how to get cat pee smell out?

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My grandma was given a gorgous new comforter with a matching bedskirt and shams and pillows for Christmas. At the time she had 4 cats, 2 elderly not neutered spraying males and 2 females with equally bad habits. She decided she did not want the comforter and offered it to me. It is beautiful. My mom brought it for me today and even though she said she washed it, it STINKS. Is there anyway to get the smell out? Could it cause problems with my 2 well behaved good bathroom habit young kitties?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll probably need some sorth of enzyme cleaner to get the smell out, not just for you, but for your kitties.

Because she had spraying males, you might have an issue with your cats reacting to that themselves. But, I can't give you a definite on that.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have 3 choices. First, an enzymatic cleaner. You can also soak the comforter in cheap vodka. It will take the smell out. We use it on costumes all the time. You can also try laying everything in the sun. It will help remove scents.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheap vodka? thats the first i heard i will have to try it on the couch!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can cause issues with your crew. You really need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750969
I would buy a big jug and wash everything in the washing machine using the nature's miracle.

I have heard good things about this one as well but I haven't tried it. I have used the nature's miracle.

http://www.weecleaner.com/

If you can still smell it than your cats can definitely smell it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

It can cause issues with your crew. You really need a good enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2750969
I would buy a big jug and wash everything in the washing machine using the nature's miracle.

I use Nature's Miracle on pet stains. We've used it when Nabu overshoots the box on walls, carpet, etc. We also used it on the occasions Raven
sprayed. You can check the spot with a black light. The Nature's Miracle works.

As a side note, I don't usually take things that I know to be cat pee stained. Nabu marked our camping mattress after it touched the floor in my Mom's house (who has a cat who misses the box). And we thought we had thoroughly cleaned it with Nature's Miracle when we got it home. After we cleaned it post-pee, he hasn't done it again. But I'm definitely paranoid about it now. Nabu doesn't usually go out of the box unless he's got a UTI, so that was quite a shock for us.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what about taking it to the dry cleaners? I bet they can get it out better then anyone else!

if not I found Natures Miracle works really well, just soak the area so its really wet , let it soak in a little, then use a paper towel and push on the spot to bring it up, dont wipe.

Or what about vinager? Sounds weird and I never tried it, but that smell is super strong, could probley kill the pee smell, and the vinager smell will fade, you could also spray febreeze over it when your done.

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

Or what about vinager? Sounds weird and I never tried it, but that smell is super strong, could probley kill the pee smell, and the vinager smell will fade, you could also spray febreeze over it when your done.
White or apple cider vinegar will work; if it's something that can be laundered, add the same amount of vinegar as detergent (I hope that just made sense!) when you put it in the laundry. Baking soda added with the detergent may help, too; just don't mix the vinegar and baking soda together unless you want a chemistry experiment in your washer!

Good luck!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my cat room moped twice a week with vinegar and water. Even the walls and baseboards.
You can soak it in enzymes overnight and then wash it. But if you are like me you may want to do it twice.