

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the car is making a funny noise, it just means you need to turn up the stereo a little louder.

I can't get offended by the equal treatment, because after reading the thread on men leaving messes, I think I might be a guy.
Right now, the kittens are playing with an empty soda bottle that fell off my desk. Yesterday. See how quick I am to pick things up?!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you saying that cars need more maintenance than oil changes 1000s of miles beyond what the Jiffylube sticker says? Really? Hmmmm. Could explain that burning smell every time I drive.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most women are not car mechnically minded.

As far as scratches - a lot of guys are "possessive" about cars and have a fit if it gets damaged, so we don't tell you about scratches, etc. My ex would go into a tantram if the car got a little scratch. (he also abused me) So I would try to not tell him about it when it was done.

Thank God I have a husband now, who is not an
about cars and it doesn't bother him about a little scratch or dent. To us, cars are transportation and so what if it gets a few scratches

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Evolution

We have been condition to believe only Men can tell if the cars are broken..
It rates right up there with only men can take the lid off the jam jar

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty45;2310802 said:
Most women are not car mechnically minded.

QUOTE]

That reminds me of the time I pulled into a station for fuel and noticed a lot of oil on the floor underneath a womans car. She was there with the bonnet up trying to steadily top up her car with oil, but down through the hole where the dipstick is situated

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could counter with...why do men insist they're going to fix something for you, and then put it off for weeks and weeks, when I COULD have taken it in and it would be done?
I have a headlight AND a tail light that my boyfriend has been telling me he'll fix....it's going on 2 months now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So...are we agreed that maybe men and women are actually different species with a symbiotic/parasitic relationship? (Sorry, too much science fiction!)

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be some kind of mutant. I check all my own fluids regularly, I can work on my own truck, given directions and enough time, and I when I had my Sportster, nobody touched it but me. A blind guy talked me through a full top end job, It cranked on the first kick, and off we went to Myrtle Beach.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was little, my dad taught me the very basics of taking care of a car (checking the oil, airing up the tires, etc.). Then I met John, who collects old cars and knows just about everything there is to know about them. He has taught me so much about them, I feel fairly confident that I could do anything that's necessary to fix my own car and if not, he can fix it for me.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be the total opposite of most women then. I take care of my car like its my baby.

Any strange noise or feeling and I am at the mechanic..also, Blueington gets his oil change every 3 months, no question!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

that when women have a problem with the car, they never stop to get it fixed or at least stop so it won't get worse? And why don't they ever tell you when they put a new scratch on it?

My mother's idea of "preventive maintenance" was to push the car to the side of the road when it quit running, so it wouldn't get hit.

maybe the women YOU know, but thats NOT me. I change my own brakes, tires, belts, headers etc. I also take care of my care like it was a child. I wash, clay bar, polish wax and detail her. I LOVE my car, and working on her to make her eye ctaching and fast

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I don't have time to take care of my own car. I'm too busy cleaning up the things DH leaves behind.
(JK) I do actually make sure my car is in good running order.

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you pointed out the central issue very well. Women only see cars as a machine to get them to work. Men see car's as a symbol of independence, especially our first cars. That and some guys lose there virginities in their car so that makes it special to them as well. The reason that we get so crazy about our cars is because we have a lot of memories associated with them. Most of male bonding in the teen and college years happens in a car so their are a lot of memories that are associated with that. A girl doing damage to a car and not telling us is like a guy going over to your photo albums and cutting out photos.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah, I was just twitting you all with a stereotype. Funny how it goes both ways, isn't it?

I think a lot of guys just don't see the importance of continuous cleaning. When it gets bad enough, we'll clean it!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my car started making a funny noise and the check engine light came on, I immediately took it in to the mechanic. Turns out the mechanic that gave me my tune-up last put the wrong type of spark plugs in. It also needed new spark plug wires, that is why it was "missing"

The biggest dent in the car was caused by a minor accident when a car changed lanes in front of me and their front tire hit my right front bumper panel. The car that hit me was a POLICE CAR!!!! He made me late for work but I got a kick out of his buds teasing him about it. My insurance covered it (though I used it to pay bills) and almost a year later I got my deductable back.

I do need an oil change now, but I have to wait until I get paid again.

When DH is approved for his disability and they pay him the back pmts, he wants me to buy a brand new car with it. I would love to have a new car and not something that was someone else's problem before. That is was a lot of used cars are.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must be obsessive with mine. I take care of my car like a nut. It may not always be clean, but I do wash my own car, check all my levels, vacuum, and check air pressure in the tires.

I also take it in every 3,000 miles for an oil change, it gets tires rotated and balanced every other time it goes in. I just had to take it in this past week because my splash guard panel underneath was hanging on a thread.
It was fine the night before, but that morning I heard a horrible sound and it really freaked me out!
I taped it up enough to get it to the dealer and I was out in an hour.

I think it depends on the person. I am anal about my car being clean and looking nice. I don't feel clean unless my car is clean and running smoothly. I know that if the problems do not get fixed and preventive maintenance not done, it will only cause you more money in the long run.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

If the car is making a funny noise, it just means you need to turn up the stereo a little louder.
That is what my husband told me

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not ALL women
I've been working on cars for 11 years now. But both DH and I have been known to turn the radio up a bit if it's not a serious problem

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I own my truck, I do not share it, I do my own maint. unless it is beyond my scope/toolbox.
It goes without currently due to money issues, otherwise, I'm pretty analretentive about keeping it up, both cosmetically and mechanically.

I'm more of a guy in the automotive/electronics area and more of a guy in the housekeeping area