Cat shock collars???

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A guy that my DH works with put a shock collar on their cat to keep it off the counter. That sounds so mean. Can that hurt the little one?

BTW, Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on here. We are doing great with our cat Frankie. It seems like a lifetime ago that we were having problems with him peeing on the bed. The prescription diet has kept him from getting crystals in his urine and now he only goes in his litter box.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
shock collars are Dangerous for a dog /./// it could be FATAL for a cat as they are usually designed for animals over 8lb s or 20 lbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad we don't go over to their house cuz if I would see them shock their cat I'd probably grab the cat and whip that collar off and take the cat home with me.
I can't believe that they have 2 cats and are going to such an extreme just because the cat hops up on the counter. Heck, ours gets on the counter and we just yell to get down and if he doesn't we pick him up and put him down. If you're going to have a cat, you have to expect they are going to go on the counter sometimes.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shock collars for cats...not a good idea! Hope their cat is going to be okay
There are many different ways of disciplining a cat without a shock collar. Cats are intelligent - they learn quickly...

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure they put a shock collar on the cat? If so that sounds very cruel!
I'm not sure how that would keep the cat off the counter anyway because those collars require someone to be there and push the remote button to deliver a shock. Maybe they meant that they got one of those 'scat mats' that have a shock when the cat steps on them? That would make a little more sense because you could leave it on the counter so the person would not have to be there to 'train' the cat to stay off the counter. (Personally I think those are pretty cruel too though.)

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I'd put the collar on them and then frantically squeeze the shock button.
No kidding.
I don't know how they can do that to their baby.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Are you sure they put a shock collar on the cat? If so that sounds very cruel!
I'm not sure how that would keep the cat off the counter anyway because those collars require someone to be there and push the remote button to deliver a shock. Maybe they meant that they got one of those 'scat mats' that have a shock when the cat steps on them? That would make a little more sense because you could leave it on the counter so the person would not have to be there to 'train' the cat to stay off the counter. (Personally I think those are pretty cruel too though.)
God, I hope I'm wrong. All I know is that my DH wrote to me and told me that they put a shock collar on one of their cats to keep it off the counter tops. Geez, just use some soap and water and wash off your counter before you prepare food on it instead of hurting your cat like that. I'd be scared of permanent damage too.

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Shock collars are NOT made for cats - he's wrong in using it. IMO they are not good for dogs either!
I agree. Even when we had a dog that was a habitual barker we just used a can with pennies in it and would shake the can to get him to break his barking binges. There are so many better alternatives.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is cruel. My cats counter surf and know to stay away from certain areas. Do people really think when they aren't home they aren't surfing away like maniacs on the counters? Mine know that treats are on the treat plate on the floor. So they rarely surf except to look out of my window at the garden.

Like you said clean your counters. I disinfect mine daily.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I truly hate people that use things like that. Pets are not meant to be a decoration that sits around your house and looks nice, never doing anything. Pets are meant to be companions, as full of quirks and preferences, curiosity, and emotion as you. If someone cannot understand this, they do not deserve to own animals.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok this is my first post here so I hope it doesn't make everybody hate me

They actually have shock collars designed specifically for cats now. I think they are for animals from 5 to 20 lbs or something, and have different shock levels. The receivers are supposedly smaller so they are easier for kitties to wear.

Now the disclaimer: I don't agree with putting a shock collar on the cat.(especially for something silly like getting on the counter!) I just wanted to offer a LITTLE hope for y'all worried about the health of the kitty.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm more against them then for them. I know that if used right, they are a good tool for some things for dogs. However, our lab was abused with a shock collar (for barking) and hitting/yelling at her. When we got her she was terrified to even whine. I sometimes wish I knew what her previous owner did to her! Then again......

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned spray bottle (or Supersoaker, depending on your annoyance level/aim)?

I've used that all my life to discourage cats from being places they aren't supposed to. All they learn, ever, is not to be there when people are around, but at least it saves a little embarrassment when guests are over!

(Any time I wander out for a midnight snack, though, there's Ysa on the kitchen table, who always looks at me when she sees me with this utter look of innocence... "Um... how did I get up here?!? It wasn't me!")

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

Whatever happened to the good old fashioned spray bottle (or Supersoaker, depending on your annoyance level/aim)?

I've used that all my life to discourage cats from being places they aren't supposed to. All they learn, ever, is not to be there when people are around, but at least it saves a little embarrassment when guests are over!

(Any time I wander out for a midnight snack, though, there's Ysa on the kitchen table, who always looks at me when she sees me with this utter look of innocence... "Um... how did I get up here?!? It wasn't me!")
Actually, it's not a good idea to spray water at the cats either. If you get water in their ears it can develop into a very nasty ear infection and worse so we TCS folks don't recommend it.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I always aim at their rear ends. I've gotten to be a pretty good shot and I haven't hit their faces, ever, in the year since I started using a water pistol. (It's one of those little cheap ones that just spits a little water... the kind you can use indoors practically.) Actually, after the first couple of times a cat gets a wet butt, I just have to get out the pistol and show it to the cat and they stop doing whatever it is.

For the most part, I don't worry about counters; but water pistols are a good way to keep 'em from annoying each other. Tiny used to get it at least weekly for picking on Baby Girl... nowadays Baby chases him back and I can't remember where my water pistol even is...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's pretty mean for something as minor as walking on the counter.
There are several options for non-painful ways to try and train kitty if they are really determined.

I just clean the counters before I use them for food prep.
I gave up on the counter battle years ago. Even my MIL isn't as strict with her cat about counters/tables anymore.

They actually have shock collars designed specifically for cats now. I think they are for animals from 5 to 20 lbs or something, and have different shock levels. The receivers are supposedly smaller so they are easier for kitties to wear.
That's just plain scary.
Most people who have the dog shock collars use them incorrectly/abusively.