Baby Horse Update!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The palomino will be two weeks old and the buckskin will be one week old on Friday! I can't believe how fast it's gone by! It took FOREVER for them to be born! Well, today I worked on, handling, haltering, and leading (the palomino). They are so cute!!! They actually walk up to you when you walk into the pasture! They love being pet!

The pasture

Tora, the buckskin

Wearing the halter!

She said the lead rope was too heavy!

"The Palomino" she still doesn't have a name
suggestions would be great!

Working on leading.

Leading! She's amazing! So willing to do anything for you!

This picture KILLS me!
As you can see Holly has decided to fully share her baby! You can see Bonnet next to the palomino in all the pictures! Holly is absolutely fine with the baby leaving her side as long as Bonnet is with her! Holly is so sweet to my old girl!
She wanted a baby so bad!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwww...great pics!!! Love the goatie in that last pic...

I need to get new pics of my boy...I finally gound a place to board him, although he is still an hour away...but the price is right for now, and I can atleast go see him weekly!

The woman who I am boarding him with is going to be having an Arab baby in the next month...I can't wait...I'll have to get pics of her horses too...Lol!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how about Sunshine for your baby palamino? She is such a sweet little weenie! And I absolutely LOVE your pygmy goat!! What's it's name??

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're adorable but that's so different to how I'm used to seeing foals raised.

Basically the only experience I have with horse breeding and foals is back home in Iceland with the Icelandic Horses.

You usually have the mares together in herds in a large pasture in the summer and then they give birth to the foals outside and they don't get handled at all until in the late fall when it's time to bring them into the stables. I used to go with my uncle to go check up on if his mare had given birth to her foal yet and we just went around once a week and then one week voila! a new few days old foal

Over the winter you train and ride the adults but you keep as hands off as possible with the foals and then once it's spring off they go to be free in groups in large pastures again.

Then you start doing the first halter work and getting them used to humans when they're around 3 years old, you can start putting the saddle on and working up to actually riding them for a bit at 4 years old and then by 5 years old they're usually grown up enough so they can be used as riding horses and trained properly.

The mares are usually somewhat skittish and breeding mares stay outside in their herds all year round so they go a bit wild usually and don't let you get too close to their foals when they're young

A nice picture of a herd of Icelandic mares and their foals: http://www.mbl.is/svipmyndir/skjamyn...d_1024x768.jpg
http://www.icelandichorse.is/images/...20Thufum_1.jpg

Anyway I know the way horses are kept in Iceland is somewhat different to how they're kept in lots of other countries (for example we pretty much always take the shoes off all the horses and put them out in big pastures in herds for around 3-5 months in autumn/beginning of winter and let them get fat and wild and don't come into contact with them other than just to make sure they're still healthy and to feed hay if there's too much snow on the ground)

I'm really interested in learning more about how horses are kept elsewhere, how are you planning on continuing raising the foals?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous pictures.

Hey, I've got a great name for the palomino! How about "Yosemite's horse"?
No? Aw, well, I tried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Awwww...great pics!!! Love the goatie in that last pic...

I need to get new pics of my boy...I finally gound a place to board him, although he is still an hour away...but the price is right for now, and I can atleast go see him weekly!

The woman who I am boarding him with is going to be having an Arab baby in the next month...I can't wait...I'll have to get pics of her horses too...Lol!
I'm so happy for you!!! My horse is an hour away as well
I go down to see her at least once a week. Once I'm done with school I hope to get a house and some land! Till then.....

Originally Posted by lauracatlover

how about Sunshine for your baby palamino? She is such a sweet little weenie! And I absolutely LOVE your pygmy goat!! What's it's name??
The goat's name is Cookie. The lady who had him before us thought he was a girl because he's fixed
He's a funny little thing. He's constantly getting out of the pen and roaming the farm

Originally Posted by Siggav

They're adorable but that's so different to how I'm used to seeing foals raised.

Basically the only experience I have with horse breeding and foals is back home in Iceland with the Icelandic Horses.

You usually have the mares together in herds in a large pasture in the summer and then they give birth to the foals outside and they don't get handled at all until in the late fall when it's time to bring them into the stables. I used to go with my uncle to go check up on if his mare had given birth to her foal yet and we just went around once a week and then one week voila! a new few days old foal

Over the winter you train and ride the adults but you keep as hands off as possible with the foals and then once it's spring off they go to be free in groups in large pastures again.

Then you start doing the first halter work and getting them used to humans when they're around 3 years old, you can start putting the saddle on and working up to actually riding them for a bit at 4 years old and then by 5 years old they're usually grown up enough so they can be used as riding horses and trained properly.

The mares are usually somewhat skittish and breeding mares stay outside in their herds all year round so they go a bit wild usually and don't let you get too close to their foals when they're young

A nice picture of a herd of Icelandic mares and their foals: http://www.mbl.is/svipmyndir/skjamyn...d_1024x768.jpg
http://www.icelandichorse.is/images/...20Thufum_1.jpg

Anyway I know the way horses are kept in Iceland is somewhat different to how they're kept in lots of other countries (for example we pretty much always take the shoes off all the horses and put them out in big pastures in herds for around 3-5 months in autumn/beginning of winter and let them get fat and wild and don't come into contact with them other than just to make sure they're still healthy and to feed hay if there's too much snow on the ground)

I'm really interested in learning more about how horses are kept elsewhere, how are you planning on continuing raising the foals?
Around here it's about half and half. Half of the horse breeders work with the babies immediately (the first two days are the most important), and half believe that the baby should be left alone till they are weaned at 6 months. As you can see we have begun working with them from hour one. We've talked to a few trainers and they also agree with what we are doing.

Originally Posted by pixietina

Im nearly crying at how adorabole they look with there halters on hehe!
and that goat

ooh i like sundance,milan

the eqyptian gods are good ones

God of Name
Sun Ra
Music Hathor
Destruction Sekhmet
Sky Nut
Earth Geb
Dead
Osiris
Desert
Seth
Pharoah Horus
Magic
Isis
Wisdom Thoth
Embalming Anubis
Justice Ma'at
Creation
Amun
Cats
Bastet
Hey thanks for the names! I think I like sundance too! What would you call her for short?

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

Hey thanks for the names! I think I like sundance too! What would you call her for short?
if you called her Sundance you could just call her Sunny for short

By the way Cookie has such a cute name!!
LoL what a sweetie! I want a pygmy goat now

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your baby horses are so cute!

I like the name Sundance too.
You could call her Sunny or Dancer if you want to shorten the name.
Bonnet is so cute the way she loves the babies so much, was she a broodmare before you got her?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vermontcat

Your baby horses are so cute!

I like the name Sundance too.
Bonnet is so cute the way she loves the babies so much, was she a broodmare before you got her?
She's nuts about babies. I get imbarressed when I bring her to horse meetings or rides because she neighs at ponies because she thinks they are babies!

We have no clue what her life was like before I got her at 17 years old. The guy I got her from was a horse trader, spends his days at horse auctions, and he said she hadn't been rode for 10 years. So either he was being honest and she was a brood mare all those years, or he lied and she wasn't broke. Either way I pretty much broke/rebroke her myself.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I`m dying from cute overload here!

They are just precious.

Is buckskin the name of the foals colour? I trained to work with horses but I never heard that before but I know things are bound to have different names and terms across the pond.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I used to look after a horse who`s show name was DanceAway but his owner always called him Dancer. His stable name was Bumble
which is what I called him. Soooo cute!

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the names Sunny and Dancer because I know two horses with those names.
My friend has an old Palomino named Sunny who my daughter learned to ride on when she was really little.
At the barn she rides at now they have two yearling fillies and one of them is named Meadow Dancer, she is called Meadow or Dancer.

That's interesting about Bonnet, I think it will be good for the foals and the mares to have her around, she's just so sweet.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

OMG! I`m dying from cute overload here!

They are just precious.

Is buckskin the name of the foals colour? I trained to work with horses but I never heard that before but I know things are bound to have different names and terms across the pond.
Yes that is the name of the color. A buckskin horse is that gold color with black mane, tail, and legs. They can also have a dorsal stripe like a dun. She had one, but it looks like she might loose it.

I like the names Sunny and Dancer because I know two horses with those names.
My friend has an old Palomino named Sunny who my daughter learned to ride on when she was really little.
At the barn she rides at now they have two yearling fillies and one of them is named Meadow Dancer, she is called Meadow or Dancer.

That's interesting about Bonnet, I think it will be good for the foals and the mares to have her around, she's just so sweet.
I hope they will like having her around! I think Holly is thankful for Bonnet. Holly had a really bad accident before we got her so she doens't really like to run around. She was a rodeo reining horse and they had her in a tinsel electric fence wire. Sadly she got caught up in it and ended her career early. She was worth $10,000!!! We got her for free.

Her back leg suffered the most damage.

It severed a tendon so she walks funny, but she has lots of room to walk in our pasture so she isn't stiff like she used to be.

Even her neck suffered some damage.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CUTE BABIES!!!!!!

----

Awww... poor thing
im glad shes in a better home now!

----

Have you ever thought about breeding Bonnet.. or is she to old now?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

CUTE BABIES!!!!!!

----

Awww... poor thing
im glad shes in a better home now!

----

Have you ever thought about breeding Bonnet.. or is she to old now?
The lady who owns the stallions desperately wants me to breed Bonnet to her buckskin stud. I think the poor thing is too old to go through that, she's a small horse and both studs are VERY big horses.

Plus Bonnet doesn't have any registration papers so the baby wouldn't be worth much other than a trail horse/family horse. I know she loves babies, but in my opinion at 21 she deserves to be retired from babies whether she likes it or not!