someone was poking around the house

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 1pm, how i was sleeping i wakeup cause i am smelling Cigarette smoke. At first i thought the wife had a couple of friends over. Which is going to upset me.

Not cause she had friends over but that she was letting them smoke in the house, knowing how easy i wake up.

Well all 4 of the cats show up the bed room with heyu all puffy, and both she and broni where growling. OK that is strange.

putting on my clothes i get up, go downstaris, i dont see anything, no one is home, but i am still smelling cigarette smoke. I go outside and right next to the AC unit is 2 fresh butts.

Now i live in the middle of no where. there is only 4 houses on my street, and the nearest one to me is like 500 yards away. But i dont see anyone around the house.

Still someone was walking around the h ouse how i was sleeping, the wife said she did not come home until 4.

SO now i am left with WHO the heck was walking around my house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol yea, heyu does not like people period.
sad part was i never could go back to sleep i kept smelling smoke.
so i only got like 1 hour of sleep.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Creepy! Maybe they were casing the place to break-in? If I were you I'd pick up those butts with some tongs and put them into a bag and keep them just in case you are broken into. They can match DNA. Though I don't know how admisable they would be given that they weren't collected by the police.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put some motion sensor lights in and some NRA stickers on doors/windows (redneck security system
works in the south...)?

I've had Tomas run to me growling because he saw a shadow outside one night. I'm not sure if it was someone lurking about or a neighbor chasing their dog. Either way, he lets me know if something isn't right around the house.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol sure if you want to make that long drive.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the Mothman would look pretty good on my wall. I'll put him up there next to Yeti and the Thunderbird.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep the doors are locked. but it not that hard to open a locked door.
*not that i would know that of course

plus there have been several case around here where, people just kick in the door, even with people home. SO locked doors dont always help.

Itta was out with her other indo friends around here shopping, And did not get home for 3 hours later.

The only reason i smelled it, was cause they standing by the outdoor AC unit.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cctv set up above our front door, and it's so handy as you can see who is standing outside by watching the tv that it is plugged into. We have ours set up so it's connected to the tv in our dining room. It's great! We don't have to open the door to anyone we don't like (especially sales people!)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do people come to read gas/electricity/water meters? Could someone decided to puff away while they were there on business?

I know I've had the **** scared out of me in Australia when I've seen someone walking around only to discover it's the meter readers.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the meter readers would be smoking on the job. Maybe someone was hiding out for a bit by your house. Hopefully only a one time incident.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
maybe one of the neighbours wifes parents were visiting so they decided to hide for a while

on a serious note thats scary :?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeeeaaahhh... that would make me a little bit nervous. At a minumum, it's trespassing....

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Do people come to read gas/electricity/water meters? Could someone decided to puff away while they were there on business?

I know I've had the **** scared out of me in Australia when I've seen someone walking around only to discover it's the meter readers.
Originally Posted by GailC

I don't think the meter readers would be smoking on the job. Maybe someone was hiding out for a bit by your house. Hopefully only a one time incident.
No meters here,
i talked to the guy that lives near me, he said that someone
tried to break into his house last week.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here, we've had a lot of copper thefts over the past couple of years, and what they mostly steal is AC units -- there's maybe up to $50 worth of copper inside them. Has that been happening up there?

Someone said a meter reader probably wouldn't be smoking on the job -- oh, how I wish that were true around here! Meter readers here are apparently the dregs of society. They smoke, they toss their still-burning cigarettes on the lawn, they stomp right through decorative plantings, and they even broke the gate on our side yard by forcing it when we'd deliberately jammed it shut so people wouldn't walk over ground we'd just seeded. (They don't need that gate -- we're the last house on the block, and all the meters are on the alley anyway... I have no idea why the guy was so determined to go through that gate!) So around here, the character of meter readers is gravely suspect.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you know anyone that works for a security system company, ask them for a sign. A lot of people just have the signs, and thieves don't know if you really have a system are not. We had a salesman that we got a system from that they were almost as much of a deterrent as a real system.