The. Best. Chocolate. I've. EVER. Had.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since TCS also stands for The Chocolate Site, I've often thought of telling you about Mr. Dorian -- but now that I find he has a website, I can't resist!

There's a great restaurant here called Houston's, where Mom and I love to go, and awhile back, they added to their menu a hot fudge sundae made with fudge and chocolate-covered cornflakes (!) from J. Dorian, a gentleman who had just opened up a chocolate factory next door. Mom and I tried it, and immediately had to go see where it had come from... it was a m a z i n g.

And now we go back there every month or two, always limiting ourselves to two pieces each. Our favorites are the buttercream caramels, which are like liquid sunlight in your mouth... and the champagne truffles, which... well, I cannot describe them, just... no words... no words at all for the extreme concentration of pleasure in that teenytiny chocolate-covered space.

It's all made in a spotless white kitchen behind a glass wall, with huge gleaming copper bowls and arcane stainless-steel devices I can't begin to identify, operated by people in crisply starched white chef's jackets. And Mr. Dorian is a delightful fellow -- I really like him. So I'm glad to be able to give him a little promotion here.
If you ever want to reaaallllly indulge yourself... you can't beat J. Dorian!

http://www.jdorian.com/

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooooooo!!! Sounds yummy!! Chocolate is definitely one of life's necessities and if you plan right, you CAN include it in a weight loss program!!!

All things in moderation!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yummy! That website's chocolates look amazing!!
I bet it's deliscious!!

I also love Houstons too!!! That's one of my favorite resturants around here
Their steaks and shoe string fries are sooooooooooo yummy!! And their salads are just great too!
I haven't been to our Houstons in about 2 years though! (it's a bit pricy) I'll definitely have to suggest it for our birthdays or anniversary though!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As most of you old-timers (
) know, I'm not a big fan of ordinary chocolate, BUT, I would do almost anything for HOT FUDGE. Here in Canada it is rare to see hot fudge anymore. It was quite popular when I was a kid growing up in the Maritimes, but not so now. Whenever I visit the US, I actively look for hot fudge sundaes - I request one small scoop of ice cream and then fill the dish with hot fudge.
I get some wait staff that think it's hilarious and bring me lots of hot fudge and others - not so much.

One time when Jennifer was little I found a place that had hot fudge. The owner was kind enough to order a large container for me when she placed her own order. I melted that stuff in the microwave and added a scoop of ice cream every night for weeks and weeks.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for getting my mouth watering - I can barely wait for dinner now. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to make that blueberry pie tonight after all.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a small family business I think still in Depere/Wrightstown/Oneida WI (quite close by) called R&R Homestead. They make the best hot fudge sauce EVER!!! They also make a yummy butterscotch topping. But the hot fudge-just give me a spoon. Its sold in local grocery stores and isn't too expensive. Google the name to find out more info.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I also love Houstons too!!! That's one of my favorite resturants around here
Oh yes, those shoestring fries... and did you know they make their own ketchup? That's why it's so tangy and fresh! My mom uses the fries primarily as a ketchup delivery device. And once as we were about to leave, I swear, she glanced furtively around to make sure no one was watching, picked up the little silver thimble of ketchup, and drank the last drop!

We go there rarely too, because you're right, the place is outrageously expensive -- but I love the salad with buttermilk garlic dressing and parmesan... that crispy cheese toast with gruyere... those incredible fries... and once a year or so, their Key Lime Pie and their Lemon Cheesecake.

We don't have a "swoon" smilie, so I'll have to go with this:

Originally Posted by u8myufo

Mmmmmmmmmmm chocolaaaaaaate

I am a fan of it myself and joined up with these guys
http://www.chocs.co.uk/
Oh my gosh, what a wonderful wicked indulgence! When the packages arrive, do you take the phone off the hook and close all the blinds?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

As most of you old-timers (
) know, I'm not a big fan of ordinary chocolate, BUT, I would do almost anything for HOT FUDGE. Here in Canada it is rare to see hot fudge anymore. It was quite popular when I was a kid growing up in the Maritimes, but not so now. Whenever I visit the US, I actively look for hot fudge sundaes - I request one small scoop of ice cream and then fill the dish with hot fudge.
I get some wait staff that think it's hilarious and bring me lots of hot fudge and others - not so much.

One time when Jennifer was little I found a place that had hot fudge. The owner was kind enough to order a large container for me when she placed her own order. I melted that stuff in the microwave and added a scoop of ice cream every night for weeks and weeks.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for getting my mouth watering - I can barely wait for dinner now. Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to make that blueberry pie tonight after all.
You would just love the Ghirardelli store/creamery in Ghirardelli Square in SF.

http://www.ghirardellisq.com/ghirard...food.php?id=16

You order a sundae, see the chocolate making process and then can buy all the chocolate products. Plus, you get to be in SF!

Carol, if shoestring potatoes are bad for cholesterol/heart but dark chocolate is good for the same, will having a dark chocolate hot fudge sundae over ice cream balance out the bad from the shoestring potatoes and boost my calcium intake at the same time?

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you ladies are making me jealous. There are no great chocolate shops around here, at least not that I have found!

I would love to be a part of a chocolate tasting club. That would be amazing! But it is located in the UK, so I doubt that they would let people from the US be a part of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Carol, if shoestring potatoes are bad for cholesterol/heart but dark chocolate is good for the same, will having a dark chocolate hot fudge sundae over ice cream balance out the bad from the shoestring potatoes and boost my calcium intake at the same time?
That sounds like a scientifically valid theory to me! Let's see if we can get a research grant on that one...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yeah yeah!!!! You can come and have a fudge sundae, followed by a Smudge funday
Now Sarah, that would be a difficult choice for me. As much as I adore hot fudge, a Smudge funday would be totally irresistible for me.