Found a nice scratching post

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week when I was at Target I found a cat scratcher by Pet Essentials - it's 30" tall and has a 15 1/2" base. The round base and top of the post are a pretty pale wood, and the post covering is sisal fabric. It cost $30, the best price I've seen so far for a nice looking post.

We already have a good solid post that my husband built, but I wanted another one that looks nice enough to keep in the living room, so I've been on the lookout for a nice-looking but sturdy and tall post that isn't too expensive. This one seemed to fit the bill, so I bought it and took it home.

It was easy to assemble - from the store it comes in a box, and all I had to do was snap the bottom pieces together, screw the base on, screw the two post sections together, and snap in the top.

The cats all love it. They couldn't wait to sink their claws in.

At 30" it's tall enough for the smaller cats to stretch on it completely, and for the larger cats to stretch on it from an angle, and sturdy enough so they don't knock it over. We've had it for a week now & no one has tipped it over yet (though a large cat who is very young and active could tip it if it tried to). And it's nice looking enough to keep in the living room!

I can't find a photo or link of it online (it's not on the Target web site - I guess it's only available in the stores), but if I can get a good picture of it I'll try to post it later.

Just wanted to share this for those of you who are on the lookout for a tall post.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the kind you mean. I hope it works for your cats, but I would never purchase a small scratching post. The cats outgrow it fast and usually won't use it for very long.

IMO its better to invest in a treehouse a minimum of 4 feet high

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have a treehouse in the spare bedroom, but I've been looking for a post to keep for them in the living room for when the scratching bug bites them, so they go for it instead of the new rug.

Don't worry, they won't outgrow this one - all my cats have been full grown for many years now.
I think 30" is a good height for my crew for a basic post. Your cats must be very large!

It's good to know that standards have changed so much for the better - it used to be nearly impossible to find a post in a store that was more than 20" tall, too short for a grown cat.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My big guy (17 lbs and quite long & tall) likes those small $10 posts from Wal-Mart. I think cats have their own tastes in forts/posts too. We have forts and condos of all sizes but the 2 sisal posts & the sisal wrapped legs of the big tree are favorites of his. Even with the big tree he scrunches down when he scratches. (My guys were front declawed by previous owners but still looooove their scratchers)

My MIL's little cat likes the Wal-Mart posts too. But he's about 1/4 of Stimpy's size.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are medium size cats (10-11 lbs) but both have a LONG reach and like high stuff. I do have a small ramp with cardboard and they seldom use that.

Charlie used it as a kitten, but not anymore.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

They are medium size cats (10-11 lbs) but both have a LONG reach and like high stuff. I do have a small ramp with cardboard and they seldom use that.

Charlie used it as a kitten, but not anymore.
I think Stimpy is just weird.
Raven
and Nabu both liked/like the taller scratchers. Nabu likes one we have upstairs that has to be at least 30" tall. That one was also Raven's
favorite. Nabu is 9lbs but very long and tall.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll need to look into the 30 inch one. My big cats are enormous, and improvise on our old scratching post.

I made one that's 6x24" to hang on a doorknob for the kittens, and they're small enough yet that they can leap up and hang off it.