Sammy Sits in the Middle of the Kitchen and Screams for DOG FOOD

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I posted in Nutrition awhile back that Sam seems to really like Sandy's dog food and was this ok? But in the past month it has become his obsession. He literally sits in the middle of the kitchen floor and howls for dog food until I give him a tiny teaspoon of the broth, only. He then wants more. All day, that's all he thinks about! I think he is addicted to dog food! I purchased some really good duck from Pat and he eats that but then he just screams, lurks, and paws around for dog food. It's nuts!!
I cannot figure this one out!

Has anybody ever heard of this? he's otherwise in very good health at 10 yrs.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite simply, stop giving in to his screams and he will stop screaming
cats, like children do what works.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's going to be hard but you just have to ignore his pleas. You will have to be strong for Sam while he goes through the withdrawal pains.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maaybe get him a repacement obsession. Some other kittie junk food at least would be better than dog food.

a little dog food isnt that bad for a cat is it? assuming its good qaulity, but i understand you dont want a screaming cat everyday
if only he knew thats not the way to get what he wants

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always catch one of my kittens eating out of the dry dog food bowl! It is so soo weird!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

It's going to be hard but you just have to ignore his pleas. You will have to be strong for Sam while he goes through the withdrawal pains.
I know I need to be, it's so hard - you know he's allergic to any fish or fish by-products and any dairy so I am so weak with him because he never gets to eat anything good. I do need to get earplugs like gemlady says!

And no, Meowers it's not necessarily bad for him - we use ProPlan beef and rice for Sandy which is really good quality.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO you are rewarding him for screaming by giving him what he wants. Maybe just walk away when he starts screaming for dog food and then when he quiets down, give him a reward.