I Need Advice Please!!!

petenos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok my neghbor moved and abandoned his cat and of course being the animal lover I am I took her into my home. Well, over the past few weeks her tummy has gotten bigger and bigger and I'm not sure when she actually got pregnant so I'm not really sure how much longer it will be before they're born. She has been laying on her back alot and been very vocal and she doesn't sit down all the way, she squats. We have actually been able to feel the kittens moving. So, I was wondering about how much longer it may be from these signs. Thank you to anyone who can possibly help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petenos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I'm new at this, I haven't had a cat for several years and all my former cats were males so this is my first time owning a pregnant cat. I have several places "made up" for her to choose from to have them in, but I'm worried that it will happen in a bad spot or on the carpet or something...I guess I'm just a little nervous.
But I have a little kit put together with everything I may need just in case. I just don't really know when it's going to happen. By the way your 3 cats are BEAUTIFUL!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to tell when you don't know the approximate day(s) she mated. But I would guess you might have around 2-3 weeks more/less. To be on the safe side, start confining her to one room in the house with a birthing box and her litter pan, food/water so she gets used to where you want her to have them

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First off, good for you for taking in the mom. Secondly, I wouldn't worry so much about the mess created by birthing fluids, as they'll come out of the carpet with Spot Shot....I use that for everything that is emitted from the cats LOL. I have found in the past that birthing fluids are easy to wash out, I wouldn't worry so much about that. Now, having said that, you still want to do all the things you're doing with the nesting boxes etc, as you really don't want the babies born under your bed.

Good luck with the event!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petenos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again to those who posted! I didn't even know this site existed but was browsing the www for info on cat preg. and found it...I LOVE THIS SITE!! It's so informative and it seems like everyone really cares about one another! So I just gotta send some love to the site and everyone involved!

I have a very large dog cage that I'm thinking of using for her (if she likes it lol) It's large enough to fit 3 or 4 grown men inside!! I used it when I was training my pit bull when he was a baby and he doesn't use it anymore. (don't worry, I know it sounds bad to have a preg. kitty and a big pit bull in the same house but they absolutely LOVE each other!!!) I also wanted to try to keep Nos (pit bull) away from Gypsy (kitty cat) before, during, and after the birth, cause I figured that even though she loves her doggy brother she may get nervous with him around.

LoL I'm so nervous about everything I've even put together a little "birthing kit" I have a large bowl (for warm water) a couple of old towels, a pair of safety scissors, and a nasal aspirator (the ones they use for babies) just in case things don't go as planned...she's a young cat and I've heard that young cats sometimes don't clean the babies off like they should, so that scared me a little bit!

Thank you to everyone that has advice for me!! And if anyone thinks I need anything else for my "birthing kit" let me know...I know I'm a little crazy but I'm a first timer and I want everything to go ok for Gypsy and the kittens. I'm just a concerned mommy! I don't have children so my animals are my life!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very large dog crate would be fine
Better then roaming around the house and its a good place to confine the kittens for awhile.

I learned a few tricks breeding rexes. Use two pillowcases. One put in some newspaper to absorb the fluids/blood when giving birth. The other put in one or two soft towels. After all the kittens are born then change the pillowcase with newspaper for the pillowcase with towels. The pillowcase will not catch tiny kitten claws like a regular towel/blanket would.

If you witness the births - be sure to count placentas (one for each kitten) - a retained placenta will cause infection in mom cat.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by petenos

Thanks, I'm new at this, I haven't had a cat for several years and all my former cats were males so this is my first time owning a pregnant cat. I have several places "made up" for her to choose from to have them in, but I'm worried that it will happen in a bad spot or on the carpet or something...I guess I'm just a little nervous.
But I have a little kit put together with everything I may need just in case. I just don't really know when it's going to happen. By the way your 3 cats are BEAUTIFUL!!!
Why, thank you so much! You shouldn't worry too much about the location.
If she is like most cats I've seen, she will be in your lap or make you sit right by her side!
You have certainly found the greatest site on the net for expectant kitty mom's and their humans!
Welcome to TCS, by the way!