We need your help with a cat aggressive dog!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom adopted a GREAT DANE from a woman who couldn't keep him anymore (for free with food!). He's four years old and nuetured, and he's so awesome! He's great with kids, loves people, likes other dogs, but HATES cats. The cat part we haven't experienced yet. Mom has two cats, but I told her to keep them separated for awhile. That way he can get used to the smell of cats and their presence in the house. I told her I would get on thecatsite and get her some great advice from everyone here!!! So far he hasn't shown any interest in the cats. Granted he hasn't seen them, but he knows where they are. I expected a cat aggressive dog to scratch and bark at the door, but he doesn't care, he just wants to be pet. I also took him for a walk during my visit today and we walked right by two cats. He perked up and got a little excited, but he didn't case after them when they ran away. I have some hope for him!

His name is Onex (sp?) like the black stone.

Little sis, Thor, Onex, and I!!!

He knows all sorts of tricks, one of them is hug! He's soooo heavy!

Little sis with him. He's moms dog though! She always wanted a great dane!

He's so much bigger indoors!

Mom put the food up...he could still reach it!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sure are you that he's cat aggressive? Maybe he just had a personality conflict with a particular cat.

Seriously though, it sounds like he's doing pretty well. I don't know Danes that well. What is their "purpose"? Like herding, hound, etc.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have! I hope it will work out! Mom's cats aren't very friendly and spend most of their time hidding. I told mom that would probably help because Leya will case dogs around our house and smack them!
And she's blind! It's funny to see, but I'm not sure I'd like that Dane in my house till we're sure he's not cat aggressive!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far I found that they are good at tracking, watchdog, and carting.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even think of that! I can't find much about what they were breed for in the begining other than watch dog.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many dogs are cat aggressive "sight" dogs. I.e. they see them, chase them, & kill them.

I'm not sure how to deal with it if he is cat aggressive.....if it's prey drive it's hard to over-ride.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Many dogs are cat aggressive "sight" dogs. I.e. they see them, chase them, & kill them.

I'm not sure how to deal with it if he is cat aggressive.....if it's prey drive it's hard to over-ride.
Oh shoot. I was hoping you would have some good advice. Do you think it is at all possible to work on it? I haven't let my mom mix the cat and dog yet. She lets the cats out for the day while the dog is in one of the bedrooms. He's so well mannored! He doesn't chew up anything, doesn't scratch at the door, doesn't bark. He's amazing.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, congratulations on your adoption and I truly hope that things work out between Onyx and the cats. I don't want to be a bummer here, but want to emphasize how potentially serious this situation is.

Most very long legged tall dogs are sight hounds, which means they were bred to see and run down their prey. You need to find out how he was dubbed "cat aggressive". What tests did they run on him?

I had 2 greyhounds (site hounds) and frankly, as much as I love that breed, they make me nervous around cats. I was able to break one of mine of prey drive, but only after he killed one of my feral cats. The other was fine with cats. When a dog that large kills a cat, they simply pick it up and shake it to break their spine. Once in motion, you cannot save the cat.

You have to get total control and loyalty from the dog before you can even think about teaching him that the cats are part of the "pack". I suggest obedience training, and not so much for the dog but for your family. Find one that goes behind the typical sit, stay, down and other tricks, but one that truly understands dog pack behavior.

I'm not sure what Onyx's former owner was thinking when they taught him to give hugs. A dog that large should never be taught to tower in a dominant position (looking down on you), not to mention the possibility of knocking you over!!!

Total separation is needed here. And I would invest in a soft muzzle in the mean time until you are 100% certain that he can handle the cats. I used a soft muzzle on both of my greys. The one with the high prey drive only went after cats that were running from him.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

First of all, congratulations on your adoption and I truly hope that things work out between Onyx and the cats. I don't want to be a bummer here, but want to emphasize how potentially serious this situation is.

Most very long legged tall dogs are sight hounds, which means they were bred to see and run down their prey. You need to find out how he was dubbed "cat aggressive". What tests did they run on him?

I had 2 greyhounds (site hounds) and frankly, as much as I love that breed, they make me nervous around cats. I was able to break one of mine of prey drive, but only after he killed one of my feral cats. The other was fine with cats. When a dog that large kills a cat, they simply pick it up and shake it to break their spine. Once in motion, you cannot save the cat.

You have to get total control and loyalty from the dog before you can even think about teaching him that the cats are part of the "pack". I suggest obedience training, and not so much for the dog but for your family. Find one that goes behind the typical sit, stay, down and other tricks, but one that truly understands dog pack behavior.

I'm not sure what Onyx's former owner was thinking when they taught him to give hugs. A dog that large should never be taught to tower in a dominant position (looking down on you), not to mention the possibility of knocking you over!!!

Total separation is needed here. And I would invest in a soft muzzle in the mean time until you are 100% certain that he can handle the cats. I used a soft muzzle on both of my greys. The one with the high prey drive only went after cats that were running from him.
Thanks for all the info! Wow! Maybe I could find some obedience training classes and we could take my little Thor and Onyx! I've been wanting to take Thor because when I try to train him he gets sad if he doens't do it right and just sulks.

I didn't even think about a muzzel!
That way we could eventually introduce him to the cats and not be scarred to death!

Thanks!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be aware, I've seen cat aggressive dogs kill cats despite a muzzle on. If they are truly that aggressive, he will find a way.

I'd find a good trainer & give him/her a call.

Was this a private adoption or through a rescue group?
Who labeled him cat aggressive & why?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just be aware, I've seen cat aggressive dogs kill cats despite a muzzle on. If they are truly that aggressive, he will find a way.

I'd find a good trainer & give him/her a call.

Was this a private adoption or through a rescue group?
Who labeled him cat aggressive & why?
This woman is going through a divorce and coldn't keep him anymore. She had three small dogs and two young children. She rescued him from a Dane rescue group. Apparently for his first year or two he spent his life tied up outside. She had an ad in the paper for a dog, free to a good home. She was just about to give up before my mom called. The owner had him for about two years and she is the one who said he is cat aggressive. She worries that he would kill a cat if he got a hold of it. Like I said when I took him for a walk he was ok other than getting excited. He didn't run after the cats when they ran and I just kept telling him to heal and walk forward. He didn't turn around or anything and calmed down within seconds.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So he's pretty much sight driven.....run = chase. Can't blame him.

If you can keep him on leash, once he & the cats have adjusted, introduce him slowly....you *should* be able to work through it.

However, be aware that this may always be an issue where he can never be trusted alone with cats.

I do find it funny, some dogs who are cat aggressive are fine with little dogs, but some aren't.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it- he hasn't shown any interest in cats, not even out on a walk, yet someone is calling him cat aggressive? I'd get to the bottom of that before I'd worry too much. As long as cats have their claws and can run away, climb up on the furniture or under a chair, they can usually take care of themselves.
I personally do not agree with the muzzle since that is the equivalent of handcuffing the dog, and dogs have been known to freak out (meaning, struggle and become very agitated) if someone they do not trust 100 % tries to muzzle them. Danes are usually very mellow dogs. They do not belong to the sighthounds, they are scuppoedly descended from Mastiffs, so they do not typically havea high prey drive. Of course each individual dog is different.
What has worked for me is to get them used to each others' smells before you do the actualy introduction. Wipe the cat with a towel, then wipe it on yourself, let the dog smell it, wipe the dog with a towel and leave that near the cat's food dish. Dogs will go by sight for sure if they have prey drive and are going to chase, but if they can smell that the furry creature is friend and not foe this makes them likely to give up the chase. I'd have the Dane on a leash for the introduction so you can keep an eye on what is going on.
And definitely extinguish the behavior where Onyx "hugs" someone like Momofmany said. A dog that size could hurt someone by trying to give a 'friendly' hug.
Good luck!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So he's pretty much sight driven.....run = chase. Can't blame him.

If you can keep him on leash, once he & the cats have adjusted, introduce him slowly....you *should* be able to work through it.

However, be aware that this may always be an issue where he can never be trusted alone with cats.

I do find it funny, some dogs who are cat aggressive are fine with little dogs, but some aren't.
Hopefully
we can work through it!!! The cats still have their claws thank goodness! It took me ages to get my mom to "think" about it.

I do think it's funny that he's totally fine with small dogs! What's the differencce between my Thor and a cat?
I'm sure he smells like cats!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

I personally do not agree with the muzzle since that is the equivalent of handcuffing the dog, and dogs have been known to freak out (meaning, struggle and become very agitated) if someone they do not trust 100 % tries to muzzle them.
I personally hate muzzles and bought one at the recommendation of the greyhound rescue group. Greyhounds have an advantage that when they are raised at a track, they are used on them therefore used to them. We only used it for short periods of time when the cats were first introduced to them. It sits in a drawer in case of a medical emergency.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I personally hate muzzles and bought one at the recommendation of the greyhound rescue group. Greyhounds have an advantage that when they are raised at a track, they are used on them therefore used to them. We only used it for short periods of time when the cats were first introduced to them. It sits in a drawer in case of a medical emergency.
Aside from their tendency to chase anything that moves (including plastic shopping bags blowing in the breeze)
Greys are usually very mellow dogs who are used to being handled. I'd personally be scared to muzzle an unfamiliar dog with an unknown temperament, especially one as large as a Dane.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

I don't get it- he hasn't shown any interest in cats, not even out on a walk, yet someone is calling him cat aggressive? I'd get to the bottom of that before I'd worry too much. As long as cats have their claws and can run away, climb up on the furniture or under a chair, they can usually take care of themselves.
I personally do not agree with the muzzle since that is the equivalent of handcuffing the dog, and dogs have been known to freak out (meaning, struggle and become very agitated) if someone they do not trust 100 % tries to muzzle them. Danes are usually very mellow dogs. They do not belong to the sighthounds, they are scuppoedly descended from Mastiffs, so they do not typically havea high prey drive. Of course each individual dog is different.
What has worked for me is to get them used to each others' smells before you do the actualy introduction. Wipe the cat with a towel, then wipe it on yourself, let the dog smell it, wipe the dog with a towel and leave that near the cat's food dish. Dogs will go by sight for sure if they have prey drive and are going to chase, but if they can smell that the furry creature is friend and not foe this makes them likely to give up the chase. I'd have the Dane on a leash for the introduction so you can keep an eye on what is going on.
And definitely extinguish the behavior where Onyx "hugs" someone like Momofmany said. A dog that size could hurt someone by trying to give a 'friendly' hug.
Good luck!
Thanks for all the information!!!

I think I will help my mom with the introduction sometime in the near future without the muzzel then. I had my mom buy the halter/face harness so it would be safe to walk him. My little sister can handle him now with that! He came to us with a pronged choke collar that stayed on him all the time. All he did was choke himself half to death with that choke collar and I feel much better about him using the face halter.

I'm not sure if anyone agrees with the face halter, but it's not a choice with this dog. He pulls WAY too hard and needs training. I was able to get him to heal with very little pulling when I took him for a walk yesterday. We all feel much safer with this harness.

I plan to introduce him to the cats with that harness. It controlled him perfectly on the walk.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom took him to the vet today to get all his shots, I don't know for sure what he is right now, but the owner said he was 130 pounds