Stupid Achilles Tendon *vent*

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last August, My achilles tendon started hurting so after I tried the usual ice, rest, stretching routine, I went to my FP. I informed the FP what I had tried so he referred me to a podiatrist whom I had seen before for a different problem. Unfortunately, this podiatrist was uncomunicative and just tried to sell me a bunch of different things that my insurance didn't cover. By December, I went and got a second opinion. After the second opinion Dr basically said that most of the treatment had not been done according to the way that he would do things, I went with the second Dr.

For the past almost 6mos, he has been treating the problem conservatively according to what all the research I have done says. For 6mos I have been taking anti-inflammitories, various courses of methylprednisone and been giving my foot lots of rest. In Feb, I finally found someone to properly fit me to some shoes and workshoes that didn't hurt. I think that I stopped the source of the injury, but for some reason, I am not healing.

Now, since all of the conservative courses of treatment have been tried, I am going to go for an ESWT treatment (kind of like lithotripsy for kidney stones) which is $800 that insurance does not cover. I am really hoping that this works. Aside from work (some days I walk about 4 miles) I have no activity level because I have been trying to heal so now I feel like a big useless lump instead of the in-shape active person that I used to be.

Thanks for listening to me venting

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry... in your line of work, that must be especially miserable. I hope this new treatment works perfectly for you!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen a physical therapist at all for some exercises??

fablegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I work in a podiatrist office as a medical assistant and we see cases of plantar faciitis all the time. First of all, is fracture and muscle rupture ruled out? If so, does it mostly hurt first thing in the morning when you havent been on your feet? If you get home from work and rest for a while, when you get back up does it hurt alot too? If so, you probably have plantar faciitis. There are simple things you can do at home to help, but if it doesnt work than the shockwave therapy might be something to consider. You can try to take a belt and put it under the ball of your foot, while holding the ends. Slowly pull the belt towards you, bringing your toes toward your nose. Repeat this about 10 times on each foot, each morning. You can also stand on a bottom stair and let your heels hang off the edge, like your doing calf exercises, and this will help stretch the muscle the same way. Freeze a pretty big bottle of water, put it under your foot, and roll it forwards and backwards for about 5 mintues on each foot. All of these things help most of our patients, but sometimes it just isnt enough...I hope this helps...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're having achilles problems. I really understand! I've had two total achilles reconstructions. One about 11 years ago and the last one will be 3 years in July. With both tendons, I went years trying all the treatments you mentioned. (except the last one). I know it is very painful and debilitating. I didn't go to a podiatrist but rather an orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in ankles. I have no more achilles pain since the surgeries. Which is SOOO Nice!

I hope you find a doctor that works with you and gets you feeling better. I understand how miserable this can be!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been fitted for orthotics for your shoes? I have a heel spur, and had plantar faciitis. It took three steriod injections before the pain subsided. It's been 3 years now, and I've just started getting a little pain in my heel again....my bad...I haven't been wearing my orthotics.

Good luck. I know what you're going through. It seems like it's 10 times worse when you make your living standing and walking.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fablegirl

I work in a podiatrist office as a medical assistant and we see cases of plantar faciitis all the time. First of all, is fracture and muscle rupture ruled out? If so, does it mostly hurt first thing in the morning when you havent been on your feet? If you get home from work and rest for a while, when you get back up does it hurt alot too? If so, you probably have plantar faciitis. There are simple things you can do at home to help, but if it doesnt work than the shockwave therapy might be something to consider. You can try to take a belt and put it under the ball of your foot, while holding the ends. Slowly pull the belt towards you, bringing your toes toward your nose. Repeat this about 10 times on each foot, each morning. You can also stand on a bottom stair and let your heels hang off the edge, like your doing calf exercises, and this will help stretch the muscle the same way. Freeze a pretty big bottle of water, put it under your foot, and roll it forwards and backwards for about 5 mintues on each foot. All of these things help most of our patients, but sometimes it just isnt enough...I hope this helps...
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Have you been fitted for orthotics for your shoes? I have a heel spur, and had plantar faciitis. It took three steriod injections before the pain subsided. It's been 3 years now, and I've just started getting a little pain in my heel again....my bad...I haven't been wearing my orthotics.

Good luck. I know what you're going through. It seems like it's 10 times worse when you make your living standing and walking.
Am I misunderstanding the original poster? I thought they had achilles tendon problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Am I misunderstanding the original poster? I thought they had achilles tendon problems?
No misunderstanding. The problem is not plantar fascitis (although I have dealt with that in the past and it was very painful), the problem is my achilles tendon.

The orthotics and the shots in the feet (Ouch Ouch OUCH!!!!) did help with plantar fascitis. With the Achilles tendon problem, the first podiatrist that I went to just wanted to keep selling me different varieties of night splints and orthotics. The second podiatrist just had me wear a set of heel lifts and no night splints. It is a major NoNo to give shots in the achilles tendon, so I won't let anyone even consider trying that.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I know that my plantar faciitis was helped by achilles tendon stretches. I was thinking that orthotics might help by changing how the tendon stretches during walking and standing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Sorry, I know that my plantar faciitis was helped by achilles tendon stretches. I was thinking that orthotics might help by changing how the tendon stretches during walking and standing.
Yeah, that is why I am wearing heel lifts...unfortunately, the problem has progressed beyond that. When I first noticed the injury last August, I made a point of trying to stretch it every day. I think that I was a little too agressive with the stretching and may have contributed to furthering the injury.