Non shedding cat breeds?

superpunchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am thinking of buying my first cat. I was wondering if there are any breeds out there that do not shed hair, and if so, which ones are they?

Many thanks

az<3me

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi there!!

the only non-shedding breed is sphynx all others do shed, although cornish and devon rexes shed less than all other breeds.

good luck

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A standard shorthaired cat does not shed that much - if it is a major issue you can choose one that does not have too thick a coat. Some of my cats shed much more than others, and Biscotte who has a very short silky coat, hardly sheds at all. I am not an expert on sphynx cats but I have heard that because they do not have the protective covering of fur, their skin needs extra care and they are not for beginners. Maybe a breeder can confirm/deny that?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats don't shed much at all, the silvers shed a bit more but even then it's minimal.

You also need to think about what sort of cat you'd like, high energy or a less active breed etc.

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Siberians also shed much less than most breeds They have major sheds 2 times per year and otherwise are very easy to upkeep.
Daisy

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Russian Blue Mix just finished her Spring Shedding.
Every cat sheds, however you'll find that the Russian Blue sheds very little, provided they are on a good balanced diet. You may see more shedding in spring and fall, while the cat changes seasonal coats.

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to have a non-shedder due to my husband hating cat hair on his uniforms(policeman). That is why I have Sphynx, three of them to be exact. They are the perfect breed in my opinion. Maybe I am a little bias though....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superpunchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

Question: Why do you specifically want a non-shedding cat?
I've grown attached to the next-door neighbor's two new black cats. They come over into my yard a lot and I pet them and scratch them and play with them a lot, except every time when I get up after playing with them, I'm covered in cat hair (something I'm not used to, and don't particularly care for). But I still like the cats themselves just fine.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you one thing: don't get a Manx if you're looking for low shedding! They are totally wonderful, but furry all the time even with brushing.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you just don't want hair getting all over your hands/clothes/etc... Best thing to do would be to look at the short haired cat breeds (or moggies), pick a breed with a short sleek coat (or the rexes which are curly, but don't shed as much) and then brush regularly... I can brush my domestic short hairs (both have very short coats) once a day and get about a fist full of hair from the brushing. When they go about 1 week without being brushed, I'll start to see loose hair on top of their coat and that's what will really get all over everything.

So, IMO, I'd suggest picking a short haired cat (breed or mix) based on temperment, etc...then just committ to a regular grooming routine. It only takes about 2-5 minutes per brushing session for me and it really works wonders.

Art

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
American Wirehair cats don't shed much and you really don't even need to brush them. They feel just like a lamb. I have two of them (altho one is smooth and sheds like a regular shorthaired cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
American Wirehairs better not be soft like a lamb. Part of the breed standard is a rougher feel to the coat - like a wirehair terrier dog.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

If you just don't want hair getting all over your hands/clothes/etc... Best thing to do would be to look at the short haired cat breeds (or moggies), pick a breed with a short sleek coat (or the rexes which are curly, but don't shed as much) and then brush regularly... I can brush my domestic short hairs (both have very short coats) once a day and get about a fist full of hair from the brushing. When they go about 1 week without being brushed, I'll start to see loose hair on top of their coat and that's what will really get all over everything.

So, IMO, I'd suggest picking a short haired cat (breed or mix) based on temperment, etc...then just committ to a regular grooming routine. It only takes about 2-5 minutes per brushing session for me and it really works wonders.

Art
i have 5... 2 that need me to comb them occasionally, & 3 that don't. but they all shed some... all are moggies.