Kitten/Cat Food Question...

madmax72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I just have a quick question about foods- and I'm sure this question has been asked before

I was originally feeding my kitten Wellness kitten formula, but she was having some stomach problems so my vet put her on the Hill's Science Diet I/D formula.
She is all well and good now- no parasites or diarrhea- and the vet's office suggested that I slowly put her back onto a kitten food.

Now- my vet seems to really like Science Diet, she suggested it, and said that's what she gives her cats.
However, according to the owner of the alternative pet store in my area Science Diet will pay for vets to take classes and offers conferences and such, and in exchange the vet's are required to push the SD food.

I eventually bought my kitten some Innova kitten food- I liked the ingredient list, and according to the pet store owner the taste is really good.

So my question is: Am I being paranoid? Is SD an ok food? Or was I better off buying the more holisitic no grain food for my kitty?

Thanks!

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my opinion/experience, vets push the prescription diets because they sell them and they work, but I think it's going a bit far to think that vets will push Science Diet sold elsewhere because they've been told to push it. If the vet sells the non-prescription food, that's another story, but they're not going to get a commission on food sold at Petsmart or anything.

I think vets push Science Diet because they feed it to their own pets, and see good results. They feed it to their own pets because they can buy it at cost, and it's handy having it delivered right to their workplace. No second trip to the feed store after working a 12 hour day. Heck, I feed the Science Diet canned food to my dog because he does well on it, and I get it at a fantastic price through work. No matter how cheap it was, I wouldn't feed it if my dog did poorly on it. My cats won't eat the canned and do better on Chicken Soup than Science Diet, so I don't feed it to them anymore.

I'm not saying it's the best food out there, but I also think that a lot of independent retailers don't sell it because the profit margin is so low, especially if you don't buy in massive bulk, not necessarily because it's the food of the devil.

The best food is the one your particular pet does best on, that also fits the needs of the owner (in peace of mind, cost and preparation - not everyone can do raw, for instance). My parents' cat lived 18 long healthy years eating her favorite foods: Alley Cat and Cadillac canned. The cheapest of the cheap, and she wouldn't touch anything else. It takes some trial and error to find the best for you cat(s). I'm still looking for the right canned for mine. My chubby girl who should eat more canned doesn't like any of the ones I think are good for her.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet said, he recommends SD for animals that have specific health issues. If they have no health issues. feed what you can afford and what your kitty will eat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My vet said, he recommends SD for animals that have specific health issues. If they have no health issues. feed what you can afford and what your kitty will eat.
this is how it should be unfortunately some vets seem to carry reg and RX foods of certain makers and others even state ALL animals should be on RX s to GASP Prevent an issue

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves Science Diet. I found out the hard way, since I just started switching her to Wellnes, and I had to cut down the proportion mixed in cause she snubbed it! Innova is better than SD, but your kittie will let you know what it wants.

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went through the same thing with my kitty. She was on the I/D for gas and diarrhea for a few months and after it cleared up, the vet said it was fine to switch her. I did, and for a few months of trying different foods, she was fine. I finally have her on Wellness, and after a few weeks of it, she started with gas and diarrhea again. I was worried I needed to switch her back, but I stuck with it, and her stools are ok now. But I also started feeding Nature's Instinct wet.

I just don't understand how a food like I/D - with all the corn and fillers, can be a good intestinal diet? I admit, I am not a nutritionist, but if it turns out her diarrhea returns, I will put her back on the I/D, with colsultation with the vet, of course. If it helps, and the kitties like it, then that's all you can ask for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madmax72

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses!

I agree with Kittysback though- it seems weird to me that a food with fillers, and by-products would be recommended more than a more whole foods diet!

mbjerkness- it makes sense that it would be a food recommended for health issues, but not for everyday needs.

I guess I will just have to give it all a try and see what she likes! I gave her some of the Wellness wet kitten food the other day, which she demolished, so perhaps the issue is solved!

Thanks again!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MadMax72

Thanks for all the responses!

I agree with Kittysback though- it seems weird to me that a food with fillers, and by-products would be recommended more than a more whole foods diet!
I think many vets tend to recommend Science Diet because they are familiar with it. Hills (maker of Science Diet) provides textbooks for vet schools as well as nutrition seminars. They also offer a discounted food program for vet students. Therefore most vets are familiar with the food and so are more likely to recommend it.