Poll: How do your spouses/partners/SOs feel about your cats?

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how many cat lovers manage to find other cat lovers. My dad always professed not to like cats, but he had a soft spot for certain of my mom's cats. My SO has more experience with dogs, but he liked my cats right away; it took them a while to decide if they liked him, though.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of our current pets were acquired after we were married, but my husband bonded by my old girl Sheba right away. It's one of the reasons I married him.

I had Sheba 11 years when we met, and it took all of a couple of months before he was referring to her as "his cat."

I'm sure, being asthmatic and allergic, if it were solely his decision, my husband wouldn't have cats. Heck, if he had to clean the litterbox and dish out icky wet food, he wouldn't have cats. But he loves them as much as I do. Strangely, he's not allergic to our cats & dog, but if we visit friends with pets, he has a full blown allergy attack.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for three options. When John and I met, he had a cat and I had a cat. So he already loved cats and he loved my cat right away. Both of those kitties have passed away. All of our current cats we adopted since we've been together.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We kind of adopted them together (he didn't really have a say in the matter
), and I wouldn't say he loved them right away, but he does now - particularly Smudge. He often thinks about them, which is nice - things like "the kitties would love to play with that" or while we're away "I wonder how they're doing", or things like that.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rob grew up with dogs, as did I. He and Shasta hit it off quickly, before we could have been considered an item even. Every cat since her we have adopted together, and there's always at least one who bonds more strongly with him than with me.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too many options to pick (since its more then one)

Anyway, DH had dogs and barn cats. So we have cats together. He picked out Charlie after we lost our rex. Unlike my ex who only tolerated my cats but really didn't want them

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He grew up with cats, I grew up with dogs. Fate brought us a kitten trapped in the walls of our apartment complex and that was it.
All of ours were adopted together.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think my DH has always liked Popsie but I have to say DH loves him now. DH is always giving him scritches and smoochies. The other day I said, "Aww, you love Popsie don't you." DH was like yeah, he's a sweet cat. It was so cute.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend already had Kairi when we started dating. When we finally moved in together, we adopted Namine as a friend for Kairi so she wouldn't be lonely all day while we were at work. It's great having a boyfriend who loves cats as much as I do. He's always talking about getting a third, but that probably won't be able to happen for awhile.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I first started dating my DH, I told him if he didn't accept my cat, that our relationship wouldn't work. He admitted much later that he hated cats up to that point, but my darling Hippocrates won him over almost instantly.

We've adopted a lot of cats since then. Some he's bonded to immediately, some took time to bond with, and there are still cats in the household that he has a very limited relationship with. He's the dog person, I'm the cat lady and our cats were all born feral. I'm the primary caretaker so his attitude is not surprising.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We kind of adopted them together (he didn't really have a say in the matter
), and I wouldn't say he loved them right away, but he does now - particularly Smudge. He often thinks about them, which is nice - things like "the kitties would love to play with that" or while we're away "I wonder how they're doing", or things like that.

He likes cats, but he already had 3 pets and I had 1- so he was a bit reluctant about getting a cat because he thought it might be too much work.
I told him I'd take care of the cat on my own, but now that she's grown on him he helps take care of her. They're best nap buddies

fablegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend had many cats in his life and at the time we met he had two. I never had a cat and i was living with my parents at the time, who were only dog people, so my boyfriend decided it was time for my first cat and he would keep it at his house. I went over to his house everyday anyway and slept over on the weekends. It turned out great, and in the four and half years we've been together we have adopted 3 cats and a ferrett. lol. we love our cats so much! sometimes i get cute attacks lol i get stuck in this "oh look how cute they are!" lol.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're not my cats, they're our cats - though Tomas is bonded more closely with me.

DH feeds them, helps clean the litter box (with dumping it, not scooping), brushes them, holds and carries them around.... and is prone to baby talking Sho.
He didn't have any pets in the house as a child but did grow up with dogs - he prefers cats now.

He's pretty much an animal lover in general and his views are identical to mine as far as what's a pet, how all animals should be treated, etc. Probably why we have reptiles, too.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are both very much animal lovers. That is one of the first things that really made me fall crazy in love with him. His family had a dog and a cat when we met and my family had a cat and two dogs. My cat, Bean, was very aged and died a few months after my husband and I first met. He was always very sweet to her and she just loved him - which was amazing for the Bean. She was never especially friendly toward anyone! I just about passed out from shock when she actually laid down in his lap for the first time!

After my husband and I got married we adoped our Ringo from a local shelter within a few weeks of moving into our new apartment. We knew that our new place just wouldn't be a real home for either of us without a fuzzer to share it with.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband did not like cats before we got together. He was a dog man. When we first got together my cats smoozed right up to him and won his love over really fast!

The man who didn't like cats has bought 2 abyssinians and a bengal, and has rescued 2 stray cats!!!!!!

My husband is now a cat man!!!!! I love it!

One of the abyssinians is a daddy's boy. He loves his human dad more than anything!!!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was my boyfriend who converted ME!

I had always liked animals, tho' my mom wouldn't let us have pets growing up... and I have never owned one. I was actually bitten on the face as a girl by one of the neighborhood "meanie" cats.

But when I met Doug, he had a cat, Cato, who was such a sweet old guy!! I doted on the kitty more than the BF, I think. Cato won me over and I began volunteering with a local rescue. I found that I actually had an affinity with felines that I didn't know existed. Such interesting and complex creatures!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats are both, technically, mine but DH was the one who brought them home and he fell in love with them before either one made it in the door.

He rescued Tailer as a gift for my 30th birthday, and he adopted Forest (who was rescued by our vet) as my gift for our first wedding anniversary. Is he a guy who knows me or what?