Emergency kit for you & your animals

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case of Fire, Tornado, Hurricane, Earthquake, Apocolypse, etc...

How many of you have an emergency kit for yourselves?

How many of you have an emergency kit for your pets?

What is (or should be) in an emergency kit for your pet?

Do you actually think that you could capture your cats to take them in an emergency?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I have a kit for me and my sister/roomate

I also have one for my three cats!

I have dry food(enough for a week), plastic bowls with covers for water and food, water (enough for a week), litter, box, scoop, newspapers, pre moistened cleaning cloths for messes, carriers, leashes and harnesses, toys ,treats, catnip, feliway spray, favorite blankets, brushes, their vet records and i.d.'s, plastic baggies, first aid kit for animals.

Do you actually think that you could capture your cats to take them in an emergency?
Yes...they are super easy and my place is super small
I am taking them wherever I need to go...i'll live out of my car if I have too!
This is so funny that you posted this...I was just thinking about it and doing a search of old posts....
Can't wait to see what others post!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about a pet emergency kit.
I should have one for myself but I don't. I have the stuff around, water, flashlights, first aid kit and stuff like that but not in a bag or central location.

I could capture my cats. We also would live in my car. It is possible to live in my car too which is why I bought it. I planned to go camping using it.

But you did get me thinking. Thanks for the wake up call. I was caught in a hurricane in Florida so you would think I would know better.

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i never considered having a emergency kit. i have one for me for my "habit" but i dont have one for church who i got a week and a half ago.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The American Veterinary Medical Association has comprehensive information on disaster preparedness, "Saving the Whole Family" here: http://www.avma.org/disaster/saving_family.asp

I don't have a complete kit together yet, but I've been working every now & then on sorting out my cats' records, putting pertinent info in a plastic folio that will fit into a waterproof bag, and also putting it on a thumb drive. I already keep copies of the dog's records in a plastic folio in the car so they're readily available whenever I take her anywhere (she usually goes with us when we travel). I try to keep all the pet meds together in a kit, and try to keep a stock of canned and dry food in the pantry where it can be accessed quickly if needed. All the pets are microchipped, though I do still need to update my info with the microchip company (thanks for bringing this up!).

I don't have anything approaching an emergency kit for the humans, though - I have the necessary items, but they aren't kept together.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For me and my cats, we don't have an emergency 'kit', but we do have all the necessary items ready at hand. We can catch them quick too, and have carriers for each. We also have a rather spacious trailer, so we can all easily live out of there for weeks (we have enough food, water, etc for it, though we only ever gone for long weekend trips with it so far
).

For us though, it is not really necessary. We live in the middle of the prairie, where the worst that ever happened was a small flood, but since we live on a high area we weren't bothered by it. There are no large lakes nearby, and have never recorded a tornado anywhere near here. So we are probably more laid back than we should be about the whole emergency kit thing.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is getting to be hurricane season, so I had better get my hurricane kits together. I have carriers for all my cats, and could catch them if I had to. I have a pickup truck that I could make shelter out of if necessary, and I always buy mostly dry food and canned goods for us this time of year and get meat as I go along, so I do not have much in my freezer. I already have several days worth of wet food, and need to get a bag of dry food anyway, so I will put half of it in a plastic container. I have a generator, too, but need some tarps. The dollar store has 6 packs of bottled water for a dollar, so I am going to get some of them, and take some gallon jugs and freeze them to help stay cool. The better prepared I am, the less likely we are to have a bad hurricane. We have been blessed with very little damage from any one we have been through. We live in a low lying area, but the city put really good drainage right in front of our house.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a small first aid kit that I carry in my bag with me every time I go dog walking. It has basic supplies for an emergency, the idea being that I'd take them to the nearest vet if something happened.

In my apartment our cat carriers are always assembled and accessible. We'd be able to catch them in a hurry, as they tend not to hide very hard.

We have tons of human first aid stuff, but it's not well organized for a disaster.

I think it's a great idea to have kits made up and ready to grab!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have several emergency kids for myself!
I have emergency kits for each cat!
I need to buy an emergency kit yet for my puppy Middy, they sell them at my vet!
I could capture my pets just by snapping my fiingers!! Litterally, they all come when I do that!

My Emergency kits for the kitties have first aid supplies in case they are hurt, cat food, MRE style water, a very small bag of some absorbing weird kind of cat litter, a chemical to put in the "cat waste" or "people waste", and general stuff like that! I dont have vet records or anything else in there yet though. There is a sign on my door that says
"In case of Emergency, Please save the Pets!"
Then you write how many cats, dogs, and theres like a ton of different other animals on there too, but we dont have those so we just put 0 for them!
Its nifty, but I should get better supplies for the pets ready! My stuff isn't exactly new!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have absolutely no emergency kits ready for me or the cat! I know it's bad, but really when you live in northern california the worst that can happen is an earthquake. And those bad ones happen not very often. I agree, the better prepared you are, the less likely something bad will happen, so I better get goin on those kits. We are always prepared with lots of human and cat food at home.

What kind of supplies would you use for first aid on a cat?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am planning to put together a kit actually. I have a list of supplies needed for an emergency kit (for people/pets) which I printed from these two webpages:

http://www.dogscouts1.com/uploads/Di..._emergency.pdf
http://www.dogscouts1.com/uploads/Di...uation_kit.pdf

Right now though I don't really have one, although I do have a large pet first aid kit and "In Case of Emergency" signs on both doors. I also do have a carrier set up by the door in case of an emergency and plenty of canned food. Oh I also have copies of vaccination records for my pets kept in the car in an emergency folder...
I just need to sort of organize everything into one place.

I know I would be able to catch Church with no problem, I trained him to come when called using his favorite treats so as soon as I call out "Churchie!" he comes running. Sneakers never hides even when 'scary' things happen so she would also be easy to find. I am not sure about Roxy, but she would probably come out if I made weird noises...

newsocalrn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many of you have an emergency kit for yourselves? Not yet but I am going to put one together very soon

How many of you have an emergency kit for your pets? See above

What is (or should be) in an emergency kit for your pet? Batteries, first aid supplies, water, dry food (both for me and my kitty) her medical records, updated address, flash light. All to be contained in a bag by her carrier so we could grab and go during an earthquake (hopefully easily)

Do you actually think that you could capture your cats to take them in an emergency? My place is small and there are very few places that she can get into where I cant grab her. So hopefully I could, I may end up with a few scratches but who cares as long as we are safe

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are just screwed here I have nothing for the cats. When it was one cat we would have been cool. Now with 4, will I guess I need to get busy, at least with portable dishes and litter boxes. Earthquake is about the only thing I face from Mother Nature. If we have a BIGONE, I don't know if I can be ready enough.
K.

indys mamma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the worst we have is very slow flooding sometimes.... never actually come in the house but the lawn was drowned

rural England really doesn't hold many dangers... at least not the bit I'm in.

in the unlikely event of a disaster though I am set, my camping kit under the stairs, Indy is caged so easy to catch, dogs come when I call
so grab mobile, dogs insulin, some cans from the pantry, the pets + camping kit and I'm all set

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Where are the answers? How many points do I get for answering correctly?
Just kidding, you have made me think and that's something I don't do very often. We should think about our pets just as much about these things. I recently posted a thread about knowing where my ER was but not knowing where one was for the cats. Shame! And now I am going to feel guilty about this. But not for long because thanks to you I am going out and getting whatever is indicated by this thread!