Stray cat snobs!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So at work the other day I was telling a customer how excited I was to be getting a new kitten. And she said (in a very mean tone) "Well, it better be a stray!" I informed her that I already have a one rescue cat, so this kitten will be a from a breeder. And she lectured me and said how wrong that was, all pissy... Anyways, just needed to vent about that and put it out there. Bringing a kitten home is wonderful, no matter where it came from and you shouldn't feel bad about giving a baby kitten a loving fuurever home

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no problem with getting a kitten from a responsible breeder (not a BYB or a pet store). Some people are so rude...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's your personal choice - yes, some people do take that holier-than-thou attitude.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will one day maybe adopt a purebred cat just for the experience of it. I did not think I would but I have rethought my position. But you know it is such a personal choice. I think breeders are a great resource for information and they keep the felines interesting.
I can't stand self righteousness.

ssmith0385

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have gotten this from MULTIPLE people since I've been excited and waiting on my kitten from the breeder. What they DON'T know is that I had a terrible, scary, expensive, heartbreaking experience with my last cat which was adopted from a shelter. I am terrified of adopting another sick kitty, only to lose her again. It's my personal decision - and even though the health guarantee may not mean much in reality - it's at least psychologically reassuring.

jesi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree thats horrible and I cant stand that type of attitude. I got the eye rolls when I got my first siamese as well as a lecture... its really annoying how ppl can act like that. Ive rescued a good amount of animals but I also see nothing wrong with getting a kitten from a responsible breeder. People need to be more respective towards other people. Its ok to have an opinion but you must also know that yours isnt the only one that matters and they should never try to force their point of view! So annoying!!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Responsible breeders aren't the people that are causing the stray cat problem. They love cats, love their favorite breed and want to let others enjoy them. What makes the difference is that you are the responsible cat owner and will love the cat.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a huge advocate of rescue and adoption, but I can't imagine ever being so uppity about it as to rain on someone else's parade.

If someone was considering buying a kitten from a petstore or byb, I'd certainly try to talk them out of it, but someone getting from a responsible breeder? More power to you! And even if someone already got a kitten from a less-than-reputable source, once the kitten has a home, the only thing you can do is be thankful it has a good home and won't be adding to the already staggering numbers of homeless pets.

I inwardly cringe every time we get a new patient at the vet's office and it's a puppy or kitten from a pet store, but I'd never, ever tell someone they should have adopted instead. That'd be like telling new parents they should have adopted a child instead. Tacky. Just plain tacky. But if someone tells me they're looking for a puppy or kitten, local shelters and Petfinder are the first things I'll mention.

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do agree that every single animal, be it a stray or purebred, should go to a home that is loving. I took in my uncle's cat Tigger from the streets when they moved house and left her behind...

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeDeeMay

I do agree that every single animal, be it a stray or purebred, should go to a home that is loving. I took in my uncle's cat Tigger from the streets when they moved house and left her behind...
And I hope you gave your uncle a piece of your mind.