Swung by the shelter this morning...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
on my way to north Dallas for a hot rod show.

Lots of new kitties in the cages. Seven of the cats I was concerned about are no longer there. I think 4 of them were adopted, but I'm worried about a pair of very nice half-grown kittens and a big, tall orange boy who looked like a Savannah cross. There are a lot of kittens coming in, and this is a very dangerous time of the year for adult cats. I hope they all got adopted!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finding good homes for all the cats that need one is so hard

I took Matilda to the groomer yesterday to be shaved. The groomer is right by a spay/neuter clinic and a local cat rescue group. I was really tempted to go in and look but knew that it would just be heartbreaking as I can't bring any home. I saw someone (I am pretty sure it was a foster mom) with a carrier in the back of her car with three kittens that I think she was taking to PetCo for an adoption event. It's definitely not a good time of year for animal rescue work...

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitties. I hope they all find good homes.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amen to that! We are over run with kittens here in SE Michigan.... and once they leave that cute little fuzzball stage they are very hard to place.

I have a huge soft spot for a young black cat we have right now! He's about nine months old, named Kaalu. He's a great guy, big,handsome, very smart, but didnt' get placed when he was littler and now I am really worried about him finding a home.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and vibes that those precious kitties have been placed
I know that it is so very hard to visit those kitties in the shelters, so sad and frustrating, but when I do, I have given them at least one more visit, one more scritch, one more extra bit of love than if I hadn't gone. Besides, my personal beliefs let me have faith that if I can pray for a specific cat, the odds are better that it will be placed. I have seen it work several times
I do believe that there are cat guardian angels hard at work

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its tough for kitties here too. My group is currently working with Fairfax County Shelter because they just got a bunch of cats/kittens from a hoarder. We pulled some kittens and are looking for foster homes to help us pull more.

for your kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went and did my weekly "hard duty," petting, brushing, and playing with the cats.

The two kittens I was worried about, both white/tabby, a brother and sister, were taken to the vet for neuter and spay. They're getting to that age, you know. They are very nice kitties.

The last one I haven't heard about is the tall orange boy. I hope he got adopted. Once they are neutered and out front, they are rarely euthanized, but it can happen. He was sort of an odd duck, looking fierce but a real cuddle buddy.

They had a new blue kitten, about half grown, also. Very calm, and a serious lap warmer. I went to the vet and paid for him to be neutered, just to nail down a place for him and increase his chances. I also got to name him. He looks like a Russian blue, so I named him "Nicholas."

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I went and did my weekly "hard duty," petting, brushing, and playing with the cats.

The two kittens I was worried about, both white/tabby, a brother and sister, were taken to the vet for neuter and spay. They're getting to that age, you know. They are very nice kitties.

The last one I haven't heard about is the tall orange boy. I hope he got adopted. Once they are neutered and out front, they are rarely euthanized, but it can happen. He was sort of an odd duck, looking fierce but a real cuddle buddy.

They had a new blue kitten, about half grown, also. Very calm, and a serious lap warmer. I went to the vet and paid for him to be neutered, just to nail down a place for him and increase his chances. I also got to name him. He looks like a Russian blue, so I named him "Nicholas."
Bless you for caring. It is very heartbreaking to see the older cats sitting there waiting. I wanted to adopt an older cat but Mary only takes to kittens. She was just under a year old when we got her and I think she would have been sitting for a long time too. She is unremarkable if you just look at her and don't realize that she is a bengal mix. She looks different than the normal DSH but people wanting kittens would not have seen that. But I feel guilty when I see all those wonderful loving cats waiting for a furever home. I want to take them all. I wish the programs to match the elderly with an adult cat were more organized or that adult cats were used more in therapy situations.
At the shelter where I volunteer I fall in love every time I go..

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

I have a huge soft spot for a young black cat we have right now! He's about nine months old, named Kaalu. He's a great guy, big,handsome, very smart, but didnt' get placed when he was littler and now I am really worried about him finding a home.
that how i ended up with heyu,
she was the last one left out of the littler she was in.
even at 7 months old she was sooo tiny, and shy.
no one wanted her.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our shelter has trouble with the tabby cats. They just don't catch your eye.

One of the cats I was worried about was a very calm dilute calico, about 8 years old, and declawed. She came in with another cat, one that looked like a Japanese Bobtail, also declawed. The black one got adopted over a week ago. Last Friday, an elderly woman came in and adopted the calico. It should be a perfect match; all she wanted was a lap to curl up on.

Quanah, my orange long-haired buddy, was adopted by a girl going a way to college.

And some brave family adopted the two terrors, a black and a blue short hair. Boy, are they in for some fun times! Those two have enough energy to power a small town.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

that how i ended up with heyu,
she was the last one left out of the littler she was in.
even at 7 months old she was sooo tiny, and shy.
no one wanted her.
UPDATE: Kaalu got a home with a lady who already has cats. I am both sad and relieved .. letting go is part of the job, right?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Just think he gets to play with someone and won't be lonely.

I like hearing that the cats are getting homes.

opilot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
God Bless all who work at the shelters volunteering to help
the cats socialize.

I did not realize Fairfax was so over run - hoarders are sad, and
I wish they did MORE to help the person address the mental illnesses.

Then they won't do it again - but with out treatment - they will
hoard again.

V. difficult. I have one Foster Feral/Semi Feral out of PG shelter -
scheduled for a PTS - nothing wrong with him, great indoor/outdoor
kitty, just not a love bug... I am working to get him taken into a rescue
and placed in a good home. I think he'd make a swell barn kitty...
or indoor outdoor pet.

I have another lovely boy on loan to help socalize and he is adoreable.
He was dumped at Petsmart one day. Sad isn't it?

And my last gal is the difficult to place Baby - the feral/semi tame but when I want to be VERY tame, munchkin legged Main Coon tailed girl!! I think I may be stuck with her for the duration. Hard because my OTHER female, Frogita likes being boss gal...

Good luck to all in the shelters. It is the hardest time to work a shelter - kitten season. And so hard to get attached. I have to stay away, given my 6 cats at home, and the 12 ferals in my colony I care for!!

Too many cats!!! LOL

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stopped by again this afternoon when I got back in town. Some nice lady adopted one of our newest long-haired calico kittens and a big old yellow guy named Memphis. The staff said she took the two into the "play room" and Memphis made up with the little girl immediately.

From all I can discover, the tall leggy orange boy was PTS. No one is sure, but when all the cages in the back are full, the least likely to be adopted out front have to make room. And, in all honesty, he had very little curb appeal. You had to get him out of the cage and in your lap before you discovered the lover under the tough outer shell. He was almost 18 inches tall at the shoulder; I would guess some sort of Savannah cross. He had the thin head and heavy whisker pads, too. He still might have been adopted, but without a case number or a name, it's hard to find out. They've had a big run on adoptions lately.

And, in that vein, they have a beautiful black kitten that has longer, silver hairs over his black coat, especially on his back. Looks like a sable, or some such thing. Anyone know what you call that color?